Help me make a decision, lots of questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me make a decision, lots of questions

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
itship2bsquare
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Help me make a decision, lots of questions

Ok, I have an 89 YJ 4.2 that is mostly stock other than a shackle lift and a recent upgrade to an AX-15 trans.
I've been reading thru the various forums about SOA, 350 swaps, Axle swaps, thank you all by the way trying to make a decision on what to do.
First thoughts are to do just a SOA with the current setup but also thinking about swapping it all out ,motor,trans,t case, axles... with a donor vehicle that I have its a 1979 Blazer with a running 350 and a 350 or 400 turbo trans, not sure on the transfer case or the axles but what do you think, pros and cons?

I know the axle width would be greater but not the biggest problem I can think of.

1, Will the motor and auto trans and T case fit so that a drive shaft will function properly.
2, Transfer case is on the opposite side, will it work without a ton of fabbing.

3, Will a 350 Chevy mate to an AX-15, if it does with an adapter, is it strong enough? (If this will work than it would be the way to go I think)
4,??

Or leave it alone and just stick with the SOA and stock axles and motor...
Thanks in advance.
Terry

Last edited by itship2bsquare; 06-20-2011 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Edit to remove the word Budget : )
itship2bsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is this another "SOA on a budget thread"? The worst thing about a yj is that it's extremely difficult to upgrade jet one part without spending a lot of time and money to do it. Your fourth option as it seems the cheapest will run you somewhere around $2500 to do correctly as hawk37 just calculated. That's just the lift with all it's quirks and tires with a regear. My opinion: Lift the blazer, it'll be cheaper and save a headache.

Not meaning to be harsh but what you're asking is going to take more work than it's worth unless you really love the tub on your yj.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Budget and SAO dont seem to go together to well....

I did my SOA as cheaply as I could, doing it all myself with some help, and buying parts and things as I went....SYE from AA, used an XJ shaft I CUT down and welded my self, relocated my brake lines to avoid buying new ones, used RROTT highsteer setup, perches, I reloacted shock mounts to avoid buying new ones, but now I need new ones, as I drop to much and my shocks top out.... so new shocks... and it just goes on as you get into it....

itstill will end up well over $1500, jsut in parts, (highsteer included) I say highster cause if you dont do this at the same its a waste and almost undrivable, well some ppl will and say its 'fine' maybe to you, but try making some quick adjustments in steering and your gone....

anyhow... do some more research SAO is NOT just putting springs on top of axles, if it were that easy everyone would be doing it..... everyone is not....

now add the whole 350 swap and your adding more $$, plus the trans swap more $$... you have them aking of a 5 grand project there easily.

really, buy a 4" lift, SYE and jsut lift it....

id you did not say budget I would say fly at it, but this wont happen on a 'budget'

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
itship2bsquare
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, "Budget" please disregard. I am not trying to reinvent someone elses thread, only looking for the incite like you have given, The body is shot on the Blazer otherwise that would be rolling right now and I miss that power the v-8 has versus the 4.2.
I know there are many adapters you can purchase to do some of these swaps and looking for advice.
itship2bsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What do you want to do with this rig? Will it see street? Are your trails intense enough that you need 35's? The real question you have to ask yourself is: why can't my jeep do what I need it to do with what it's already got? If you're building it just to have the baddest jeep on the block, go for full swap with everything you can get your hands on. If you need to get out of your mile long driveway that has 28" of fresh powder just to get to work, take pictures of the more modest build too. In my absolutely honest opinion I think you should build within your budget and keep in mind what you're using the jeep for. Be practical. I know guys with stock jeeps who play off road but they're smart enough to have a winch because they know that getting home is more important than the bragging rights of being "king of the mountain".

Build it for what you think you'll use it for, and add 10%. Like a winch or a lunchbox locker and in some cases 10% is upgrading your LS1.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.