Help. Newbie. Clunking noise. Am i getting ripped off - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help. Newbie. Clunking noise. Am i getting ripped off

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #31
ato500
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Im going to you guys for advice as I am a newbie and need to learn, sometimes by doing stupid things and getting crapped on for it. I may end up with the same exact issue, but I did find an axle with 4:10 gears that's in good shape and upgraded the axle shafts for a cheap price.. If it busts (or when it busts) I know it is a lesson, but it was a few hundred bucks vs more the other way.

New question- but same area. I know the Ax-5 trans sucks, or at least that's what I've been told. I am having issues with 1st and second there too, thinking of replacing with same thing, but would prefer something better if there is a bolt up option. I can replace with another ax-5 from same guy I bought axle from for $400 installed (he has military axles on his YJ and put in a big v8) does that make sense, or is there a better option that I can get for a little more money? I don't want to put thousands into it at one drop, although I know it will happen in time.

ato500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ato500, We are glad to have you join us in the jeep brotherhood. When you ask for advice we will do our best to give you good advice, suggest things that are cost effective and try to help you. Many of the people giving advice are extremely knowledgeable and have advice gained from hard learned experience. When you post please think before you type, have I thought through my question, did I read what was posted. When you do this and don't recirculate the same question after getting the answer, you will continue to have the knowledgeable people take the time and try to help you. I'm glad to hear that you were able to find a replacement D35 and upgraded axles for a good price. I suggest learning how to work on your jeep. If you want to upgrade axles, etc. it's going to be very expensive paying a mechanic. It's also very rewarding to do the work yourself and we are happy to advise you to the best of our ability.

As to installing another ax5, if it only costs $400 installed and it's a good tranny go for it.

As I read through the thread you talk about not having enough power. You have a 4 cylinder engine, 35 inch tires and 4.10 gears, it's going be slow. When your serious about improving performance an have some money and are ready to good advice let us know.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #33
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The idea is to make upgrades that will support further upgrades.flexing is a issue with the d35 so have a truss installed. cure some power issues by dumping the 35s and go 32 or 33s . remember to wheel lower gear and 4lo on transfer to save your clutch and tranny internals in tough spots.make sure trans ,transfer,and rear have good clean fluid in them. .buy a manual and learn to handle you junk and how to fix it. A 4.2,4.0 with ax15 is a good setup.lots of parts available. combo with 4.10 or lower will really suprise . If you are not a wrench head imo forget the v8,4bt,mercdiesel,or other swaps.they take time and tools you may not have. build it break it and improve it. . so do what you want
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #34
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a YJ with the 4 cylinder, the AX5 transmission and I am currently running 35s. I hope I can be of help to you.

Somewhere between 4.88 and 5.13 is the perfect gear ratio for you. 4.88 would be perfect if you had 33" tires. "Perfect" would be a final drive ration that is exactly as it was with your original 27" tires. Your speedometer would be perfect and you would have pep.

The AX5 isn't a great transmission but it isn't horrible. If you can get one that is functional for $400 do it by all means. Because I realize mine isn't perfect I change the fluid (10W30 oil) in it every other engine oil change. This should help maintain its lifespan.

Larger axle shafts in a D35 will help but you still have other weaknesses in the dana 35. Here is a website showing you examples of all the things that can go wrong with your axle intended for 27" tires.

You need to think about "torque". Imagine you have a 12" wrench and you are turning a tiny bolt. With that 12" wrench you might not be able to break the bolt. If you made the wrench 24" long you could easily twist off the bolt. Your 35" tires are producing all this torque against the inside of your axle...which it wasn't designed for. You could "make the bolt stronger" by replacing the shaft. But as you can see in the picture, you still have the weak carrier, tiny pinion gear and weak outer tubes.

If you want to continue to run 35" tires you need to get a half ton or greater axle. Ford 8.8s are a good, cheap alternative that were found in Ford half ton trucks -- or for you Explorers. Your 9" would be GREAT.

You can have a very capable and reliable rig with what you have if you replace the rear axle. You might still have trouble maintaining 70 up certain hills, but otherwise you should be good.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #35
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 35 is definitely not a bad axle, it is just not intended for large tires. My buddy broke his 35 with chromolly shafts running 33x10.5 tires. But he does beat on his rig and admits it.

One reason we encourage upgrades when things break is because the weakest point in the system will always fail. For example, youve got the AX5 and Dana 35 rear end. With 35s, one of those components will likely be your weak point. You have to decide what its worth to you. Theres a chance the next time something breaks, it could be your Tranny or your Axle. My advice would be to look for a AX15 tranny in good shape. That will make your rear end the weak link. That way, if something breaks you could still hobble back home in 4wd
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #36
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipe007 View Post
Dana 35 is definitely not a bad axle, it is just not intended for large tires. My buddy broke his 35 with chromolly shafts running 33x10.5 tires. But he does beat on his rig and admits it.

One reason we encourage upgrades when things break is because the weakest point in the system will always fail. For example, youve got the AX5 and Dana 35 rear end. With 35s, one of those components will likely be your weak point. You have to decide what its worth to you. Theres a chance the next time something breaks, it could be your Tranny or your Axle. My advice would be to look for a AX15 tranny in good shape. That will make your rear end the weak link. That way, if something breaks you could still hobble back home in 4wd
So you want him to do an expensive AX15 upgrade, modify tcase input shaft from 21 to 23 spline, and track down a Dakota AX15/2.5L bellhousing instead of take the $400 AX5? This thread needs to be closed. We're getting some crap advice.
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #37
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I never said it would be cheaper, i just stated my opinion. If he does plan to run 35s, something is going to break. Here, I can get an AX15 for around $300 with 100k miles. If you poke around a bit, you can get a complete mated tranny and tcase for 500-600 with around 100K mileage. In fact, theres a guy in cali on this forum selling mated ax15 with tcase for $430. If its in good shape with a Dakota bellhousing, he is GTG for around $550. Another couple hundred bucks if he doesnt want to install it himself. Yes it is more expensive, but it cuts out what I feel is one of the weakest links with 35s. He has already stated he was thinking about an axle swap, so a beefier tranny is quite possibly in his future as well.

an AX5 installed for 400 is definitely a good price. But im not sure If I would spend the money to replace something when there is a very good chance it will break down the road.
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #38
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I never said it would be cheaper, i just stated my opinion. If he does plan to run 35s, something is going to break. Here, I can get an AX15 for around $300 with 100k miles. If you poke around a bit, you can get a complete mated tranny and tcase for 500-600 with around 100K mileage. In fact, theres a guy in cali on this forum selling mated ax15 with tcase for $430. If its in good shape with a Dakota bellhousing, he is GTG for around $550. Another couple hundred bucks if he doesnt want to install it himself. Yes it is more expensive, but it cuts out what I feel is one of the weakest links with 35s. He has already stated he was thinking about an axle swap, so a beefier tranny is quite possibly in his future as well.

an AX5 installed for 400 is definitely a good price. But im not sure If I would spend the money to replace something when there is a very good chance it will break down the road.
You forgot the 94 camero clutch he would need and the pilot bearing that has to be ordered from places like novak. There is alot to an AX5 to AX15 swap. Lets not forget drive shafts as the front shaft will need to be lengthen 2 inches and the rear shortened 2 inches. There is more but I will leave it at this for now. I just looked into doing it and had found everything I would need at one slavage yard. Had the 98 Dakota 2.5 to ax15 bell houseing and and ax15 with drive shafts and the whole 9. I just replaced the engine in my Jeep myself and I chose to throw another AX5 in there. There is a reason I made this choice. Part of it is above. To get everything together using salvage yards for everything but the clutch and pilot bearing you are close to or a little over a grand to do it. If the OP is not playing in the rocks or taking the jeep to the drag strip the AX5 will serve him well as long as he keeps the fluid changed and clean.

Edit: I am on 33's and I have beat the snot out of mine. My trans lasted 260,000 miles. The motor made it to 260,078. I am not nice to my heep and dont baby it.<--This is part of the reason I threw the AX5 and another 4 Banger in there. The other part is I got the ax5 for $100 and the replacment 4 banger for $200 both with 130,000 on them(Thanks again JHRDPAINTBALL)

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #39
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Youre absolutely right I forgot about the clutch issue. Drive shafts like you stated would need changing/modification so yes it is a very involved process. Unless you can get the parts at a steal of a price it probably would not be worth it.

I still feel though the AX5 is going to be a weak link in this scenario. If the OP decides not to put 35s on, that may be a different story. The AX5 is stronger than many people give it credit, but I personally would not trust my rig if I had 35s, an AX5, and Dana 35
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #40
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJrock88 View Post
Well enlighten me then .........

Am I wrong ?

What would you do ,oh master guru?
...and the 3.55 gears were more prevalent than the 3.73 gear sets.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Youre absolutely right I forgot about the clutch issue. Drive shafts like you stated would need changing/modification so yes it is a very involved process. Unless you can get the parts at a steal of a price it probably would not be worth it.

I still feel though the AX5 is going to be a weak link in this scenario. If the OP decides not to put 35s on, that may be a different story. The AX5 is stronger than many people give it credit, but I personally would not trust my rig if I had 35s, an AX5, and Dana 35
I wouldnt go above 33's with an open dif on a D35 personally. The D35 is not a bad axle for what it was designed for but once we start our upgrades it starts seeming really weak really fast. In my opinion the D35 is still the weak point. The AX5 would come after that. The AX5 isnt as horrible as people like to make it seem though. It has served me well

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #42
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Siva, im with you on that. The Dana 35 is definitely the weak point in the OP's rig. Im currently wheeling a 35 with limited slip and its great, but im running 31s and am very conservative off road.

I have very little experience with the AX5 personally. Ive heard plenty of horror storries and whatnot about the AX5 but you cant always believe what you hear (or who you hear it from). Sounds like many people have had great experiences with the AX5.
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #43
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Siva, im with you on that. The Dana 35 is definitely the weak point in the OP's rig. Im currently wheeling a 35 with limited slip and its great, but im running 31s and am very conservative off road.

I have very little experience with the AX5 personally. Ive heard plenty of horror storries and whatnot about the AX5 but you cant always believe what you hear (or who you hear it from). Sounds like many people have had great experiences with the AX5.
Yes. People need to remember that an AX5 doesn't know you have 35s if you have the correct gears. My AX5 is just fine with my 35s.
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #44
ato500
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well after some good advice from all of you and some research, I had to say goodbye to my 35's. I love the look but just doesn't seem like a smart idea, unless I like to throw money in the toilet. went to a 32x11 maxxis bighorn tire on d-window rims. also swapped rear end out of another YJ and that is working perfect.. now onto trans. I have an ax-5 and 1st and 2nd are toast.. there is one close by that 1st-4th is good but 5th is out, mine had same issue when I bought the jeep.. question is, can I get his trans and have 5th swapped from mine into his to have 1 unit working correctly, or is that a waste of time? thanks for the help
ato500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #45
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ato500 View Post
well after some good advice from all of you and some research, I had to say goodbye to my 35's. I love the look but just doesn't seem like a smart idea, unless I like to throw money in the toilet. went to a 32x11 maxxis bighorn tire on d-window rims. also swapped rear end out of another YJ and that is working perfect.. now onto trans. I have an ax-5 and 1st and 2nd are toast.. there is one close by that 1st-4th is good but 5th is out, mine had same issue when I bought the jeep.. question is, can I get his trans and have 5th swapped from mine into his to have 1 unit working correctly, or is that a waste of time? thanks for the help
5th on the other one may just need a new pin to put the gear back in place. Other wise yes you should be able to swap it over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.