Help. Newbie. Clunking noise. Am i getting ripped off - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help. Newbie. Clunking noise. Am i getting ripped off

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 04-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #46
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ato500 View Post
well after some good advice from all of you and some research, I had to say goodbye to my 35's. I love the look but just doesn't seem like a smart idea, unless I like to throw money in the toilet. went to a 32x11 maxxis bighorn tire on d-window rims. also swapped rear end out of another YJ and that is working perfect.. now onto trans. I have an ax-5 and 1st and 2nd are toast.. there is one close by that 1st-4th is good but 5th is out, mine had same issue when I bought the jeep.. question is, can I get his trans and have 5th swapped from mine into his to have 1 unit working correctly, or is that a waste of time? thanks for the help
In my opinion, you could PM MeanMax to get the best answer on the forum. He's a pretty good expert on this exact issue. I think he wrote the stickies describe the process you would use to fix and swap the gears if you had the bearing splitter and presses.

soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #47
RockShoxTora
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hi, thanks in advance for the help. I have a 89 YJ with a 4in rough country suspension lift and 35/12/15 mickeys. Had lift put on at local mechanic ( I'm not mechanically inclined). He missed a bolt or two doing the lift so I don't have a ton of confidence in him. He also fixed 5th gear and put in a clutch, all in fall of 2012. Took jeep in some mild mud a few weeks ago and heard clunking noise in 4wd. Left mud and parked it at home. 2wd worked fine at the time. I assumed ubolt and he thought same. When driving to mechanic, clunking got worse, only hear it when slowing down and sometimes it continued for a second or two after stopping. Also just at this point it was real hard to get in gear, had to grind to get in sometimes. He checked it out but said needs new rear end ( I know stock yj rear is junk, especially w big tires) and said transmission needs to be replaced. Does this sound right?? Also, what steps should I take if this is right, I'd rather upgrade rear end etc so it doesn't happen again. Thanks for your help.
I hate to break it to you, but it sounds to me like a transmission problem. Your rear-end might not be far behind.

I bought a remanned AX-5 for my rig for 700 back when I first bought the Jeep. The thing nuked on me about 15k miles later while I was on the highway in 4th. It wouldn't shift into any other gear than 4th, and it clunked horrendously.
Prior to the tranny going, I heard faint clicks in my tranny when driving under 35.

Your rear-end is probably temporarily salvageable. He probably cracked it open and found broken teeth on your spider gears. These can be replaced by yourself for $50 if you know where to look. I've been driving with breaking spider gears for almost a year. It's a ticking time-bomb, but I don't drive it hard anymore.

Long story short, I would advise you to upgrade if you are running 35s.
If money is tight, have a reputable shop in your area rebuild your transmission. I got a transmission rebuild almost 40k miles ago and things run great.

Also, replace your tranny fluid once a year. When my AX5 is ready for a fresh change, 2nd starts to grind when shifting. It's just a friendly way my rig reminds me to take care of it
-Trail-Gear Bumper and Tire Swing-Out
-31" BFG M/Ts KM
Square Headlights Member #751
RockShoxTora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #48
ato500
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rockshoxtora, Thanks for the reply. you are right, it was a rear and and tranny problem. rear end had chunks of teeth out, luckily I found someone with a rear end I got for a pretty good price and that's already installed and working well. Trans getting fixed this weekend or next week. I hate the look of the 32" tires compared to the 35" but I know its good for the long run.
ato500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #49
RockShoxTora
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Rockshoxtora, Thanks for the reply. you are right, it was a rear and and tranny problem. rear end had chunks of teeth out, luckily I found someone with a rear end I got for a pretty good price and that's already installed and working well. Trans getting fixed this weekend or next week. I hate the look of the 32" tires compared to the 35" but I know its good for the long run.
Good deal. The chipped teeth I'm guessing were the spider gears. You didn't buy another D35 did you?

And the AX5 is a fine tranny as long as you take good care of it. Remember, replace the fluid often and don't pop the clutch running 35s.

I'm running 32s with a 3.5" suspension and 1 inch body lift. I also trimmed the fenders ever so slightly. I honestly think it fills the wheel wells out nicely. Also still push 15 mpg. The best feature is I get FULL articulation. I can flex out with coming close to my fenders.

Here's a pic of my rig. It might help persuade you. Plus 35's will sell like hot cakes on craigslist.

Cheers mate!

-Trail-Gear Bumper and Tire Swing-Out
-31" BFG M/Ts KM
Square Headlights Member #751
RockShoxTora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.