Help! Oil In Airbox! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Oil In Airbox!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
lilscoot250
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Also if i remeber correctly it was either a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench pull the vaccum line off, clean the port out with some break clean, reinstall the port and test drive it. Also replace the air cleaner and clean out the air box

Unread 10-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #17
bmart

it wouldn't possibly be needing rebuilt and tht be blow by could it..i guess the guy has never looked to see if it even had an air filter and he had it for seven months...i just began thinking that
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
lilscoot250
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well there is always that posibilty but work smarter not harder start with the easiest part first. Its like when you have an electrical issue the first thing you check is the fuse you dont just go replaceing all the componets cause if its just a fuse it would suck to replace all that stuff and it still have the same problom for a blown fuse
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
bmart

very true..ill keep ya posted on it boys...thanks so far for the replies..any other help would be appreciated..thanks
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmart View Post
very true..ill keep ya posted on it boys...thanks so far for the replies..any other help would be appreciated..thanks
You're worrying too much.. every Jeep I've ever seen had this. They run fine forever but spit out a lot of oil. Simple fix can be done in an hour easy and probably no tools needed either.

Take the lines off the valve cover, should be 2 of them. Dunk them in a pan full of gas or something, clean them out real good. Make sure the holes in the valve cover and intake, etc. are also clear and clean. Clean the gunk out of the air filter box, and put it all back together with a fresh air filter. I find it takes some good tight hoses for the system to work right - this means if the hoses are old or leak, then it'll continue to be a problem. You got to have good vacuum on these, the more the better. Completely the opposite of a diesel.

On mine, the hoses were 20 yrs old originals so I had to replace a couple short pieces. They were all stiff and loose and rotted. Less than 2 bucks at autozone, with another 7 bucks for the air filter. Problem fixed!
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #21
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Don't panic!!!!, it wouldn't be a jeep if it didn't dvelope this problem. It's as common as replaceing a fuel filter on a jeep inline engine. If your engine needed rebuilt, it would blow oil out the tail pipe. I found the part numbers for the kits at the time on the net. I used key words "jeep 4.0 oil blow -by in airbox". Sites popped up with articles on how to fix, some even had diagrams of the lines to replace with parts numbers. It's really a simple fix and as mentioned, it won't hurt anything if you don't fix it right away. You just go through a lot of air filters.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
AnonymousD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I also have this problem. I went to the parts store today and got a new filter and 5 ft of hose for $12. Hopefully that fixes it.
AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #23
bmart

well i took the pvc off the valve cover also the other hose infront of it blew a chunk of something out...thought it fixed it, but then i smelled oil again and what do ya kno..more oil..also found out that i believe it has been going on for a while..they drilled a few holes in the bottom of the air box..the new valve elbow will be here tomorrow..i hope this will fix it..i dont know what else to try
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #24
bmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscoot250 View Post
Also if i remeber correctly it was either a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench pull the vaccum line off, clean the port out with some break clean, reinstall the port and test drive it. Also replace the air cleaner and clean out the air box
i tried with everything I had to get the line off with a wrench...it wouldn't budge so i just pulled the hose off..could it be plugged up where i couldnt get it off?
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #25
bmart

plus i checked...and no blow by..made me feel lots better
Unread 10-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #26
lilscoot250
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well if worse comes to worse you can pull the valve cover and just replace the gasket im sure its leaking they always are
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #27
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmart View Post
i tried with everything I had to get the line off with a wrench...it wouldn't budge so i just pulled the hose off..could it be plugged up where i couldnt get it off?
Actually yeah it could plug up there. The smaller hose is the worst for this tho. A lot of guys just take the whole cover off and clean it inside at that point. You did real good when you got that one chunk crud out of the line - that's the kind of thing that causes all this.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #28
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

In order for the system to work properly..........and it will work................ All the lines need to be clean and free flowing. The part most miss is the baffles UNDER the valve cover.

You need to remove the valve cover and then remove the baffle plates. Clean them up good and reassemble. This question comes up often but most folks don`t know about the baffles in the CCV system.

Read this
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/v...stion-1097823/

Then there is a small orifice in the REAR breather elbow. that gets plugged.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ite-up-733669/

Yes it is a bit of work but it will solve your oil problem and may provide a better running engine. Plus better vent control to your HVAC.

Post up if you have any other questions.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #29
bmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
In order for the system to work properly..........and it will work................ All the lines need to be clean and free flowing. The part most miss is the baffles UNDER the valve cover.

You need to remove the valve cover and then remove the baffle plates. Clean them up good and reassemble. This question comes up often but most folks don`t know about the baffles in the CCV system.

Read this
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/v...stion-1097823/

Then there is a small orifice in the REAR breather elbow. that gets plugged.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ite-up-733669/

Yes it is a bit of work but it will solve your oil problem and may provide a better running engine. Plus better vent control to your HVAC.

Post up if you have any other questions.
here is some pics of what the stuff looks liike..the plastic elbow things are broke, and it appears they have rigged hoses to make it work. Also there is a hose that appears to go to the brake booster..the hose barely hangs on..could this be my problem too..anyone have the part numbers to replace everything on the valve cover like the plastic fittings and tubes..any help is greatly appreciated thanks guys...its a 93 wrangler 4.0 if that helps

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #30
bmart

if anyone would like to txt or anything to help whatso ever my number is 812-89O-2382
thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.