Help me put together a YJ lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me put together a YJ lift

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Help me put together a YJ lift

Originally I had planned to just buy a RC 4" SUA kit due to the ease of having everything in one place and the price of around $450. The more I read though, people seem to advice piecing one together yourself. As I don't have the experience with lifting a YJ I'm soliciting your help to ensure I get this done the right way.

Obviously buying the RC kit would be the easiest way to do things, but I've heard that the lift tends to sag quickly. I have also heard that they have switched vendors for their springs - does anyone know if this has eliminated the problem?

Outside of that what would you recommend for individual pieces for a lift and where would you recommend purchasing it? My criteria are that I would like something I know isn't going to sag immediately and would like to keep it around $500 or less. I know I'll need the following, let me know if there's anything I'm missing.

front and rear leaf springs
power steering pitman arm
sway-bar links
front and rear track bar brackets
brakeline relocation brackets
bumpstops
u-bolts and hardware
four shocks.

seraph_rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

For what it's worth, my YJ had a Rough Country lift on it when I got it 2 years ago and I haven't had any trouble out of it.... Also, I am planning on removing my track bars to get more flex..... (Might not want to invest in the brackets for those...). Also I am no expert!
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The first question should be: How high do you want to go and what tire size are you wanting to clear? If you are going with 31" tires then a 2" - 2 1/2" lift is good. If you are going with 33" tires then a 3 1/2" to 4" lift is what you are wanting.

Here is your list:

front and rear leaf springs
power steering pitman arm (drop pitman arm is only needed on 4+" of lift)
sway-bar links (get sway-bar disconnects)
front and rear track bar brackets (throw them away, or keep in a box in the garage for inspections. YOU WILL NOT NOTICE THEY ARE MISSING!!! but will have better ride and better flex)
brakeline relocation brackets (you will need these if you remove your track bars and disconnect your sway bars. If you keep your sway bars then you won't need them because you won't flex enough to worry about it.)
bumpstops
u-bolts and hardware
four shocks.

Things you may add:

Spring eye bushings and shackle bushings
Transfer case drop kit (or if you have the $$ a SYE and new rear drive shaft)

I finally removed my front track bar (never put the rear one back on during my rebuild) and disconnected my sway bars, here is the difference in flex:

I took it wheeling last weekend and places I used to have trouble on I tackled without even slipping a tire. I wish I would have done it sooner!

As to a brand of springs? Everyone will suggest OME or BDS. I don't have experience with either one. I have an inexpensive 1.5" Supperlift with 5/8" lift MORE boom shackles and it clears my 31" tires and flexes great. Rides great and hasn't sagged in two years. I got the complete kit (minus the shackles) for $400.

HTH

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rubicon express makes a really nice set of leafs and so does bds. I'd stray away from rc they seem to be hit or miss with them. And I know for a fact that they don't flex nearly as good as say rubicon express leafs. I have rubicon express 4.5 leafs and with no sway bar or track bar. I have never lifted a tire. Get a good set of shocks. If you do a 4" lift get 5" lift shocks. On my lift I have 6" shocks. They allow you to keep you tires on the ground. But your I. The right track with piecing it together. And if your on a small Budget check craigslist
Sawicki4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys, since the question was raised I'll give you the info I have.

I'd like to fit 33's on. I considered 35's, but don't want my jeep sitting 12 feet in the air.
I'm looking at 4" of suspension lift or thereabouts. I have 2" of body lift now and ordered 5/8 boomerang shackles.
I just put in an order for an SYE and have an XJ ds that I plan to use.

People are suggesting BDS to me but I can't see spending 1500 on a lift kit. Perhaps if I just used the springs and sourced the other things somewhere else it wouldn't be so bad.
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4 36R Old Man Emu springs, your shackles, some new shocks, the SYE you have, the shaft you got, and your golden for 33s......and you wont find a better springs anywhere...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Go to this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...79/index2.html

and read post #25

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you piece a lift together chances are ul get a better lift and save a few hundred bucks in the process. If you only want 33s get a 2.5 or 3 in lift seeing how you have a 2" bl. I have 4.5 re leafs and 1" boomerang shackles. And my 35s rub with 4 people in my jeep just on the street. In going to tj flares so it's no big deal. Just something to think about. You can fit 33s stock with the right flares and trimming. But is stick with a lift. But it can be done there was a write up in Jp mag of a stock tj with 35s with plenty of flex room left b
Sawicki4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph_rapture View Post
Thanks for the help guys, since the question was raised I'll give you the info I have.

I'd like to fit 33's on. I considered 35's, but don't want my jeep sitting 12 feet in the air.
I'm looking at 4" of suspension lift or thereabouts. I have 2" of body lift now and ordered 5/8 boomerang shackles.
I just put in an order for an SYE and have an XJ ds that I plan to use.

People are suggesting BDS to me but I can't see spending 1500 on a lift kit. Perhaps if I just used the springs and sourced the other things somewhere else it wouldn't be so bad.
pay attention to what most of us have said in other threads. We are not recommending a BDS kit. We are recommending BDS springs. The springs will make or break your lift. You really do get what you want. A co worker of mine is doing an SOA on BDS 2" springs. The springs cost him under $100/ea.

Piece together a kit and either go with BDS or OME springs. Do this and you too will be a believer of good springs.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your list looks good but you don't need the sway-bar links, front and rear track bar brackets or brakeline relocation brackets. Just remove the sway and trac bars and unbolt the brake lines at the frame and pull them down a bit. That shuold be good until you get over about 5" of (suspension)lift. Your 2" BL will not effect the brake lines at all. I run a 4" lift and still ahve slack in my brake lines when the axle at full droop. And all I did was unbolt the lines and bund them down over the frame a bit.

Personally I would get some OME springs. I went with RC, and they sag really quickly and ride like crap. I got them for the price, but I'm tired of dealing with them now and will be switching to OME's. And yes... I have the " new RC springs". They still sag and ride like crap. Either go with the 36R OME springs or go BDS. You won't regret either.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
Your list looks good but you don't need the sway-bar links, front and rear track bar brackets or brakeline relocation brackets. Just remove the sway and trac bars and unbolt the brake lines at the frame and pull them down a bit. That shuold be good until you get over about 5" of lift.

You might also want to add a transfer case drop tot hat list. Depending on how much you lift it you might even get away with using some washers as spacers.

Personally I would get some OME springs. I went with RC, and they sag really quickly and ride like crap. I got them for the price, but I'm tired of dealing with them now and will be switching to OME's. And yes... I have the " new RC springs". They still sag and ride like crap.

No worry on the t-case drop, a couple posts up he said he ordered an SYE.
Budget Welding Cart

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again. Is there a place I can order 3.5 or 4" BDS springs, bushings, and as much as what I'll need to do SUA in the same place to cut down on shipping costs?
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
Kamikaze
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Have you givin' "Fat Bob Garage" in Ogden Utah a look at? They make very good suspension produce and are very helpful. Also their price is reasonable. Some of these local shops do make amazing product for less money then a big namebrand. My opinion. Good luck.
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From www.BDS-suspension.com

The part number for the springs will be 004351 This is the heavy duty spring for the front and rear. It will support the weight of the spare tires, bumpers, winch, etc.

Call BDS and talk to them. They prefer you order from your local distributor but they will sell direct to you. You can order from their website if you want, but you can get free shipping if you have it shipped to your local dealer.

I would order the springs from them, then everything else from where ever you can find the best deal. 4wd.com, Q-tech, 4wheel parts, etc.
Budget Welding Cart

Quote:
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't waste the money on tax and possibly shipping by ordering from your local dealer. Find your lift springs in the BDS catalog and order through the website and have it shipped to your local dealer. My dealer was a jerk and tried to charge tax (legally he has to) and shipping (because the order wasnt over $1000). Shocks can be had for $30 apiece and the shims will have to be measured for and ordered while your driveline is being built. If you have any specific questions, refer to some of my other posts on the subject or feel free to PM me. You wouldn't be the first asking for a build plan. Dont forget to factor lift shackles into your lift plans! Full mil wrap springs will not work with stock shackles.

Everyone pretty much covered everything up there, I just posted cause I'm bored.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.