Help! - New Jeep Guy Needs Help with '92 YJ Gear Ratios - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! - New Jeep Guy Needs Help with '92 YJ Gear Ratios

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-03-2002, 08:02 PM   #1
Missin44

Help! - New Jeep Guy Needs Help with '92 YJ Gear Ratios

'92 YJ 4.0L manual tranny

Problem is whith 4wd engaged rear tire drag/skip. 2wd everything is ok.

Trying to determine gear ratios front and rear. Looking like they are differant.

Jacked both left tires off ground. For every full turn of rear tire, front tire turns about 1.33 or 1 1/3 turns. I assume both should turn at same rate. True or not?

Bye the way, while doing above tried turning tire one rotation and checking drive shaft rotation at same time. appears I'm doing something wrong. For each tire turn on front, drive shaft only turns about 1 1/3 turns. Sorry forgot turns the rear made.

Tag on front diff reads: 52068201 07 6103 93-2
Tag on rear diff reads: 53005 567 10 610 319

I am not sure if spaces between numbers are the same as on tag. However I do know numbers are correct. Can anyone decode them?

Am I doing somethin wrong?

PS - Since I have only owned the Jeep for a short time, have no idea if ratios have been changed. Also got a killer deal, reguardles of what the problem turns out to be. Jeep Newbie

'92 YJ, 4.0L, 5 spd, OX Locked front, 4:10 gears, BDS 3.5" lift, reverse shackles, Ford 8.8 Limited-slip rear, York OBA, JB Conversions SYE Kit, CV driveshft, Centerforce II clutch, Big Daddy Step Rock Rails, Skid Row Top Prop, Big Daddy OffRoad Front Bumper, Yokahoma Geolander 32's, Rokmen Riddler differential cover
Missin44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 11:05 AM   #2
SBall

While this may not be the easiest way, it will be the most accurate. Pull the differential cover off of each axle. This way you can actually see the gears inside of your axle housing. The ratios will be stamped on the ring gears(this will be the big round gear). And since you have not had the jeep for long, it sure wont hurt to change the diff fluid since you dont know what was done to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.