Help Removing Rusted Bolts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help Removing Rusted Bolts?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-22-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
ddwyer
2008 WK 

Help Removing Rusted Bolts?

Does anyone have any tricks on removing rusted bolts?

I am trying to replace the front bumper on my '89 YJ, but the bolts are so rusted in there, I can get them out. I'm thinking I'm going to get an aircompressor and wrench today and give that a shot. The hand tools definitely aren't working.

I've sprayed the bolts with WD-40, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

I believe the bolts are too big for a dremel tool, and I didn't have much luck with that removing the bumper guards (eats up too many discs).

Anyone have any other ideas? Otherwise I'll let you know how the air tools work out.

Thanks in advance.

Tuffy Stereo Center Console
Outlaw Mirrors, BestTop Bikini Top
ddwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

before you use the air tools spray them down with some PB Blaster. You can get it at autozone or advance auto parts. That stuff is the best for rusted bolts. spray them down and let them soak overnight for the best results.
Unread 05-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
JOKER4INK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with ddwyer, PB Blaster is the best stuff I have ever used! Let it soak over night and give it a shot. Another thing to do is to heat up the bolt. If you have a torch or one of those propane torches used to do plumbing, heat the crap out of the stubborn bolt and then give it a turn. Most times, that will work. Try to get the bolt red if you can. The hotter it gets, the more likely it will come free. You can also try giving the bolt a wack with a hammer a few times to hopefully shock the threads. Do you have a breaker bar? If not, a piece of pipe will work. Take a long piece of pipe, at least 2 feet long, and put it on the end of your rachet and you will get some serious leverage to turn that bolt! That might be your best bet, and combined with heat, you should get those out.
Unread 05-22-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
pyro9862

Heat is your friend but a propane torch won't help much if any.
I'd say an impact is better then using a huge pipe, the nature of the way it turns is less likely to break the bolt. It's equivlent to putting a ratchet on the bolt and striking it with a hammer but the blow is delivered in a way you couldn't replicate with a hammer.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
JOKER4INK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I dont know what to tell you, but heat works. I use it at my shop all the time on bolts that wont turn or are severely rusted. An impact gun is the way to go, but if you dont have access to one, a pipe and a rachet is text closest thing to get leverage.
Unread 05-22-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
KMyers

Yeah a pipe and PB blaster! Just make sure it is a good quality ratchet! Or you will fall on your a$$ or get busted knuckels!
KMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Mr. Notorious

If you're using a pipe, make sure you use guaranteed tools (like Sear's Craftsman) because if the bolt is really stuck the weakness might be found in your tools. As for the bolt, I've had very good luck with Sear's Bolt-outs. Don't waste your money on easy-outs and those reverse cut drill bits. PB rocks btw. Good luck.

1967 FJ, linked, 350 chevy, 35's, arbs, blah blah...
2002 TJ

"If you're not moving ahead, you're falling behind"
Mr. Notorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
rattletrap

I agree with everything that all the other folks have said, with the exception of one thing.

1) start with a good penetrating oil, wd40 is not that good of a penetrating oil. be sure to let it sit and soak at least overnight, also be sure to hit it with the oil a couple times in the process.

2) if that doesnt work, try heat.

I also agree that an impact is your best bet, but if you are restricted to using a cheater bar DO NOT put it onto a wratchet!!! there is a very good chance that all you are going to do is break tools an hurt yourself in the process. get a 1/2" breaker bar at the minimum size and be careful working with that much torque can jump up and bite ya right where it counts!

Ratteltrap
rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2005, 06:23 AM   #9
ddwyer
2008 WK 

Looks like I'm going to have to get some PB Blaster. The air tools were of no success in combination with WD-40. So I'll drop by Discount Auto and get some PB Blaster. They are torx (T50) heads, so I have to be careful not to strip the heads.
Unread 05-23-2005, 06:31 AM   #10
wolf3902

Are you sure they're T50 size bolts? I was going to take my bumper off for painting and I think T50 is too small. I was going to ask on here if anyone knows the size as I have to go buy one. Been PB blastering then for days.
Anyone know what size it is?

ONE NATION, UNDER G O D
Support It, or Leave It!
wolf3902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2005, 06:56 AM   #11
pyro9862

It's a t-55, just checked.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2005, 07:16 AM   #12
wolf3902

Thank you...The largest I have is a T50 and I didn't think it fit tight enough..and I sure don't want to strip those bad boys. I'll pick up a T55 today.
Thanks again.

ONE NATION, UNDER G O D
Support It, or Leave It!
wolf3902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2005, 09:12 AM   #13
ddwyer
2008 WK 

Well T-55 Might explain why I'm having so much problems. Having the right size bit tends to help.

Thanks for the input guys.
Unread 05-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #14
rickr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

torx removel kit
dcp_1123.jpg  
rickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
jaret

Naval Jelly is my best friend and worst enemy to rust. Then I follow up with a penetrating oil. I dunno PB but I'm silling to try it.
jaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.