Help! Oil In Airbox! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Oil In Airbox!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #61
bmart

call them again after looking at the link..they said the guy must have misunderstood me ha..its gonna be quite a bit after its all said and done tho

Unread 10-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #62
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Goggle wheel adapters or check eBay. Several companies out there to choose from.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #63
bmart

well more bad news....the oil fill spot..i opened the lid and some smole...could it be the diesel still in there?
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #64
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmart View Post
well more bad news....the oil fill spot..i opened the lid and some smole...could it be the diesel still in there?
Yes most definitely. Do an oil change and get that diesel out of there.

Sorry but IMHO that was a mistake to do. You could of dropped the pan and removed the timing cover and cleaned them up.
Unread 10-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #65
bmart

was told by grandpa that it would clean it out..he has been a mechanic for many years..i'm changing oil in 50 miles
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #66
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
was told by grandpa that it would clean it out..he has been a mechanic for many years..i'm changing oil in 50 miles
He may be right about cleaning it out. Leaving all the sludge in the fine mesh screen of the oil pump pick up.....................
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #67
bmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
He may be right about cleaning it out. Leaving all the sludge in the fine mesh screen of the oil pump pick up.....................
what now? u lost me...i scraped out all the sludge with a screwdriver..i didnt just knock it into the oil pan..vaccumn and air hose also got it out
Unread 10-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #68
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what now? u lost me...i scraped out all the sludge with a screwdriver..i didnt just knock it into the oil pan..vaccumn and air hose also got it out
My worry is not what you did with the screwdriver and vacuum. It is with the diesel fuel (a solvent) which may have loosened sludge from other areas of the engine.

That sludge would be thick and gooey. Just like what you cleaned up in the valve cover and head.

The oil pump pickup has a screen in it that could easily get restricted/plugged. Once this happens oil will have a hard time flowing into the oil pump.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_High-Volume-Oil-Pump-Melling_15680021-P_151_R|GRPENGPAMS_1366875530____

At the very least I`d run the engine, keeping on eye on oil pressure and make sure you have flow up through the pushrods into the top end.

Better approach would be to drop the oil pan and clean or replace the oil pump screen.

Your talking about your engines lubrication system here. If the pump cannot pass the oil your bearings are not getting fed.
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #69
bmart

it suns a tad under 40 while i drive in fifth gear at about 55 sometimes a couple marks below 40..its running pretty good now
Unread 10-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #70
bmart

do i need to replace that pump or even mess with it?
Unread 10-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #71
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I doubt you'll need to replace it, but it would be a good idea to just drop the pan and clean everything out real good, just like the valve cover. You have no idea how much crap can end up in the bottom of an oil pan, especially if you run cleaners and solvents thru the engine... I had almost 4 lbs of gunk once! and it was just like road tar!
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #72
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
I doubt you'll need to replace it, but it would be a good idea to just drop the pan and clean everything out real good, just like the valve cover. You have no idea how much crap can end up in the bottom of an oil pan, especially if you run cleaners and solvents thru the engine... I had almost 4 lbs of gunk once! and it was just like road tar!
I am going to disagree with the Ironman on this one.

Your engine has xxx amount of miles on it. You have the pan off to clean everything up. A few more minutes and a little more $$ means you have a new pump. As an added bonus the new pump will come with a new strainer.

You probably could get by with just cleaning the strainer but it is cheap insurance to do it all.
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #73
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
I am going to disagree with the Ironman on this one.

Your engine has xxx amount of miles on it. You have the pan off to clean everything up. A few more minutes and a little more $$ means you have a new pump. As an added bonus the new pump will come with a new strainer.

You probably could get by with just cleaning the strainer but it is cheap insurance to do it all.
Yeah you have a point. I'll have to agree, a new oil pump can't hurt. They don't burn out very often (which is what I really meant), but you may as well as long as you're under there. It's cheap insurance.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #74
bmart

ok thanks guys went down the road and when i came back the tires went flat..musta sliced em pretty bad from the looks of it..just my luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.