Help me identify these wires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me identify these wires

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Help me identify these wires

I have 3 wires coming out of the back of the tub of my 1993 YJ

1 Green (Ground)
1 Black (Power when lights are on)
1 Yellow (Does nothing)

I know my YJ came with a tow package from the factory, is this the wiring for it? It wouldn't make sense because it wouldn't control blinkers ect

I was going to splice into it for my 3rd brakelight because I was assuming the yellow was brake power but I'm not getting any power out of it from anything

Anyone?

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Jeeperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also with the stock hardtop wiring (on the harness end) I'm confused on what is what.

I have constant power on the pink wire but only have power on the yellow wire when the door is closed. The other wires do nothing

Shouldn't it be opposite? Power into yellow when the door is open? How is the courtesy light supposed to light up. My YJ came factory with a hardtop with wiper

I now have a hardtop that has defrost. I don't have the original hardtop

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone?

I'd like to tap into a wire somewhere to allow the 3rd brake light to work. I don't understand the 3 wire wiring system of the brake lights

And to tap into the brake light switch I don't know what wire is outgoing??

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperez View Post
I have 3 wires coming out of the back of the tub of my 1993 YJ

1 Green (Ground)
1 Black (Power when lights are on)
1 Yellow (Does nothing)

I know my YJ came with a tow package from the factory, is this the wiring for it? It wouldn't make sense because it wouldn't control blinkers ect

I was going to splice into it for my 3rd brakelight because I was assuming the yellow was brake power but I'm not getting any power out of it from anything

Anyone?
Hit the brakes and see if the yellow light ends up with voltage. It may be the brake light. Keep in mind the tail light bulbs have 2 filaments one for tail light and one for brakes/turn signals.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also with the stock hardtop wiring (on the harness end) I'm confused on what is what.

I have constant power on the pink wire but only have power on the yellow wire when the door is closed. The other wires do nothing

Shouldn't it be opposite? Power into yellow when the door is open? How is the courtesy light supposed to light up. My YJ came factory with a hardtop with wiper

I now have a hardtop that has defrost. I don't have the original hardtop
I had some input for a '95 HT wiring question. The wire colors are probably not the same for your '93 but the pathways are the same and so are the locations/pin outs.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...arness-866334/

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Hit the brakes and see if the yellow light ends up with voltage. It may be the brake light. Keep in mind the tail light bulbs have 2 filaments one for tail light and one for brakes/turn signals.
I had my wife step on the brakes; key on or key off, lights on or lights off there is no power going to the yellow wire. I have no idea what its for

I ended up splicing into the driver side tail light for now just so I could get the 3rd brakelight to work

As for the hardtop I got as far as figuring this..

Black (Ground)
Yellow (Switched Power via courtesy lights..door closed gives power)
Pink (Constant Power)
Brown w/white stripe (Switched power via wiper/washer switch)
Brown w/yellow stripe (Unknown)
Brown w/black stripe (Unknown)

If the yellow wasn't switched backwards I would just be able to use it as the courtesy light (dome on HT) and then use the wiper/washer switch for the defroster

Unread 07-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
Myjeep1986
1986 CJ7 

Rear wiring

Check out justjeeps.com service manual, group 8W pages 108 through 111 out of 240; this is the book I have and used to do entire rewire from fog lamps to license plate light;
Also the 3rd brake light is fed from 2 wires exiting the tailgate from right rear wheel well;
File Type: pdf 93 yj tail lights wiring.pdf (28.9 KB, 19 views)
Myjeep1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The yellow isn't exactly switched backward. With the door closed it provides ground, giving power to that circuit. May want to check the wires on your jamb switch and see if they are reversed.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
The yellow isn't exactly switched backward. With the door closed it provides ground, giving power to that circuit. May want to check the wires on your jamb switch and see if they are reversed.
By jamb switch do you mean the switch on the door sill?

Heres an update because I believe the wire colors I said before were wrong

On the HARDTOP
BLACK w WHITE STRIPE - Ground for Dome
PINK- Power for Dome
BLACK- Ground for Defroster
BROWN w WHITE STRIPE- Power for Defroster

On the TUB
PINK- Constant
YELLOW- Power, switched via door switch
BROWN w GREEN STRIPE- unknown
BROWN w GRAY STRIPE- Switched via washer switch
BROWN w YELLOW STRIPE- unknown
BLACK- Ground

Door Switch
Yellow
Black w green stripe

I tried putting the hardtop ground to tub ground and then HT pink to the tub Yellow but I get very little voltage going to the bulb, its very dim. It gives power when the door is closed and shuts off when the door is open but it also stops the switch on the door from shutting off the foot lamp at all, just goes dim to bright and vice versa. It returns to normal when I undo the wiring from the HT. The bulb works bright as day when attached to the pink constant power from the tub.

What am I doing wrong, I am just trying to get the dome light to switch with the foot lamp so I have interior lights working properly

Unread 08-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

bump for some help

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind that the wire colors are different for different years...UNLESS they didn't change the wire colors......

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Keep in mind that the wire colors are different for different years...UNLESS they didn't change the wire colors......

Thank you for the diagram, it helps.

So according to that, I should not be using the ground on the harness but should be connecting the circuit from constant power (pink) to lamp to yellow (which I am also getting a very low voltage). The colors match exactly what I have.
Or is the voltage i'm getting on the yellow backfed giving me the low voltage because its grounding out

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think you got it right. The switches/lamps self ground by being in contact with the body circuit M1 the pink wire is the power source. The M2 circuit is the other half of that connecting circuit so to speak. The rear dome lamp also gets it power through the M1 circuit on another pink wire in the tub harness and the M2 circuit is also present in the tub harness to accomplish the same thing again.

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ah it makes sense now. As for the passenger side door jamb and lamp was that an option from the factory? I believe the wiring is there but I only have a rubber plug where the door jamb should be and no light

Unread 08-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ah it makes sense now. As for the passenger side door jamb and lamp was that an option from the factory? I believe the wiring is there but I only have a rubber plug where the door jamb should be and no light
Good question. I have no idea if those cheap buggers made the pass side light switch an 'option'. That switch is pretty much standard on any other car I have seen going back to the 40's

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.