Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Help Please!

1K views 27 replies 3 participants last post by  Que89YJ 
#1 ·
Hey guys so, I had a rather long weekend. Now, to add to my frustration, i think another part on the jeep needs replacement :(

So here goes. Last week about midweek, i noticed my alternator appeared to be going out. I went to start the jeep friday morning and it was totally dead. So, my roomate helped me jump my wrangler. Unfortunately I should have paid closer attention but didn't. He crossed the leads at his battery and by the time I realized it, it was too late. I put my side on my jeep and hopped in the cab. That was my mistake, I couldnt see anything he was doing. Last time I EVER assume someone knows how to jump a car again. I asked him if he knew and he said yes... oh well back to the story at hand.

So anyway, I fried fuses right and left. The two main 50A fuses went out, my stereo, my amps, etc. I replaced the two 50A fuses (I believe one was to the alternator and the other i am not 100 percent sure about). Had my buddy help me from now on rather than my roomate... LOL

We replaced the alternator and the battery. Viola! jeep started and Im getting 14.7V charging. I thought that was the end of it, but I have been noticing something odd. My jeep (1994 wrangler YJ with 4.0L) now seems to run rough until I give it gas when i first start it. Its almost as if the fuel injected 6 cylinder is going to die. Its always at about 500rpms when this happens. I give it a bit of gas and its all fine, idles perfectly.

Today before heading to work at 1:20PM, it took quite a lot of cranking and I even had to pump the gas to start my jeep. Im wondering if the fuel is draining back into my tank. What do you guys think? Im wondering if its the backpressure sensor. No check engine light on, but the check engine light did come on when I drove with the bad alternator and new battery (just to get back home). Swapped alternators and the light went away.

Thanks for the help!

See less See more
#27 ·
Que! Sorry, its been a while since ive updated the thread. I am fairly certain my fuse that blew previously was just a bad quality Chinese fuse. Jeeps been running good. I rented the equipment to test the fuel pressure and hopefully will get to that either today or tomorrow after work! Thanks again for your help :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.