Help me identify my transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me identify my transmission

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
ipooted205

Help me identify my transmission

Okay so I need some help finding out what transmission I actually have. I went looking for linkage for my transfer case and for some reason on all the 2.5 L five speeds Linkages show a smaller bolt hole in the bottom. On mine it requires a bigger bolt which I had not seen yet. But I did find a linkage from a six cylinder five speed And it matches up to exactly the one I have But again the bolthole is smaller in the bottom. I've included The album from my photo bucket For some reason let me upload the photos. Thanks

http://s606.photobucket.com/user/ipo...5/library/jeep

ipooted205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think that's an AX15, the AX5 has the drain plug on the bottom and I don't see a bottom drain plug in the pictures you posted. You may want to get a second opinion on this though.

Also, you may want to post a better picture, I can't really tell where you pulled that bolt from.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
ipooted205

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper View Post
I think that's an AX15, the AX5 has the drain plug on the bottom and I don't see a bottom drain plug in the pictures you posted. You may want to get a second opinion on this though.

Also, you may want to post a better picture, I can't really tell where you pulled that bolt from.
Ok thanks for you're reply. I'll have to get a better look at it when I get home. Sorry about the pictures I was in a hurry this morning. I'll post better ones when I get a chance.

Is there any other ways I can tell just by looking at it? I know the check plug is on the drivers side. I just want to get the right linkage. The old one keeps getting stuck in 4low.
ipooted205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That would be an AX-5 in your picture.
You can tell by the position of the plug on the drivers side.
The AX-5 has it between the horizontal ribs.
The AX-15 has the plug in the middle of one of the ribs.

The AX-5 used a steel intermediate plate whereas the AX-15 used an aluminum intermediate plate. (The part painted black in the AX-5 pic below)
A magnet will tell you which intermediate plate you have.

AX-15

AX-5
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^^^^^What he said

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
That would be an AX-5 in your picture.
You can tell by the position of the plug on the drivers side.
The AX-5 has it between the horizontal ribs.
The AX-15 has the plug in the middle of one of the ribs.

The AX-5 used a steel intermediate plate whereas the AX-15 used an aluminum intermediate plate. (The part painted black in the AX-5 pic below)
A magnet will tell you which intermediate plate you have.

AX-15

AX-5
those are really good reference pics...are there ones like that for the Peugeot and auto's too?
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.