Help with my 1987 wrangler - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with my 1987 wrangler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #31
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
You need to check spark at the plugs.
Don't check them just replace them with champion coppers. It'll set you back 8-12 dollars depending on if you have a 4 or 6 cylinder

Unread 09-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty

Sounds to me like this so-called mechanic is taking you for a ride. Did you really go from 4:56 gears to 3:73 or was it the other way around?
+1000

You need to take it back to this guy and tell him you brought it in to get it to pass emissions. He took all this money and did all this work and not only does it still not pass but runs worse.

If he won't fix it it's time to start reporting him to the BBB. Maybe look into the certifying agency and report him there as well.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #33
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Screw the BBB. They don't help anyone...

Call and report these jokers to Tom Martino...
Somebody from Vegas had to tell you this? The shop (so called) you had your Jeep is a fricken clown.

http://www.khow.com/pages/TroubleshooterTomMartino.html

Start making this jokers life miserable. For what you paid, he OWES you a properly functioning Jeep, AND your 4:56 gears BACK!

I just read this thread and I am pissed and it isn't even my Jeep!
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #34
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am just throwing this out there, but are you sure you didn't accidentally throw your ignition timing out 180 degrees when you changed your distributor cap? If you have fuel and spark, that could be part of your issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #35
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Okay my spark plugs were black and I put the rotor in wrong I guess fixed that still won't start I have fuel air spark this time while it was cranking over I turned it off pulled the keys out and it was still cranking on its own so lost
Alphasolder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #36
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphasolder View Post
As some of you may remember I was here with emissions problem. still haven't passed emissions but the big issue now is it won't stay running and has trouble starting it is getting gas this problem is progressively worse I went and picked it up from mechanic shop and they have no idea what it could be. So here's what I've done
Spark plugs
Coil (stock?)
New carb a carter (NEW?! where did you find a new one!?)
Starter solenoid
Fuel filter (3 port? aux port turned up?)
Fuel pump
O2sensor
Cat (three way?)
Cleaned engine out of carbon (How?)
Changed gears from 456 to 373 (tire size?)
Added downdraft pulse air system to get a waiver (functional or display only?)
Changed oil
I looked at the ICm today cleaned it off put it back on
None of this has helped the stalling and the starting issue please help I'm out of money to take it to the shop
I didn't see your earlier thread - please clue me in above
Also, have you bypassed it?
If so, have you made sure the dist is correct with the mechanical advance?

Oh, have you done any wiring harness repairs that are connected to the alternator?

Strange questions, but there's a reason I ask

The starter that keeps running is either solenoid related or ignition switch reolate

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #37
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
I didn't see your earlier thread - please clue me in above
Also, have you bypassed it?
If so, have you made sure the dist is correct with the mechanical advance?

Oh, have you done any wiring harness repairs that are connected to the alternator?

Strange questions, but there's a reason I ask

The starter that keeps running is either solenoid related or ignition switch reolate
No I have not bypassed it
The coil is new
The carb is a rebuilt carter but new
The tire size is 33 s
I have not done any wiring repairs to the harness
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #38
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry the pulse air system is functional and they used a cleaner in the motor to remove the carbon and its a three way cat
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #39
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did take it and complained and they removed the cat they put on because it was wrong for free and put another rebuilt carter on it for free but now it runs worse then it ever did I think they did something or didn't do something they should of because they were mad it had never run like this and now I can't even get it to start since I brang it home I'm more then pissed but they won't touch my jeep ever again I just have to figure this out at this point and it SUcks because I find things wrong then I think yeah we found it and then it doesn't start but will be replacing plugs today check the distributer and spark at the plugs and possibly a ignition switch
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

They won't touch it? They screwed it up, took your money, and won't fix it? I'd be looking into a lawsuit.

You also might want to consider going to another mechanic and explain the situation. I know you said you don't have money but he might be willing to look at it, tell you what's wrong and give you an estimate to fix it. You could then either fix it yourself or take it back to the first guy and insist he fix it.

Otherwise, you need to start with the basics:

Remove one of the plugs. Attach it to the plug wire and set it on the block so the threaded part is grounded. Crank the starter and see if it sparks.

Disconnect the fuel line/filter from the carb and put it in a small can. Crank the starter and see if you get fuel.

If you get both of those, make sure the plug wires are routed from the distributor to the right plugs.

Take off the air cleaner and push the gas pedal to the floor once. Look and see whether the choke closes.

Those would be the initial things I'd do. Then go from there.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #41
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

We can help you out but x2 on another mechanic looking at it and documenting it. You will need it to sue. Small claims is cheap. Usually $25 to file. The documentation it's critical. Then fix it and sue them. $5k is the limit in most states. The gearing they took you for alone is enough to get me angry personally. I wish I lived closer to help. You can fix it yourself but get a good mechanic to document where you are at now.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #42
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
We can help you out but x2 on another mechanic looking at it and documenting it. You will need it to sue. Small claims is cheap. Usually $25 to file. The documentation it's critical. Then fix it and sue them. $5k is the limit in most states. The gearing they took you for alone is enough to get me angry personally. I wish I lived closer to help. You can fix it yourself but get a good mechanic to document where you are at now.
This. Going from 4.56 to 3.73 was just money gouging from someone who does not know what they are doing. You were properly geared. Now you are slightly under geared so you will work harder now then before.
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #43
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphasolder View Post
Okay took the ICm off got it tested was bad replaced that and the distributer cap and rotor and it still just turns doesn't start I have spark at the coil I know the spark plugs wires are probally old but wouldn't the jeep still start but run crappy? I haven't pulled the spark plugs to see the color yet will do tomorrow what else can it be?
I just read this whole thread. Are you really saying that in all that work that was done, they never replaced the spark plug wires? If so, that mechanic is an idiot.

FWIW, I've owned a lot of crappy old cars in the past 30 years, and changing the spark plug wires is the first thing I do after changing the oil for the first time.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #44
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You need to make sure your firing order on the distributor is correct. Look at the following link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/in...224_jeep_1.jpg

That link is the firing order for the 4.2liter engine. If the plug wires have not been changed, change them. If you have a new rotor button, and distributor cap, make sure the firing order is correct and you are getting fuel to the carb. Start with the basics. Make sure all of the basics are where they should be. If it is not starting then, I would check to make sure your timing is set correctly. Once all of that has been verified, we can better help you. But we are all just pissing in the wind until all of this has been verified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #45
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Okay some good news I've worked on her all day my husband and I changed the wires and did use the champion copper spark plugs still didn't work I started thinking about my alarm system and if could possibly shorting my ignition so I took that out and while I was doing that found a wire that wasn't totally damaged but damaged enough I fixed it then we went to start her and she tried to turn over my husband put some carb cleaner in her and she fired up and ran without dying for quite awhile then I shut her off waited a bit then tried again she fired right up again without any help and she runs so much better nice and smooth not rough like before tomorrow ill try in the morning and hopefully she'll fire right up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.