Help. New alternator new battery not holding charge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help. New alternator new battery not holding charge

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
A-Barr

Help. New alternator new battery not holding charge

'95 2.5 started loosing charge so I took it to parts store to recharge, no good, bought a new one. A couple days later on my way from work midnight power goes down, car dies, no restart, pop tows me home. Next day I replace alternator, replace battery, turn key, nothing. Jump start, batterys still weak. Return battery, buy new starter, good to go. Come to find with new parts, still not holding charge. Help?

A-Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
lukster14
1995 YJ Wrangler 

did you check what kinda wiring you have and if it is signifigantly degraded? had a ton of issues with my last jeep before I replaced the wiring. also not sure on this, but you checked the grounds right. That seems to be a real common issue too.
lukster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
A-Barr

Am I looking for all wiring or would this issue be specific to certain ones?
Unread 10-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Barr View Post
Am I looking for all wiring or would this issue be specific to certain ones?
Your battery cables themselves would be the first to check for any kind of degradation. Look to make sure all connections are clean and shiny. Are the cables even the slightest bit swollen or mis-shapen, indicating corrosion inside the insulation? All connections means positive and negative, which was mentioned earlier. Check where the cable goes into power distribution box too. If your battery is fully charged, does it spark when you hook up the cables? This would indicate something on or shorted.
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you still haven't tested your alternator I would do that.... before buying a new battery.
Unread 10-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds as if your alternator isn't. The ECM is the regulator.
With the engine running hold a screwdriver near the back of the alternator. If you have field current the screwdriver should be attracted to the housing. If not, you will need a voltmeter. There are two small wires on the back of the alternator. Both should be approx 12 VDC with the ignition on and no running. With the engine running one should be 12 VDC the other much less. If not either you have corroded wires at the ECM plug, or a defective ECM.
There is another 5 page post covering this with Mistic as the OP.
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check the current draw between the battery with the key off. There may be a current draw with the key off. Something is sucking juice. Try chargeing your battery and then disconnecting your neg cable when you turn your jeep off. Replace it when you want to start it. If it strarts, you have something drawing the current out of the battery.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am wondering if the check engine light ever came on. And what codes is it displaying.
Unread 10-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just had an issue today with my battery (which has been plagueing me). I thought my battery wasn't holding a charge. Fired up fine for my way home from work. I tried to leave after I got home - it wouldn't start. After MUCH screwing around, including charging the battery, jump-starting the jeep and letting it run, much voltmeter testing etc, we figured out the negative battery terminal connector was shot and not connecting properly.

We also popped the cables out of the positive terminal connector and they were all oxidized and nasty. After cleaning those thoroughly and jury-rigging the negative terminal connector, we got it running. So I would suggest to check your terminals.
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

At "Pep Boys" , a local parts store, they used to sell Energizer car batteries. Now they dont. They have their own brand, ProStart". I took my energizer battery in after 5 years of good dependability, and went on their pro-rate warrentee and switched to their brand. My first battery lasted 1 month, it would not hold a charge properly, after as little 12 hours, it struggled to turn over my engine. So, I disconnected the terminals, to see if I had a draw. Still, same result battery drained even when not connected. I have since returned it for a new one free of charge, about 3 weeks ago. So far so good. Problem is of course dealing with lesser quality is it can effect other parts, like making my alternator work harder, unnecessary strain on it.
Unread 10-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nembudonna View Post
Check the current draw between the battery with the key off. There may be a current draw with the key off. Something is sucking juice. Try chargeing your battery and then disconnecting your neg cable when you turn your jeep off. Replace it when you want to start it. If it strarts, you have something drawing the current out of the battery.
i would do as stated above........something might draining it?
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
A-Barr

Dealer dagnosis says my PCM is shot and hence busting each alternator I'm putting in it. 40 and 50 fuses blown also. My engine codes were batt undercharge, AC(which I don't have) and batt unplugged.
Unread 10-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #13
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Barr View Post
Dealer dagnosis says my PCM is shot and hence busting each alternator I'm putting in it. 40 and 50 fuses blown also. My engine codes were batt undercharge, AC(which I don't have) and batt unplugged.
A bad ECM (it`s not a PCM) would not cause 40 and 50 amp fuses to blow.

A short in the wiring would cause the fuses to blow. A short to the field circuit of the alt. would make the ECM field circuit fail. Which would cause a no charge situation.

Wiring is not that hard. Get yourself a wiring diagram. Start at the alt and follow each wire. There is only 4 wires.

Ground cable
Charge cable to battery
Field wire to ECM..........On mine it is Tan in color
12 volt reference that splices and goes to the Coil and PDC..........Green on mine.

If the wire or connection is other then clean and bright it is no good. Any breaks in the insulation or melting is not acceptable. Whatever your problem is you WILL find it if it is bad enough to blow a 50 amp fuse.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have to agree with Jsawduste on this one. The ECM/PCM with a complete failure in the charging circuit (a ground on pin on pin 20) will only cause the alternator to go to full power. In fact grounding this point is one of the tests that are suggested to "test" an alternator. Which fuses are blowing? The wiring is straightforward and relatively easy to access.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
A-Barr

Thanks for the advice. I haven't had a chance to take a look at it due to work but I'm definitely giving it a try over spending $800+. Any more comments suggestions and ideas are helpful and appreciated

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.