help with my 87 wrangler Jeep YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help with my 87 wrangler Jeep YJ

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
jerseygirl0820
1987 LJ Wrangler 

help with my 87 wrangler Jeep YJ

so i bought this jeep and although people say its ugly or a bad choice i love it. This am i was doing a k turn and it stalled mid way thru. so in the middle of the street .. paniced ... it started right up no issue,, but when i go to reverse it shuts off. weird if you held the brake and gassed it you could get it to stay on..

last weekend i had it out no real issues, except that its started bogging after 45 miles an hour - ike it wants to go but does .. i am hoping its not any major .. thinking

tourque convertor, fuel pump or maybe something electrical

does anyone know if the tranny has an electrical celenoid in this 1987 wrangler - YJ 6 cycl.

appreciate your help

jerseygirl0820 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you know what your idle is when it's in gear? Could be that it's set to low and causing it to stall under the load in reverse. There's a few things you can do to help make it run better but I know NJ inspection is rough (grew up in trenton). If you don't have a tach Google 87 yj idle speed adjustemt or screw and try adjusting it up alittle. The carbs on the 87-91 are know for going bad pretty easily.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 05:09 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

How old is the gas filter? They are only good for a year or so on a daily driver. Be sure it sits level with the return line at 12:00.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No solenoid. Are you ok with turning a wrench on your vehicle? Do you have to comply with emissions test?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Someone thinks the YJ is ugly?
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

She gets it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As people help you through your repair troubles, post pictures of your jeep and we will tell you what an awesome correct choice you made in vehicles.

Also, the jeepforum is very good at diagnosing YJ problems. If you need your vehicle fixed right away to get to work, then take it to a shop. If you want to save a lot of money, or if you just WANT to do it yourself, the jeepforum members will work you through it, but since it is an internet forum, it can take a while to run a suggested diagnostic, then come back with the results, then get the next test to run, repeat, etc.
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.