Help with smoking/leaking fluids - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with smoking/leaking fluids

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnish View Post
I would think your leak was so bad and/or going on so long that its being blown onto the body and then weeping through that tranny tunnel cover.
Very likely

Unread 04-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

As others stated, likely the rear main seal. Also, it could be coming from the dipstick tube or oil filter. Especially if you have a clog in the PVC system or a great deal of blow-by (like me). Degreasing the whole thing and trying to verify the leak site is definitely the way to go.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #18
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Though it well could be the rear seal, also check the back of the valve cover gasket. They can (I had this happen) leak down the back of the block and produce a similar pattern.

If it is a valve cover gasket, DO NOT get the cheap cork one. Spend the extra bucks and get the molded rubber one. WELL worth it.
Had them order in a NON CORK valve cover gasket for my aluminum valve cover. Just picked it up, it's aluminum. Thoughts?

Ooo, just opened it up. Looks like molded rubber with an aluminum core, so I guess I did get the right one after all.
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.