HELP! Oil Leak! 2.5, 4 Cylinder. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! Oil Leak! 2.5, 4 Cylinder.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO TeraFlex JK 2/4 Door 2.5" Lift Kit!! DEALS AT ROCKRID

Unread 04-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #1
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

HELP! Oil Leak! 2.5, 4 Cylinder.

Help! My 1994 YJ with the 4 angry squirrels is suddenly leaking lots of oil down near the oil filter. I have swapped on a brand new filter and it is still leaking lots of oil. It is very difficult to see what's going on down there. Very black and dark and oily. I cleaned a bunch of oil off last night and my son drove the Jeep to school today, and the Jeep is now covered again. Drips are coming off the oil filter, as well as the thing to the left of the oil filter.

In March I just had the Clutch replaced and while they did the clutch, they did the rear main seal. I'm hoping this isn't the rear main seal. The oil is even sprayed on the top side of the distributor cap and plug wires.

The drivers side of the engine is clean.

It does not appear to be coming from the valve cover.

Any suggestions? Here are some terrible photos.

Unread 04-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Its the oil pressure sender.. FIX IT BEFORE you drive again... Or you will lose the engine..

I have bought a lot of jeeps with blown engines from that sender.. It breaks open and all the oil sprays out in seconds and then you spin a bearing or 6
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check the oil sending unit, it's located right near the filter has a wire going to it. Mine cracked last year made a huge mess.
Unread 04-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
bruinjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

x2 on the above.

But from your first pic, it looks dry in that area, with even a clean dust build up on top of it. It could still be spraying backwards out between the mating surface.

Hope you find the culprit - and if you want to look at the positive, leave the oil that's already sprayed all over the place, free rust proofing for years to come. (this is why my underside is totally rust free )

While you're at it - up the brand of filter you use. That generic thing just ain't good.
Unread 04-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I'll check the oil sending unit.
That filter is excellent. It is a Mann's Oil Filter. Anti-drain back valve inside. Standard equipment on all Volvo's.
Unread 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The oil sending unit seems dry. The top of it is dry and has dust on it. I'll see if I can get a better look at the sender unit with the engine running.
In the second photo, you can see oil dripping down from the thing to the right of the filter. Is that where the distributor goes into the engine? Is the distributor a possible oil leak source?
Unread 04-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Dingo1033

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any chance the oil filter is double gasketed? I've done it, just a thought.
Unread 04-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Marino View Post
Is the distributor a possible oil leak source?
Yes, there is a gasket or o ring in there that makes that same mess when its leaking. Carefully remove the distributor to check, clean and change it out
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2015, 05:19 AM   #9
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo1033 View Post
Any chance the oil filter is double gasketed? I've done it, just a thought.
Thanks. That's what I thought originally and part of the reason I swapped on a new oil filter. Nope. No double gasket situation going on with the oil filter.
Unread 04-28-2015, 05:20 AM   #10
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looks like I'll go ahead and swap out the oil sender unit and get a new distributor gasket installed as part of the process of elimination.

edit: I'm picking up an oil sender unit and distributor gasket on my way home from work tonight.
Unread 04-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
mizzle00
1992 YJ Wrangler 

FYI, I just replaced the oil sending unit. Advance auto is where I bought the part. You can do in store pickup usually for free, and coupon code TRT30 for 30% off. The socket they sell is not deep enough to remove the old unit. I got the socket from Auto Zone. I suggest you pick up the new part, and then try sockets until you find one deep enough.

When mine was leaking, I was able to get the plastic electrical boot off the top of the unit (where the wire(s) go in). After taking that off the old one, I saw where the oil was leaking from, the top of the unit that's inside the plastic boot. The plastic boot was not removable on the new part, (thus the problem with socket depth). Before taking this boot off, it was impossible to see where exactly it was leaking from.
mizzle00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #12
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Update. I put in a new oil pressure sensor but the old one seemed fine and not leaky. More oil around the distributor. I started taking the distributor off but ran into a problem. I can't get the bolt off the plate that secures the distributor to the block. I can't get a wrench or socket on it. What's the trick and what size wrench?
Thanks!
Unread 04-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a 1/2 inch wrench with a bigger off-set and could barely get the distributor bolt off. Had to go slow. No fun, but got it done.

The old distributor gasket was rock hard and baked onto the distributor. It was very hard to get it off, but I managed.

There was lots of oil there on the block at the distributor. So while it was out I cleaned the block off with brake cleaner. Cleaned up as much as I could reach so that I can tell better if the leak returns.
Got it all back together and let the jeep idle for about 25 minutes in the garage. No leaks observed. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is resolved.

Tom
Unread 04-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #14
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Update. Looked at the Jeep again this morning. There is a drip coming off of the oil filter. Can see that it forms at the base of the oil filter and drips down and off the top of it.
Also some oil near the starter.
I'll swap on another filter I guess in case this one is bad.
Is there anything about the place where the filter is mounted to the block I should look at?
Unread 04-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #15
Jeepsr4me

Look and see if there is another gasket stuck on it.. Also make sure you put oil on the seal BEFORE you screw it on.
That way the seal slides as you tighten it. Also read the box on the filter.. It will say after the seal contracts the sealing surface go 1/2 turn or ??? Do that... Too many people over tighten them and crack the seal
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.