Help! Pitman Arm Wont come Off! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Pitman Arm Wont come Off!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
bstubbs11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Help! Pitman Arm Wont come Off!

I have broken 2 arm pullers, gone through a bottle of PB blaster and cut through about 90% with a cut off tool and the stupid thing still will not come off. I do not want to cut any more for fear of hitting the splines and i have been banging on the cut with a chisel for an hour. I don't have access to a torch and obviously don't want to drive it after cutting through it so much. If anyone has any magic tricks on how to get this thing to come off please learn me your ways. Thanks!

bstubbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing I would say would either be a propane or Mapp gas torch, heat and beat is probably the only way. Maybe use the chisel to widen the cut you made.
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Finish the relief cut or start hitting the relief cut with a good cold chisel. That's how I got mine off.

If you can get enough relief put a puller back on tighten and then use some heat. Just keep your body parts out if the way.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
kevinmc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Buy a better puller the cast metal pullers will not work they do not have adequate tensile strength

and if you cut it that could also cause a problem because as you pull on one side it will pinch on the other working against you
kevinmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Cut it again directly across from the other cut.
Easiest way I have found to take a pitman arm off is.
Put the puller on, place a long bar or pipe on top of the pitman arm, as close to the splines as you can get, one long enough that it sticks out on top of the engine.
Have someone tap on the bar as you tighten the puller.
If you do not have another person tighten the puller, tap on the bar a few times, tighten puller ect.
This has worked for me numerous times.
Even pulling old Waggy pitman arms off.
Remember to leave the nut on a few threads.
When the pitman arms do decide to come off they can come off like a bullet.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Make a second cut on the other side. I've had to do this a few times. They can be a pecker.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $² = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
kevinmc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

BTW why are you changing the pittman arm they very seldon ever need to be replaced they are a NON wear part... only real reason to replace it may be if you put in a lift kit
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
bstubbs11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip on leaving the nut on, that has been in the back of my mind the whole time. I will give all of these a go tomorrow and hopefully the fifth day is a charm. Looks like its back to the store for another puller.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
kevinmc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

BTW why are you changing the pittman arm they very seldom ever need to be replaced they are a NON wear part... only real reason to replace it may be if you put in a lift kit
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
bstubbs11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmc View Post
BTW why are you changing the pittman arm they very seldon ever need to be replaced they are a NON wear part... only real reason to replace it may be if you put in a lift kit
I am in the middle of installing a 4in lift and will be putting another 1in body lift on next week. I seriously debated not switching out the pittman but after some research i decided with this much lift is was a good idea to switch. Now with the giant cut in it I am to far in to change my mind.
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pittman arms can be a real booger to pull, and when they finally give way, they come off with a BANG! You've done all the right things, PB blaster, heat, etc. At this point, complete the cut thru the arm. If you scuff up or cut some into the splines it will not weaken the steering shaft, nor in any way affect putting on the new arm so long as you dress up the edges of the cut to remove any burrs. I've cut off several that I could not get off with heat, PB, repeated efforts, etc. I don't cut away with total abandon, but cut down gradually til there is very little if anything left holding it together, then put in a thin chisel to spread the cut and they will fall off for you, or at least come off super easy with the puller then. Just complete your cut.

Don't shove on the new one dry, put a little anti-seize on the splines, or some wheel bearing grease. You never know when you may want to pull it off again.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
bill8bud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Finish the relief cut or start hitting the relief cut with a good cold chisel. That's how I got mine off.

If you can get enough relief put a puller back on tighten and then use some heat. Just keep your body parts out if the way.

Sent from underneath my Jeep
X2 on this. I went through the same ordeal. i cut mine a little deeper and I hit it with an air chisel to get mine off.

Do the antisieze on the new pitman arm.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Whack the pitman arm with a hammer a few times. Tapered fittings need to be jarred loose
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #14
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get a good puller on it. TIghten it down as tight as you can without breaking the puller. Walk away come back in the morning and pick the pitman arm up off the floor and put the new one on.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
eajones_01WJ
2001 WJ 

you want to heat the arm and not the splines and do it fast enough that the splined shaft doesnt expand with it. you have to be careful though because you can melt seals in the steering gear if you let to much heat transfer to it. i had to do mine a year ago and it took me 3 hours to get it off. very frustrating, and the rest of the project, 4 tie rod ends, to me 1 hour. good luck sir!
eajones_01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.