JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Help! Oil In Airbox! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/help-oil-airbox-1274836/)

bmart 10-09-2011 07:30 PM

Help! Oil In Airbox!

I just bought a 1993 jeep yj with six cylinder and five speed off of a family friend. I drove it around a couple blocks and it drove strong and pulled well. It drove amazing on the way home also, but I smelled oil. There was a pretty junky car ahead of me so i thought it was him. I got home and still smelled it. I opened the hood and oil was dripping all over the driver side. I noticed the air box had oil on it so curious, i opened it. There was no filter, and oil in bottom...what is going on? PCV valve? Valve oil returns clogged? Help me out please guys

lilscoot250 10-09-2011 07:41 PM

On my 2.5l it had a vaccum port on the valve cover that was clogged and it caused my air box to fill up with, i unclogged a year ago and it hasnt done it since. I think the i6 has the same thing

oldtime_ironman 10-09-2011 07:44 PM

Yep, it happens a lot. The line on the valve cover get clogged. Best thing is to clear them out with solvent and put them back on. Blow through them after you put them on, to make sure they're plenty cleared out. Also make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks - the crank case ventilation needs a good stout vacuum to work properly.
Oh, and welcome to JF, you just found one of the best Jeep sites anywhere! :wave:

bmart 10-09-2011 07:44 PM

is that what the pcv valve is?..its got me kinda worried

bmart 10-09-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman (Post 12295267)
Yep, it happens a lot. The line on the valve cover get clogged. Best thing is to clear them out with solvent and put them back on. Blow through them after you put them on, to make sure they're plenty cleared out. Also make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks - the crank case ventilation needs a good stout vacuum to work properly.
Oh, and welcome to JF, you just found one of the best Jeep sites anywhere! :wave:

what line on the valve cover? any pics i guess? and thanks i always like a good welcoming!

moonshinefuel 10-09-2011 07:48 PM

Yours has no pcv valve. It has this;
Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV): A system in which crankcase vapors are discharged into the engine intake system (usually via the intake manifold) where they are burned during the combustion process rather than being discharged into the atmosphere.

lilscoot250 10-09-2011 07:51 PM

It should be just a random vaccum line going into the valve cover on mine it is copper colored and it just unscrews from the valve cover

bmart 10-09-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshinefuel (Post 12295285)
Yours has no pcv valve. It has this;
Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV): A system in which crankcase vapors are discharged into the engine intake system (usually via the intake manifold) where they are burned during the combustion process rather than being discharged into the atmosphere.

local parts store found it in the system...but what is the ccv? should i be worried at all guys...im new to the jeep thing but i know if a diesel does tht it is a bad bad day

wendell 10-09-2011 07:52 PM

I forget the exact in and outs, but the 4.0 is noted for this when they get some age on them. The fix was to replace all the plastic lines conected to the valve cover, pc valve and to clean out the valve cover it's self. I use to have the part numbers for the replacement line kits when I had my jeep comanche with a 4.0 that had the same problem a few years ago. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, but just wanted you to know that it isn't a big deal. Some of the lines get clogged after time and what not and it cause's back presure that pushes oil into places that it shouldn't. I remember that there were 2 kits that replaced all the plastic lines that cause the problem and you could still get them from jeep, plus a good scrubbing of the valve cover. Some one else may have more detailed info for you. However, don't panic, it's just a 4.0 thing that can be easily fixed.

bmart 10-09-2011 07:58 PM

any one have those part numbers? i wanna take it out as soon as possible...im afraid to drive it now

lilscoot250 10-09-2011 08:00 PM

Its no big deal at all i have put 40k miles on mine since i cleaned it out running back and fourth from ks to tx and no problom every 3k miles i have only burnt .5 a quart or so on a 2.5 with 165k on it

bmart 10-09-2011 08:04 PM

i prolly shouldn't drive it now should i? i only got to drive it a whole 20 min..and now she is parked.....

lilscoot250 10-09-2011 08:06 PM

Takes 5 min to clean the vaccum port then your back on the road

bmart 10-09-2011 08:11 PM

seriously? dang...i'll go to the license branch tomorrow and it'll be on the road....what all does that involve...also should i go ahead and replace my hoses and stuff? i got a good enough deal i can put some money into it

lilscoot250 10-09-2011 08:30 PM

I didn't need to replace any lines on mine they were all still good, it was just clogged but mine was a texas jeep i dont know the condition of your hoses if your hoses are brittle then i would replace them for preventative maintanance save you trouble down the road. But if the hoses are in condition then i wouldnt im a big beleiver in not fixxing something that aimt broke.

The time now is 12:40 AM.