HELP with offroad lights recomendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP with offroad lights recomendations

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 06-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
proFISHent
1988 YJ Wrangler 

HELP with offroad lights recomendations

looking to add some lights to the windshield mounts.

I need them to be reliable, bright, yet fairly inexpensive.

I was looking at the Hella Black magic 500s on ebay for 102$ shipped.

I was also looking at some off name brand LED off road lights with 9 bulbs and 27w output.

LEDs seem better since they are lower amp draw on batteries but are they any good offroading or do they tend to drain your eyes after a while??

Any other light ideas would be awesome. Would rather not spend much more than 100 bucks for a pair and I dont want huge 8 or 10 inch lights as I light a more "sporty" low profile feel

proFISHent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Tell us about your night wheeling in Florida.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

aircraft landing lights work great for me.

the new photobucket sucks or i would upload pics for you and a write up on how to build them easily. cost about 30 or 40 bucks to build your own. google it or search it on here
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't mean my post to be ridiculing in any way, there are just about a hundred different factors to consider when it comes to lighting your path offroad. Biggest isn't always best especially when it comes to cleaning it or when someone else can't see because of it. Spot beam or floods? Also a big debate. How long are your trails that you need to see far away? If they're twisty enough get two pairs that you can point one at a 45* angle on the windshield at eye level so you can get some peripheral on the next obstacle.

And it goes on and on and on and on.
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Tell us about your night wheeling in Florida.
I immediately thought of the "Willy Wanka" memes with this comment.
Something like this;

Or...

Night wheeling sucks without proper lighting. Ask me how I know....especially when you add the "moon dust" crap we have out here...

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
proFISHent
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ill try to upload some pictures. Mostly winding trails on palmetto flats. At times my headlights go under water in deep holes and everything goes jet black lol!!!! Its stressful moments.

The biggest issue is there just isnt enough lighting where I go. Its 60k acres of pitch black. theres some rather large mud pits, a lot of water holes and quite a few stumps that I REALLY need to see before popping a tire.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen (and women)
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the 9 light 27w LED lights off ebay. Pair of spots on windsheild and pair of floods on front bumper. I really like them super bright, easy to install and each light only pulls like 2amps. Which to me was a huge plus because I'm still running the stock alt. I have run the leds for hours and hours on night runs and have no complaints other than once I cut them off it seems super dark because they light up everything in front of you. I could not imagine wheelin with just the stock headlights anymore
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
proFISHent
1988 YJ Wrangler 

lol jamnjeep......it isnt easy. do you know who you bought them from ? they seem like they are all the same.

Also is there that much of a difference between the spots and the floods? which would you reccomend? im thinking floods up by windshield?
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of tuff lights from amazon, they are very well made and very bright. they are a flood light and will illuminate about 75-100 ft.
I have them on the bumper and will probably add a set of spots to the windshield.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I like spots at eye level.
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
sdoherty
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone know of a source for aircraft landing light covers? Inspection told me they have to be covered. Could not find any such product.

TY
sdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Someone made some bags for them not too long ago. I think the Virginia authorities would be pleasantly affirmative in passing you if you had a couple Crown Royal bags over top of your lights. They love that stuff there.
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
sdoherty
1992 YJ Wrangler 

tnks - yeah they let me go but for next time I wanted to be ready - plus driving around with 8 lights visible makes me nervous. I have 4 aircraft on the bumper, the two stock, and also two on my mirrors.. crown royal bags would look funny plus I like scotch and those cardboard tubes would look even funnier...
sdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

crown royal covers, great idea! have to stop at my favorite grog shop and pick up a few.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
proFISHent
1988 YJ Wrangler 

anticanman, as far as spots at windshield level go....with 2 spotlights, how much area does it light up at say 100 ft?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.