Help! My Speedometer Stopped Working and Check Engine Light is On Too - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! My Speedometer Stopped Working and Check Engine Light is On Too

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Help! My Speedometer Stopped Working and Check Engine Light is On Too

So I kind of already mentioned this in a different post already, but not exactly. This story is that I just came back from vacation on Sunday, after my Jeep had been sitting for a bit more than a week I took it to work. While driving there the check engine light came on (not sure if its related) checked under the hood everything seemed fine. Continued on my way, THEN noticed the speedometer wasn't going up and none of the miles were turning.

I have checked the connection and not found any loose/frayed/disconnected wires or harnesses. I'm really confused why this might have happened or what to do to correct it. I don't know where to go from here, and Hanynes isn't really helping me out much. Incase it has anything to do with it I checked what code the check engine light was giving me and it was 36: Wastegate control circuit open or shorted. I learned this was for a turbo engine, so that doesn't help me and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the speedometer.

I have to go for inspection next week and this comes at the worst time ever. If anyone has ANY advice as to how to correct either of these problem, it would help me out so greatly. All I want to do is have a correctly running Jeep so I pass inspection so I can install my exhaust and 33's. Thank you so much.

~Courtney

Unread 08-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would check that engine code again. It seems odd that it would spit out that code.
Unread 08-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea it sucks but I have checked it 6 times already. I checked 3 times on Wednesday, then I asked my mom to come out and count them for me last night (hoping that I was wrong) it goes 36 then 55 (end of codes). I do agree that it is weird that it is giving me that code, that's why I'm so confused. And I have no idea what is up with the speedometer, I'd rather fix that first so I can atleast drive it around knowing how fast I am going.

I'm not that much of a mechanic but I do what I can and mostly everything else I get help from my friend. But I told him I wanted to do this project on my own, so now I don't know where to go with it and he's not willing to help me.
Unread 08-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm concerned that you may have counted wrong. Did you receive a code # 55 after the code # 36? I'm not implying anything, but those codes can be misread extremely easy, and if this code was different, your fix might be easy. I also find it hard to believe this code # has something to do with your speedo acting up, but could indicate an electrical short or ground problem. Check your electrical system carefully, along with your ground straps and wires.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on which exhaust system you have installed....on your exhaust header down or cross pipe, you have an 02 sensor that screws into it. Check it, and it's electrical connection. If it's loose, damaged, dead, it *could* be causing the check engine light to come on.

Check the speedo connection at the tcase tail. The connection should look something like this (although this is not a NP231, you get the idea).

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujeeper View Post
I'm concerned that you may have counted wrong. Did you receive a code # 55 after the code # 36? I'm not implying anything, but those codes can be misread extremely easy, and if this code was different, your fix might be easy. I also find it hard to believe this code # has something to do with your speedo acting up, but could indicate an electrical short or ground problem. Check your electrical system carefully, along with your ground straps and wires.
Yea #55 came after the #36, I followed these instructions that Rusty sent me.
http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index....k_Engine_Codes
I'd be surprised if we both counted wrong that many times. Last night I did trace all the wires that I saw, tugged on them a bit and none were loose. Thought I didn't completely trace the wires that go up to the dash/speedometer, they seemed to get a bit lost for me to see how they enter the Jeep. Grrrrr why can't this be simple?!!
Unread 08-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Depending on which exhaust system you have installed....on your exhaust header down or cross pipe, you have an 02 sensor that screws into it. Check it, and it's electrical connection. If it's loose, damaged, dead, it *could* be causing the check engine light to come on.

Check the speedo connection at the tcase tail. The connection should look something like this (although this is not a NP231, you get the idea).

Thanks. I did first check on the T-case (it was fine), and some of the plugs on the top of the header (also fine), but I don't think I checked in the first photo you showed. I'll hope that it is that, because then it would make things a lot easier. Btw very nice T-case ya got there ;-)
Unread 08-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I went home at lunch and checked the code again, sadly I keep getting the same 36 code. How frustrating! Does anyone know if taking my dashboard apart would help my speedometer work again? I can't trace the wires anymore, so I thought I would work backwards from the speedometer. I'd really like to trace that out first so I can atleast get to inspection and not fail for that. Thanks.
Unread 08-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have searched and searched and can not find a code 36 listed in the trouble codes.
Since your speedo doesn't work and you have a check engine light I would check out the speed sensor and wiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GreenWrangler View Post
So I went home at lunch and checked the code again, sadly I keep getting the same 36 code. How frustrating! Does anyone know if taking my dashboard apart would help my speedometer work again? I can't trace the wires anymore, so I thought I would work backwards from the speedometer. I'd really like to trace that out first so I can atleast get to inspection and not fail for that. Thanks.
Unread 08-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942 View Post
I have searched and searched and can not find a code 36 listed in the trouble codes.
Since your speedo doesn't work and you have a check engine light I would check out the speed sensor and wiring.

Got this from Rusty, so I've been following that, who knows maybe that info is wrong.

Yea I'm going to have to check the wiring I just loose track of it when trying to follow it up. This seems more in depth than I was expecting it to be.
Unread 08-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a diagram that might help.
This is for a 92 so the wire colors are as follows for a 95.
Sensor terminal 1 Orange
Sensor terminal 2 Blk/Lt Blue
Sensor terminal 3 Wht/Org

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GreenWrangler View Post

Got this from Rusty, so I've been following that, who knows maybe that info is wrong.

Yea I'm going to have to check the wiring I just loose track of it when trying to follow it up. This seems more in depth than I was expecting it to be.
ecm.jpg  
Unread 08-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Remove the dash panel and take out the bulb under the check engine light and go get it inspected. After you get it inspected put the bulb back in.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Again as I posted before does your Jeep die when you come to a stop?
If it does that would say it is in your speedo. It could even be internal. You may need to pull the gear out of the output of the transfer case and see if your gear is shot. They are just plastic and I would imagine over time it could get brittle and break.
Heck take it to the inspections and see what they say. If they fail it they may be able to give you some insight as to why it failed and what to do about it.
Your check engine light coming on tells you it is a sensor, you may need to take it some where and have them read the code. Try Auto Zone, not sure if their readers will work but it is worth a shot.
Unread 08-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
Remove the dash panel and take out the bulb under the check engine light and go get it inspected. After you get it inspected put the bulb back in.
Unfortunately that does not work. The diagnostic equipment reads the trouble code also so you get rejected for the trouble code AND you also get popped for the malfunctioning light. Even if you just cleared all the codes by repairing the trouble causing the CEL light to go on you must drive about 75 miles before they will pass you.

There is no DTC 36 for OBDI that I am aware of. IS this an export or foreign model Jeep?
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If I was going to guess I would say the you have a problem in the Vehicle Speed Sensor circuit. Either the wiring or the sensor is bad. As far as the code #36, I am stumped there.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.