Help me understand axle gearing. trannys, and motors combined. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me understand axle gearing. trannys, and motors combined.

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Help me understand axle gearing. trannys, and motors combined.

A few things, Im doing a full resto. I pulled the 4cyl auto off the 94 yj frame and wanted to swap in a v8. and bigger axles.

I want to be on 33s to 35" tires when all said and done.

What will i experience if i build the little 30 and 35 axle? with tall gears like 4.88s on 33s? wont i gain a lot of low end but lose at highway speeds?

and same with say a 5.2L v8 auto but something like a 3.73 or 4.10/11 gearing?

and when they talk splines... do they mean the spline number needs to be the same as the TC?

Unread 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What will i experience if i build the little 30 and 35 axle? with tall gears like 4.88s on 33s? wont i gain a lot of low end but lose at highway speeds?

My D30 has cromo shafts and a lunchbox with 4.10s and it handles my 35s just fine. But If you put 4.88 gears your pinion will be alot smaller so im not sure how it will hold up.

Yes you will gain bottom end and lose top end

and same with say a 5.2L v8 auto but something like a 3.73 or 4.10/11 gearing?

I dont understand what your asking here.

and when they talk splines... do they mean the spline number needs to be the same as the TC?

If you are referring to mating a trans/tcase then they mean the out put shaft on the trans needs to have the same spline count/size as the tcase input shaft.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

First of all, what are you gonna use the jeep for? I read "highway" but that's about it. I would ditch the Dana 35 if you're gonna run a V-8 and, well, that's enough reason. If you're gonna wheel it then lose the Dana 30 as well. Gearing depends on what you're gonna do with it so look into a transfer case that will be able to keep up with the power under the hood and give you the gearing options you need. The atlas II cases come in some serious ratios so look there first. It may give you some ideas as to what your options could be. As for axle choices, give us a little background and foreshadowing and perhaps we can steer you in a direction or two.
Unread 08-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
First of all, what are you gonna use the jeep for? I read "highway" but that's about it. I would ditch the Dana 35 if you're gonna run a V-8 and, well, that's enough reason. If you're gonna wheel it then lose the Dana 30 as well. Gearing depends on what you're gonna do with it so look into a transfer case that will be able to keep up with the power under the hood and give you the gearing options you need. The atlas II cases come in some serious ratios so look there first. It may give you some ideas as to what your options could be. As for axle choices, give us a little background and foreshadowing and perhaps we can steer you in a direction or two.
Well when I say road use, I mean mostly a DD. The rig is believe it or not being built for the wifey. So Im looking for something like the 5.2 for more power/fun and economical reasons. probably keeping a trans from the GC.... but as for the TC... idk what to do, I hear the GC TC is not all that decent even.
-I have an NP231C here, and an NP231J-21 spline... (work on those? or sell and find new?)
-As for the Axle, I have been learning more about them, and most likely going with an 8.8 rear out of 95+ Explorer, disk brakes, 3.73, and Traction-Lok. found one for 275 pulled and dropped in truck bed from junk yard.

That sounds real good to me, but what am I dealing with now is should i do 3.73 or taller? more road use... and also what should I do with front axle? I have 44 but, locking hubs, longer than 8.8, 4.88 gears, different hub bolt pattern, lot of money to make it for my needs... what else can I pull a 44 out of? besides jeeps, cause you cant find used parts like that!!! and will the dana30 really not cut it for on road, and a lil mud? maybe, a super 30? but probably still need to find gears.
Unread 08-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wheel my rig almost every weekend in all kinds of terrain and my D30 is just fine. The np231 can be built to stand the power of a v8 but IMO its not worth it. I would get an atlas, stak, D300, or even a np241 if you plan to beat on it. As for your gear ratio what trans will you use? how fast do you want it to go? How often will it be on the freeway? With my 4.10s and th400 I can go 85mph at 3500rpm.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
I wheel my rig almost every weekend in all kinds of terrain and my D30 is just fine. The np231 can be built to stand the power of a v8 but IMO its not worth it. I would get an atlas, stak, D300, or even a np241 if you plan to beat on it. As for your gear ratio what trans will you use? how fast do you want it to go? How often will it be on the freeway? With my 4.10s and th400 I can go 85mph at 3500rpm.
I was looking at picking up a vortec 5.2 whether its from a GC or durango or whatever, but I dont know what trans they use. i was planning on using the trans that comes with that motor usually. keeping it auto. where can I pull those types of TCs?

what axle would be recomended to run up front, on the cheap side, and hopefully not needing much modification to fit jeep rims and jeep set up..
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Atlas Tcases are made by advance adapters, stak cases are made by stak, D300 came in CJs and some other things but I can't think of them right now.... The np241 comes in ALOT of vehicles.. As for the axles it depends what side drop the tcase is... And if you want to keep jeep rims you will be very limited for the front axle

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What's so wrong with the TC that came in early 90 ZJs? Buying a Dana300 might not be too out of my budget. But the atlas definitely is. Also is the dana300 women friendly!? Lol. Is it a single shifter deal? I'm gonna google dis stuff...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.