Help! My Speedometer Stopped Working and Check Engine Light is On Too - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! My Speedometer Stopped Working and Check Engine Light is On Too

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #16
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
Remove the dash panel and take out the bulb under the check engine light and go get it inspected. After you get it inspected put the bulb back in.
Yes that is what my friend told me, apparently that works for his Jeep but he also has no computer whatsoever in his Jeep anyways.

Unread 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #17
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My FSM say that the WHT/OR wire on pin 1 of the VSS goes to pin #47 of the PCM
Then the BLK/LIGHTBL wire on pin 2 goes to a splice in the wiring harness located above your distribute cap and it eventually provides a ground for several sensors and goes to pin 4 of you PCM.

The last wire is on pin 3 and is Orange. It goes to a splice that is just above yoyr brake booster that eventually goe to the PCM and gets 8Volt feed to the sensors that are common with this VSS. They are the crank sensor and the cam sensor

Last edited by laybackman; 08-02-2008 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: color change and more informaiton
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #18
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Again as I posted before does your Jeep die when you come to a stop?
If it does that would say it is in your speedo. It could even be internal. You may need to pull the gear out of the output of the transfer case and see if your gear is shot. They are just plastic and I would imagine over time it could get brittle and break.
Heck take it to the inspections and see what they say. If they fail it they may be able to give you some insight as to why it failed and what to do about it.
Your check engine light coming on tells you it is a sensor, you may need to take it some where and have them read the code. Try Auto Zone, not sure if their readers will work but it is worth a shot.
Nope Jeep doesn't die when I come to a stop. Yea I only checked to see if the speedo was actually attached, not if it was dead or not (not sure how I would know). Yea I have read the code and it doesn't make sense for what my engine is... code 36.
Unread 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #19
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure if it has been suggested, but is there any way this could have been because of a blown fuse? I would wonder if the speedometer even has a fuse, does anyone know this? I will check when I get home, I'm just at work now without my Hanyes. Just a shot in the dark...
Unread 09-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
BorderC
1991 XJ Cherokee 

My jeep has the same problem. The speedometer sometimes works but eventually will stop working and the check engine light will comes on. And I get the code# 36 as well

Its not a big deal for me because I have a Garmin GPS that gives me my speed so I just watch that when I need to. But the check engine light coming on is annoying.
Unread 11-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #21
Kman1983
1983 CJ5 

On my wifes '93 the speedo will stop working and the check engine light will come on and it will start running like crap and soon die. After it sets a few moments it will start and run fine for maybe a few minutes or maybe a few days?????
Kman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #22
speedy2954
1991 MJ Comanche 

Codes

instead of it being 36 try 3,6,55
speedy2954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #23
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think the codes were 12 & 15 then you sould have gotten a code 55.

First one says your battery has recently been disconnected. The next code concerns your VSS sensor. The last code is saying The End.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.