HELP! NO SPARK GOING INTO IGNITION COIL what could it be?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! NO SPARK GOING INTO IGNITION COIL what could it be?!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
DAjeep88

HELP! NO SPARK GOING INTO IGNITION COIL what could it be?!

I have a 1988 jeep wrangler yj 4.2, 5 speed manuel and yesterday it decided not to start. I already replaced the ignition control module and ignition coil and even the distributer and im still not getting any spark going into the ignition coil. Any suggestions?

DAjeep88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have power at the coil? You have no info in the profile. Do you have it nuttered?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
DAjeep88

No I dont have any power at the coil and it isnt nuttered
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Spark INTO the coil. Well there is your problem! it shouldn't be sparking into the coil but only out of the distributor

Try hot wiring it. ID the positive secondary lead to the pickup in the distributor and run a wire straight from the battery. If that doesn't work your coil or the pickup is bad. If it does work suspect the ignition switch.

In the old days of points it was a pretty simple thing to diagnose since you could see all the players and if they were working. Now you have to take it on faith that the inductor tooth is activating the pickup and that the voltage is being interupted when it's supposed to.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

No power to coil = burned out ballast resistor. Get a wiring diagram and repair the open wire.
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
DAjeep88

Well you know what I meant lol I didnt want to make it complicated but okay ill try that but I don't know which is the pickup? And run a wire straight from the battery to the positive end of the ignition coil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Spark INTO the coil. Well there is your problem! it shouldn't be sparking into the coil but only out of the distributor

Try hot wiring it. ID the positive secondary lead to the pickup in the distributor and run a wire straight from the battery. If that doesn't work your coil or the pickup is bad. If it does work suspect the ignition switch.

In the old days of points it was a pretty simple thing to diagnose since you could see all the players and if they were working. Now you have to take it on faith that the inductor tooth is activating the pickup and that the voltage is being interupted when it's supposed to.
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
DAjeep88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
No power to coil = burned out ballast resistor. Get a wiring diagram and repair the open wire.
Really ballast resistor okay ill check it out do you know a link where I might find a wiring diagram?
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is your ignition stock or has it been nuttered / HEI/ big capped?
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
DAjeep88

Its stock and what is hei?
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

High energy ignition. If you can filll out your profile. It really helps us help you.
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you aren't sure about the electrical and bought this used (like 99% of us) I would recommend you search for all the "nuttering" info you can. There is a good possibility that this electrical mod was already done on your rig and maybe one of the connections made by the PO has gone bad. We can't help you there because there are way too many bonehead things we all do but can't explain.
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...bypass-476720/
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
DAjeep88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
If you aren't sure about the electrical and bought this used (like 99% of us) I would recommend you search for all the "nuttering" info you can. There is a good possibility that this electrical mod was already done on your rig and maybe one of the connections made by the PO has gone bad. We can't help you there because there are way too many bonehead things we all do but can't explain.
You know what you make alot of sense it might be nuttered im going to check in the morning.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
DAjeep88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
High energy ignition. If you can filll out your profile. It really helps us help you.
Thanks! And will do..
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
DAjeep88

One thing that im curious about is if I redo or for that matter do a nutter what would I need to get? ...also would my starter relay have anything to do with me not getting any voltage to my ignition coil???

Tags
help needed , ignition , ignition coil , no spark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.