HELP! Oil Pressure Switch (elbow connector) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! Oil Pressure Switch (elbow connector)

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
pacopaco
1995 YJ Wrangler 

HELP! Oil Pressure Switch (elbow connector)

Hi all,

I'm having a crazy time figuring why the elbow connector from the oil pressure switch to the block is leaking oil, a lot of oil. It's a 5.00 dollar part, and I've already replaced it. Wrapped Teflon tape around the thread.
Anyone have any suggestions ?I'm at a loss.

1995 Jeep Wrangler, 4 Cyl. standard trans. 4WD

Last edited by pacopaco; 12-08-2008 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: left out info
pacopaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd buy a new elbow, and install it after cleaning up the threads with a tap and die set. That is, as long as you have confirmed the switch itself didn't fail on you.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
pacopaco
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks havasu,

i did replace the elbow. here's what I'm thinking:

1) I didn't tighten it enough ( though I don't want to overtighten)

2) not enough teflon. I didn't put on any black Silicon, which I think I probably should have.

3) is it posible that the threaded hole expanded? I would think, though, that if it had, somthing else would have gone belly-up before the elbow connector.

The switch itself is fine. that was replaced at the start of this year. the leak is definitely from the contact of the elbow and the block.
pacopaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Felonious_monk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible that someone tried to tap the hole to accept machine thread?

I'm pretty sure that it is 1/4" NPT thread.....i could be wrong.

Also, I bought a tube of high heat Liquid PTFE. It was real cheap, and is the same thing as teflon tape but liquid. Put the liquid on the male end of the fitting and screw her down tight. Let it sit overnight, and you should be good to go.

Good Luck
Felonious_monk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.