Help please! New "Notch" while turning steering wheel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help please! New "Notch" while turning steering wheel?

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesThe Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Help please! New "Notch" while turning steering wheel?

So over the past few months I've had my springs, shocks, steering stabilizer, (OME, Bilstein, Moog) and sway bar bushings and a few other odds and ends along with new 31" tires, and countless other things around the Jeep replaced. When I got the Jeep back, I really prided myself in how precise the steering is on the highway. I BARELY have to correct the steering direction at all and that is something I can't even say about some new/newer cars I've driven (i also have a 2015 Nissan Rogue)...

Today I went to a local park and the parking lot was full so I decided to park the Jeep with my left two wheels on the grass to stay out of the way. The grass was bordered by stone which was probably 5 inches high, and I stopped parallel to the stone, and turned the wheel to the left, and slowly popped up onto the stone border and grass...

I felt the wheel kind of jump to the left slightly but I wasn't holding it very tight so it would make sense that it would turn more as I went over the stone...

Anway, when I left that part of the park and pulled into another lot very slowly going over the curb at the entrance of the parking lot I felt a slight knock in the steering wheel while the wheel was turned... Taking note of that, on the way home, I payed attention to the steering and it felt like there was a little more play. Nothing too bad But enough for me to notice. But I figured since I lowered my tire pressure 3psi last night (from 26 to 23) that maybe the sligtly less direct steering could have been due to that I'm going to raise the pressure 1.5-2psi in a bit and go for another quick ride to see if it helped make the steering as direct as before....

HOWEVER, when I parked in the garage tonight, while turning the wheel, I felt what I would describe as a "notch" in the steering... Almost like a slight bind that you would not notice unless you just put a very little amount of pressure on the wheel in either direction and try to turn the wheel slower than molasses... That's when you feel it...

I stuck my head out the window and looked at the drivers front tire while doing this test, and i could see that the tire was moving with respect to the steering wheel just fine, UNTIL that "notch"... When that notch in the steering happened, the steering wheel quickly moved past that point a few degrees continuing in the same direction, but the tire stayed where it was before the notch... Then after the notch, the wheel and tire were in unison again...

This is most noticeable with the vehicle off.... I wonder if it was there before today and I just didn't realize it because I had higher tire pressures and it took less effort to turn the wheels, or if it happened today at the park.

I got under the Jeep and had my girlfriend replicate the steering wheel motions and from under the Jeep, I couldn't see play in the tierods or any other visible steering component... And the "notch"sounded like it was coming from somewhere closer to the firewall... Maybe the steering shaft? Or something....

If you all would be so kind as to guide me in the direction of what should I look for and how should I look for it I'd be GREATLY appreciative.

Last edited by YnotJ92; 06-13-2015 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Stupid auto correct....
YnotJ92 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I edited the OP because my stupid autocorrect decided to make grammatical errors for me.
Unread 06-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Inglburt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a the same or simular issue with mine although it is more pronounced. Or day it wasn't there, the next day it was. I'll be watching this post to see what you come up with.
Inglburt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
Bigmaaty
1979 CJ7 

I had something similar happen awhile back. Fitting at the top of my intermediate steering shaft came loose. Easy enough to check.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...61/?highlight=
Bigmaaty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
bgredjeep
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the typical dead spot that is inherent in the inverted T steering used on the YJ. It's pretty much a standard feature on any lifted YJ with the stock steering. A brand new tie rod and drag link help, but only until the new wears off. That's why I did the heim steering on my wife's Jeep. There are other methods to address it as well.

If you have 3/4 ton TRE steering, ruffstuff offers a delrin bushing you can install in place of the drag link dust boot to help keep the steering tight, but I wasn't able to find anything similar for a stock size tie rod.

Have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch the tie rod. If it's what I described you'll see the tie rod rotating up and down as the wheel is turned left and right.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I will take a closer look, but in my initial observations, the tire rods and everything moved fine with no play. I honestly think it has something to do with the steering shaft assembly. I feel the clunk in the steering wheel, and also, sometimes depending on how I take off, or if I hit a bump a certain way, I'll feel a slight "resonance"-if you will- in the form of a slight clunk in the steering wheel as well. Before this, my steering was pretty darn precise, so I don't think it's an inherent issue due to design. Ill check the tie rods per your advice though.
Unread 06-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Also, my horn does not always work. It works intermittently, and the horn button is a little "loose" I guess and it rattles with vibration. Any chance the bearing in the steering column (there is one there right?) can cause that, and the steering issue?
Unread 06-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #8
Partsmke
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've observed something like what you are describing when one or both of the axle ujoints start to bind up. The lower bearing in your steering column can get loose but doesn't usually become notchy. Check the steering shaft by watching it as someone turns the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #9
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bqWTMfpkK0
Unread 06-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #10
bgredjeep
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJ92 View Post
Yep.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Yep.
What do I need to do to fix this? I don't want it!
Unread 06-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Would a drop pitman arm help?
Unread 06-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #13
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What about this http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/1TS-UTK.html?
Unread 06-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #14
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's exactly what I was reffering to in your build thread oem style steering slop. Like stated above the derlin spacer and ruffstuff kit is your best bet.
Unread 06-15-2015, 11:48 PM   #15
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to research that... In the meantime, I read that a drop pitman arm can bring the drag link close to parallel to the tie rod and thus will help prevent it from rotating?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.