HELP! NO SPARK GOING INTO IGNITION COIL what could it be?! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! NO SPARK GOING INTO IGNITION COIL what could it be?!

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

nothing. You are cutting and splicing a few wires to bypass the computer controls for the carb.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #17
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAjeep88 View Post
You know what you make alot of sense it might be nuttered im going to check in the morning.
HUSH YOUR MOUTH!!
You'll ruin all my cred on PRC

Thanks.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #18
DAjeep88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
nothing. You are cutting and splicing a few wires to bypass the computer controls for the carb.
Gotcha thanks man ill keep you guys posted
DAjeep88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
DAjeep88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
HUSH YOUR MOUTH!!
You'll ruin all my cred on PRC

Thanks.
So I just looked at it and it is nuttered, so where were you going with that question?
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The ground for the distributor and coil are different on a nuttered Jeep. Did you check power with a multimeter at the coil? Check the ground on the coil? Check the distributor ground.
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
DAjeep88

Quote:
The ground for the distributor and coil are different on a nuttered Jeep. Did you check power with a multimeter at the coil? Check the ground on the coil? Check the distributor ground.
Well I definitely know that I dont have any power going into the ignition coil and I noticed that when I moved the yellow wire or positive wire on the ignition coil it gave it power and the jeep actually turned on but Once i stepped away it shut off and now it seems to have the same problem
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #22
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAjeep88 View Post
So I just looked at it and it is nuttered, so where were you going with that question?
Depending on the skill and inteligence of the PO you never know which wires they fussed with doing the nuttering.
You said it worked after you moved the positive lead TO the coil? first and simple, remove the lead, buff it with some fine sand paper, wire brush the positive terminal and replace everything. See if that works. Could be as simple as corrosion getting in the way. It could also be a bad wire. So if the clean up doesn't work trace that yellow wire back to a connection point and get a new piece of primary wire to jump it out.
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #23
DAjeep88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Depending on the skill and inteligence of the PO you never know which wires they fussed with doing the nuttering.
You said it worked after you moved the positive lead TO the coil? first and simple, remove the lead, buff it with some fine sand paper, wire brush the positive terminal and replace everything. See if that works. Could be as simple as corrosion getting in the way. It could also be a bad wire. So if the clean up doesn't work trace that yellow wire back to a connection point and get a new piece of primary wire to jump it out.
Yes I actually did the cleaning and spliced the wire to make sure it was extra clean and the ignition coil is brand new with no corrosion on it...So im going to replace that yellow wire and see if that works what do you think?
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No, if you don't have power on that wire you need to look at the brown resistive wire that comes off the alternator that feeds the yellow wire. If you look at the alternator there is a 2 wire connector with a red and a brown on it. That brown is the ignition feed for the alternator. It is a resistive wire to lower power to the coil and prevent it from failing. It is brown off the alternator and then spliced to the yellow wire that you have going to the coil. Check it. Also check to make sure you have the 12Vdc on the red wire at the alternator.
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
DAjeep88

Quote:
No, if you don't have power on that wire you need to look at the brown resistive wire that comes off the alternator that feeds the yellow wire. If you look at the alternator there is a 2 wire connector with a red and a brown on it. That brown is the ignition feed for the alternator. It is a resistive wire to lower power to the coil and prevent it from failing. It is brown off the alternator and then spliced to the yellow wire that you have going to the coil. Check it. Also check to make sure you have the 12Vdc on the red wire at the alternator.
Okay so splice the yellow wire going to the positive side of the ignition coil and then splice the brown wire going into the alternater and connect them directly?
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a meter? You are going to need to check a couple votages and a resistence. Disconnect the battery.From the brown wire connector on the alternator to the yellow wire on the coil. It is a resistance (OHMS) wire so you will see some resistance but you should see good continuity. Reconnect and connect the battery and turn the key on. Check voltage(Vdc) on the big alternator cable from the battery and the red wire that shares the connector with the brown on the alternator. Post what you find.
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #27
DAjeep88

Okay will do
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
DAjeep88

So I was just looking at my setup while I wait for a meter from my buddy, and my starter relay looks kind of beat up and I followed the yellow wire and saw that it is spliced with a red wire that continues to run on the firewall and a green and white line wire that connects to the starter relay box, is this supposed to be like this and if so could the starter relay box be the issue???
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
DAjeep88

Oh and it turns out that its not nuttered
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #30
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

But there are spliced wires at the solenoid? Like I said our rigs have a long and storied past when it comes to POs.
I scanned in the ignition schematic and some trouble shooting pages from my factory manual.
Try these.
http://home.mindspring.com/~dave.mcd...20ignition.pdf

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.