Help with rear driveshaft...u-joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with rear driveshaft...u-joints

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdMarch Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 12-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
DavidWebb
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Help with rear driveshaft...u-joints

I went to change my rear universals today. Stopped last night and bought the new one's. Pulled the shaft out and noticed the rear u-joint looked odd. Kept looking it over and found that it is longer across the bolt on side than the press in side, by a 1/4". Bastard Joint!!!!!.. Went back to Autozone to see if they could match it up and was told they dont carry that kind. Same for Advance and O'Reilly. Now, either Jeep decided to play a mean trick or someone somewhere down the line changed the yoke or the entire rear-end. What do I do now??????

Unread 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have the 1330 at the pinion yoke side, but 1310 at the drive shaft side.

A combo 1330/1310 ujoint can be used to solve the issue.

That, or you've gotta change one of the mount sides to match the other.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

One of these should work if I'm understanding you correctly:

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p464...reaseable.html
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
DavidWebb
1999 XJ Cherokee 

yep...thats it. But I need it for a ride Sunday.
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ask some of your trail buddies if they carry a spare (the one that you need).

I carry ~8 ujoints as spares for different applications.
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Sounds like you have the 1330 at the pinion yoke side, but 1310 at the drive shaft side.

A combo 1330/1310 ujoint can be used to solve the issue.

That, or you've gotta change one of the mount sides to match the other.
Is this a normal occurrence? I was going to change mine but want to make sure I get the right parts. Anything I can look for or do I just have to pull the u-joint to find out?

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's not really "normal" per say, but it does occur when somebody tosses a monkey wrench into things.

I don't think that the factory ever installed a combo joint, but I could be wrong.

The later year(s) of the YJ came with 1330 ujoints at the axle end, while earlier years were solely 1310's.

I forget the exact specs, but you can measure both cross sections of the ujoint at the tcase end, and compare those measurements to those of the rear ujoint to see if there's a mismatch. The 1330 is slightly wider.
Unread 12-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
DavidWebb
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep108 View Post
Is this a normal occurrence? I was going to change mine but want to make sure I get the right parts. Anything I can look for or do I just have to pull the u-joint to find out?
the way I found mine out was to put a tape measure to it. It will read 3 1/2" across the driveshaft yoke and almost 4" across the differential yoke. I don't think this is to common. None of the chain auto part stores have it. If it were common, they should.
Unread 12-31-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks fellas!

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
95 Lowbuck

My 1995, (1996 spec.) came with the bastard u-joint,
see if your local store has one for a late 1995.
95 Lowbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
DavidWebb
1999 XJ Cherokee 

They checked their inventory and tried to match one up, but could not do it. Asked the same of Advance and O'reilly, and nada there too
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

here you go... part numbers for the dummies at the parts stores that cant look in their books

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/13...t-part-618095/

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
DavidWebb
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got the new joints in tonight. took out 90% of the roaring and vibration out of it. still has a vibration at 75mph. is this normal with a locker installed up front???
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
95 Lowbuck

First, did you get your front D.S. checked and balanced.
It must be straight, concentric, and the splines in good shape.
If all that looks good check the U-joint angles.
They must be the same at both ends if using the stock D.S.
95 Lowbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
DavidWebb
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Lowbuck View Post
First, did you get your front D.S. checked and balanced.
It must be straight, concentric, and the splines in good shape.
If all that looks good check the U-joint angles.
They must be the same at both ends if using the stock D.S.
the front shaft was put in new a month ago, it's straight and balanced and is bigger and heavier than stock, new u-joints installed too. The angles are a little funky, instead of being slanted up 4 degree fron diff to TC, it's actually slanted downward about 2 degrees to the TC because of the TC drop kit and the sagging in the front springs. I'm assuming that's the reason and in a couple of weeks I will be replacing the springs all the way around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.