Help me with my Brakes... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me with my Brakes...

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
BRC_1980
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Help me with my Brakes...

I know I may be dumb but I've done brakes many times and this time I'm stumped. Mind you, never on a jeep. Below you can see.

The top part of the caliper is 1/4" short from getting on. It just won't go over. When my old pads are on, it fits with ease but those are old. There's no way to push the middle part any further back.

pads.jpg   caliper.jpg  
BRC_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
kmagnuss
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't fit because everything on your jeep is too clean. It has no business looking like that. Rub some dirt on it and make it leak oil somewhere and it will fit... promise.
Unread 08-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Take the red plug out and try. ;-)
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
BRC_1980
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's clean because there isn't a thing on it that has been used. It can't be used because I can't figure out the stupid brake thing. I had a mechanic of 30 years stumped. He tried for 1 hour and said he has to go lol. Oh, and it does leak, that's the next project. I'm sure that will go as well as this.

Red plug is added color to this all black thing.
Unread 08-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you may have the wrong rotors and possibly pads.

see if this helps http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...itment-893491/

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
BRC_1980
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rotors are identical. Calipers are the exact same. I replaced them just because I thought I couldn't push the calipers back far enough to fit as in picture 2 but I actually did. The only thing different are the size of the pads. The only reason there is a difference of size is because one is old and the other new. That thread is for 90 to 95 (oh nm re-read it) and it is the same as the videos I've watched which haven't helped. Still doesn't make since why it's this much trouble.

The pads are right. I checked online and called Napa, Autozone, Pep Boys, and Whoopies or whatever. All told me the same. I wish one would say different because I would try those.
Unread 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are those retaining clips necessary? I don't ever remember having those with stock brakes. I doubt that would cause a quarter inch difference in the calipers going on or not though. Are the calipers the same as the old ones? The rotors? Something has to have a wrong part number. What year jeep do you have, and can you post pictures of the old stuff?

Do the old calipers go on with the new pads and old rotors?
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

was looking at your picture with the rotors.. there isnt much stud sticking out to put the wheel on? Check the height to the inside of the hat.. it makes a big difference there... not the height to the outside. take pictures of your old parts next to your new parts...something has to be different... did you take both sides apart at the same time or one at a time? If the other side is still together take pictures of that side..

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How is this jeep so shiney and new?!
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
Jones-Maryland
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Please fill out your profile, what year jeep. The brake mounts changed sometime in 89-91 so important to get the right parts. I know I went down this road with mine, also I have been given parts that were incorrect but the store swore they were, went to a different company to get the right one. Just a thought.
Jones-Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #11
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Wrong parts. Parts house counter guys are not mechanics. Get parts that fit what you have and it will work.
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

looks like wrong rotors to me and I've never seen those clips on a YJ before, though I suppose it might have been factory OEM
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #13
BRC_1980
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They gave me the wrong pads. They wouldn't go back far enough but switched them and it worked. The last guy I called. Thanks guys.

It shiney and new because everything has been replaced.
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Huge help though from everyone. I have my new rotors, calipers and pads on the way. If I have a problem I will be sure to spill some dirty oil on them and roll them in the dirt before the pics..
IA93Javert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #15
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
Wrong parts. Parts house counter guys are not mechanics. Get parts that fit what you have and it will work.
I second this notion a million million times. I do not like those parts jerks...

When I lived out in the country, the autozone people knew what they were doing. Here in the city, I don't know how any of the service employees can even function in society...
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.