Help. Newbie. Clunking noise. Am i getting ripped off - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help. Newbie. Clunking noise. Am i getting ripped off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
YJrock88

I wasn't being sarcastic I was being serious you're on every single forum on this website.

YJrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
YJrock88

I already admitted I was wrong is it worth beating a dead horse get over it

I guess I'm the first person on this forum to have an opinion on gears and tires
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJrock88 View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic I was being serious you're on every single forum on this website.
Well then I will take it as a compliment. Thank you. My advice would be the same as pasinbuy: gear way deeper and junk the Dana 35 for the 8.8 outlet. Running 35's myself, I know what the line is when it comes to offroad performance and daily drivability. Mine takes me everywhere but its been a long hard road getting there with many a Dana 35 replacement before I wised up and faced reality. I think I'm one of about five guys in the Yj forum that has their jeep in a constant mix of overhaul and street time and its never finished. Ever.
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
ato500
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if I go the route of a ford 9in rear and dana 44 up front (which I am pretty sure that is what I am doing) is there a recommended trans/engine to match it up to for best results. Looks like I'm not getting out of it cheap, thought it was a U-Bolt issue at first.. Transmission is having some issues according to mechanic, so I want to beef that up too. engine was rebuilt by previous owner and runs good, but doesn't have a lot of power, so I assume I need to do both?
ato500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
YJrock88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post

Well then I will take it as a compliment. Thank you. My advice would be the same as pasinbuy: gear way deeper and junk the Dana 35 for the 8.8 outlet. Running 35's myself, I know what the line is when it comes to offroad performance and daily drivability. Mine takes me everywhere but its been a long hard road getting there with many a Dana 35 replacement before I wised up and faced reality. I think I'm one of about five guys in the Yj forum that has their jeep in a constant mix of overhaul and street time and its never finished. Ever.
Thanks for understanding.

I guess I'll leave the technical stuff to the seasoned vets.

Cheers!
Unread 03-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #21
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a slight possibility that the clunking and hard shifting are symptoms of a poorly adjusted clutch or low fluid in the clutch master cylinder. If you don't trust your mechanic and he just put in a clutch that's the first place I'd look. Especially if he "fixed" 5th gear. In my inexperienced opinion, if he had the gear box apart to repair 5th, he should've read the warning signs of transmission failure. If I'm wrong about that, I'll take my corrections humbly.

Last edited by Relicmoto; 03-15-2013 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Effing iPhone autocorrect.
Relicmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
ato500
1989 YJ Wrangler 

so I just picked up jeep from mechanic and drove home carefully.. Bad clunking noise only once, but I drove home in 4hi. pretty sure rear and needs to be replaced/upgraded but besides hard to get into first, rest of shifting was good, any advice/suggestions?
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't have mechanical skills take it to another mechanic for a second opinion. Tell them the symptoms, don't tell them what the other mechanic diagnosed the problems as.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #24
smost-1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have no mechanical skills but I had a similar issue were it was making a clicking noise and hard to shift turned out to be my rear driveshaft. Once I had that rebuilt the sound was gone and I was able to shift a lot smoother. It cost me about 700 with labor for the rebuild. 450 without labor to rebuild the driveshaft.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using JeepForum
smost-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
ato500
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Had a second opinion, he took time and showed me where issues were. His suggestion was that it would cost a lot to do 8.8 rear w fabrication etc, but we found a replacement Dana 35 (I know) that has 410 gears, that's what I have now, but it has a locker. Also we are thinking of replacing axle shaft to upgraded ones, hopefully that will be enough but won't cost me a ton, so I think it's worth trying. Thoughts? Trans also needs a little work but doesn't have to be done now, am thinking of t-5 trans as its more durable, does that make sense?
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you have the rear driveshaft disconnected? Why did you drive home in 4 high? Replacing a Dana 35 with a locked Dana 35 on 35" tires is stupid. Unless you're a mechanic who is going to be doing all the work then by all means charge the sucker several times.
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #27
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Easy Anticanman, educate a newbie don't flame them. If you're running 35's you need to bit the bullet and upgrade to an 8.8 with 4.10's (if that's the gearing you want, personally a 4 cyl. with 35's I'd look to go deeper on the gears). Even with better axles in a D35 it's still a pig with lipstick.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly an 8.8 wouldn't cost too much. MORE offroad sells an 8.8 perch kit (around 100-150) and you can get an 8.8 from most pick and pulls (250 or so). finding 4.10s might be possible (sorry im not terribly knowledgeable as to stock 8.8 gear ratio). The biggest I would ever go on a stock dana 35 are 33in tires. Anything after that IMHO is just asking for trouble, but honestly this depends on how you wheel. If you wait until there is a 50% off day at pick n pull, the swap could be around 300.

Flajeeper1 is definitely right. Lower gearing with 35s will help a ton. I hope to run 35s on my willy's soon. Just picked up 4.88 re-gear kits for the front and rear axles.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smost-1 View Post
I have no mechanical skills but I had a similar issue were it was making a clicking noise and hard to shift turned out to be my rear driveshaft. Once I had that rebuilt the sound was gone and I was able to shift a lot smoother. It cost me about 700 with labor for the rebuild. 450 without labor to rebuild the driveshaft.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using JeepForum
I just choked when I read this. They charged you $700 for 2 ujoints installed?
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #30
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1 View Post
Easy Anticanman, educate a newbie don't flame them...
My thought is the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Dana 35 on 35's wasn't a good idea the first time. His words, not necessarily mine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.