Help with rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with rough idle

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
akagrifty
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Help with rough idle

I have an 89 wrangler with a 4.2 that has a rough idle and at cold starts surges. This started after I replaced the distributor and spark plugs. I didn't replace the cap, rotor, or wires because they were replaced only 5000 miles ago. I checked all the vacuum lines which was not easy. I did the nutter bypass when I rebuilt the engine 5000 miles ago. The carb is brand new also replaced when the engine was rebuilt. I replaced the distributor because the vacuum advance was bad. The ignition module and capacitor were replaced just before the engine was rebuilt. Does anyone have any suggestions because I am out of ideas of what to check and I don't want to pay for something that I could easily check myself?

akagrifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Add a dedicated ground to the black wire in the 3 wire bundle coming from the distributor.

Double and triple check your firing order. And change the plugs and wires one at a time to see if you have a bad one or damaged one while working with them.
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
akagrifty
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I forgot to say that i tried grounding out each plug to see if any one cylinder was getting the misfire but that didn't help at all i would get the 1 cylinder misfire along with the other intermittent misfires on all 6 cylinders. I will try the dedicated ground though thanks.
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If it is nuttered the you need to add the dedicated distributor ground Old 4x suggested.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
akagrifty
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok I added the ground wire and that did nothing. Let me make sure I understood what you meant. I took the black wire from the distributor cut it. Then I spliced those 2 wires with a new wire and ran the new wire to the ground side of the battery.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.