Help me solve this popping noise(Video link) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me solve this popping noise(Video link)

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Cashcrazy

Help me solve this popping noise(Video link)

I have a noise that sounds kinda like popcorn popping in a kettle. Listen real close and you can hear it. It's much easier to hear in person. Does anyone know what this is and what I need to do to fix it? The link below is a recording I took.

Cashcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I hear it but can't place what it would be. Hopefully someone can help... Sounds almost like something is loose - check motor/trans mounts??
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
denverd1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like you left a ratchet somewhere! Idk man. maybe thrust plate?
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Cashcrazy

It's hard to hear to due phone recording. Try to tune out the fan noise and head noise clattering. You can hear it the best after the engine is reved and the RPM's are dropping back down. It's more like a muffled air pop vs a ratchet banging around.
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Cashcrazy

I found the source of the noise. It is coming from a hose in the air cleaner. It has a suction and the noise stops when I block the airflow. Does anyone have an idea what's causing this?

Unread 06-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Vacuum...

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Cashcrazy

Something is working right in this vacuum hose. It is making a slurping noise. I have no idea what could cause this.
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Cashcrazy

After more research I have learned that this is part of the pulse air system. About the only thing not stock on the jeep is there is no cat converter. At some point a small pipe was welded to the exhaust. I assume this was part of the the cat system at some point. Does the pulse air system actually do its job missing the converter? This particular port connects to a hose that leads to the exhaust manifold that is connected to the intake. Any ideas on this? Plug it, leave it alone or??

I have been trying to get this thing running like a new jeep with all the factory components. Now I am asking myself, What were the AMC engineers thinking with their vacuum design??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.