Help. Newbie. Clunking noise. Am i getting ripped off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help. Newbie. Clunking noise. Am i getting ripped off

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
ato500
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Help. Newbie. Clunking noise. Am i getting ripped off

Hi, thanks in advance for the help. I have a 89 YJ with a 4in rough country suspension lift and 35/12/15 mickeys. Had lift put on at local mechanic ( I'm not mechanically inclined). He missed a bolt or two doing the lift so I don't have a ton of confidence in him. He also fixed 5th gear and put in a clutch, all in fall of 2012. Took jeep in some mild mud a few weeks ago and heard clunking noise in 4wd. Left mud and parked it at home. 2wd worked fine at the time. I assumed ubolt and he thought same. When driving to mechanic, clunking got worse, only hear it when slowing down and sometimes it continued for a second or two after stopping. Also just at this point it was real hard to get in gear, had to grind to get in sometimes. He checked it out but said needs new rear end ( I know stock yj rear is junk, especially w big tires) and said transmission needs to be replaced. Does this sound right?? Also, what steps should I take if this is right, I'd rather upgrade rear end etc so it doesn't happen again. Thanks for your help.

ato500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
itatane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

First off, I welcome to the wonderful world of Jeeps! You should probably search through the forums here, as there are are a lot of guys who have been there and got it solved. That being said, you should give a little more info on your heap, I mean Jeep. For example, is it a 4.2 or 2.5 liter engine? If its an '89, manual, straight six engine, then you are probably looking at swapping out the tranny for something better. (from 87 to early 89, the Peugeot BA10 tranny was used in the Jeep, and was a legendary POS.)
As to the rear end, if it is the Dana 35 axle (look at the shape of the diff cover to find out), see if your mechanic means that he thinks you need to rebuild your differential (ring, pinion, yoke, shims, etc.) Stock rear ends weren't exactly Junk, but they definitely need an understanding touch (or a swap out to something a little more robust)
Above all, you have to educate yourself (takes a few minutes of looking and reading, but worth it) about what your Jeep is. Like what sort of gear ratios came as stock and which is optimal for your tire choice, the whole host of carburetor issues, etc.... If you don't know that much about fixing your own stuff, we geezers are still out there and will teach you how to do it for a beer or two, or even just for something to tinker on.
Btw...I used to trust mechanics, but have written most of them off nowadays.

Best wishes
itatane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
ato500
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply, It is a 2.5L manual. He said transmission needs compete rebuild as well as new rear end, I tend to disagree, but what do I know.. Is is a good idea to just upgrade to a 350 and matching tranny, currently it doesn't like to go more than 60 tops unless downhill, I assume that will change because of the added power.. and is there a preferred rear end that is beefier? I normally would use this to drive on road, and light mudding once or twice a month.. would like it to be able to hold up better if I got more into mudding, I don't see me doing much if any climbing in it though, if that matters. Thanks for the reply and your help!
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
YJrock88

35's on a stock rear end is never a good idea in my opinion,it is very possible your rear end is wrecked. Especially if your 2.5 has no power. Generally the bigger the tire the higher the gear ratio. Your jeep most likely has 3.07 or 3.73 so your big tires are changing the over all drive of the vehicle. I would recommend 4.10 gears if you want to keep the 35's. As for what to do next , since your not confident in your mechanic's skills I would think long a hard about weather or not to rebuild your existing axels or just go get a new or refurbished set from someone who does it for a living.
YJrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
YJrock88

With the right gear to tire set up, your jeep should be able to hit 65 no problem
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
itatane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ato500 View Post
Thanks for the reply, It is a 2.5L manual. He said transmission needs compete rebuild as well as new rear end, I tend to disagree, but what do I know.. Is is a good idea to just upgrade to a 350 and matching tranny, currently it doesn't like to go more than 60 tops unless downhill, I assume that will change because of the added power.. and is there a preferred rear end that is beefier? I normally would use this to drive on road, and light mudding once or twice a month.. would like it to be able to hold up better if I got more into mudding, I don't see me doing much if any climbing in it though, if that matters. Thanks for the reply and your help!
Well, more than likely, your tranny is the AX 5, which was kinda like the AX-15's anemic little brother. Unfortunately, your mechanic may well be right. Those beefy tires can eat a transmission and stock differentials alive, so an upgrade will probably be in your future. Rebuilding your own can be a bit much, but if you know someone who has the know-how, whatever they might ask will probably be less expensive than a mechanic you don't fully trust. YJrock88 is right as well, there are a lot of places out there that either sell refurb rear ends. Just remember that your front axles will most likely need a regearing as well.
Oh, fwiw, there are a whole lot of options out there for driveline swaps.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/ ...has a wealth of information about the engines and trannies most commonly used.

P.S. I don't have anything against the 350, but you can also go the diesel route. http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com
itatane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
ato500
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. I'm not opposed to diesel at all, my work car is a Jett's sportwagen tdi and imnhappy w it ascwell, although I'd rather drive the jeep everywhere if I had my choice.
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJrock88 View Post
35's on a stock rear end is never a good idea in my opinion,it is very possible your rear end is wrecked. Especially if your 2.5 has no power. Generally the bigger the tire the higher the gear ratio. Your jeep most likely has 3.07 or 3.73 so your big tires are changing the over all drive of the vehicle. I would recommend 4.10 gears if you want to keep the 35's. As for what to do next , since your not confident in your mechanic's skills I would think long a hard about weather or not to rebuild your existing axels or just go get a new or refurbished set from someone who does it for a living.
I think you need to do some more research before you start doling out advice.
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
YJrock88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post

I think you need to do some more research before you start doling out advice.
Well enlighten me then .........

Am I wrong ?

What would you do ,oh master guru?
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well enlighten me then .........

Am I wrong ?

Stock gear ratio for a 4 clyinder Jeep is 4.10
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
YJrock88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Stock gear ratio for a 4 clyinder Jeep is 4.10
Your totally right .

SORRY for the misinformation.

My numbers were off but I think the advice still applies... I guess i only play with 6 cyl's...lol

Thanks for setting me strait
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
35's on a stock rear end is never a good idea in my opinion,it is very possible your rear end is wrecked. Especially if your 2.5 has no power. Generally the bigger the tire the higher the gear ratio. [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Your jeep most likely has 3.07 or 3.73[/COLOR] so your big tires are changing the over all drive of the vehicle. I would recommend 4.10 gears if you want to keep the 35's. As for what to do next , since your not confident in your mechanic's skills I would think long a hard about weather or not to [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]rebuild your existing axels[/COLOR] [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]or just go get a new or refurbished set[/COLOR] from someone who does it for a living.
No offense intended but pretty much everything you stated is wrong.

-4 cly have 4.10 gearing
-Going to a 4.10 gearing is lower gearing than a 3.07 or 3.73.
-Getting refurbished stock axles is a lateral move, he should upgrade the rear to a 8.8 preferably with 35 in tires.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
No offense intended but pretty much everything you stated is wrong.

-4 cly have 4.10 gearing
-Going to a 4.10 gearing is lower gearing than a 3.07 or 3.73.
-Getting refurbished stock axles is a lateral move, he should upgrade the rear to a 8.8 preferably with 35 in tires.
That's what I was getting at but I got a little sidetracked with a project. And I didn't mean it to be insulting, its just that the wrong information is more detrimental than helpful.
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's what I was getting at but I got a little sidetracked with a project. And I didn't mean it to be insulting, its just that the wrong information is more detrimental than helpful.

I did not think you were insulting at all. TJrock88 was insulting with his "oh master guru" crack. You just stated a fact.

Quote:

pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I did not think you were insulting at all. TJrock88 was insulting with his "oh master guru" crack. You just stated a fact.
Well technically you stated the facts.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.