• 1 Post By timatoe
  • 2 Post By -OIIIIIIIO-01

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Help Me with a Hard Top

Looking for some help here, I have never owned a hard top and I don't know anyone with a YJ hard top either.

I picked up a hard top and full doors a little while back. The hard top has no mounting hardware, and the back glass has been replaced with Plexiglass (or something similar)

Ill post some pic up when I get home later.

Questions;

1) What is the best way to mount? I've seen latches and screws that hold them into place?

2) What type of liner or foam goes between the tub and hardtop?

3) Who makes a good rear glass replacement?

4) Needs paint, is the krylon stuff still the best stuff to use? (seemed to be the popular choice a few years ago)

links or part numbers would be great, thanks in advance!

91 YJ 4.0/AX15/231J AA SYE/ Tom Woods CV
3.5" BDS Springs / .75" Booms / 1"BL
HP D30 /Akebono's /1 Ton GM Crossover Steering
Ford 8.8 / Trac loc LSD w/ disc brakes
35x12.5x16 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Walbro255 MetalCloaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Rear glass, seems like something is missing from the bottom.
Attached Images

Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #3 of 12 Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Where it mounts to the windshield.
Attached Images

Walbro255 MetalCloaks

post #4 of 12 Old 09-13-2017, 02:23 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

ALL of the soft top hardware will need to be removed. The top just sits on and screws to the windshield frame through those holes on the front rail. On the back side edges, it bolts down with a bolt and nut (factory was a small plate to keep the bottom from spinning).

Personally, I'd just get something like THIS and be done with it. Actually, I'm cheap so, I'd likely piece something similar together for half the cost.

You can get order the foam seal for about $50, but again, I'm cheap so I'd just get some sticky back weatherstripping.

If you're looking for that bottom trim piece for the back glass, you're likely looking at salvages, I don't think anyone makes an aftermarket piece.
-OIIIIIIIO-01 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
ALL of the soft top hardware will need to be removed. The top just sits on and screws to the windshield frame through those holes on the front rail. On the back side edges, it bolts down with a bolt and nut (factory was a small plate to keep the bottom from spinning).

Personally, I'd just get something like THIS and be done with it. Actually, I'm cheap so, I'd likely piece something similar together for half the cost.

You can get order the foam seal for about $50, but again, I'm cheap so I'd just get some sticky back weatherstripping.

If you're looking for that bottom trim piece for the back glass, you're likely looking at salvages, I don't think anyone makes an aftermarket piece.
Thanks for the help!

Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #6 of 12 Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 AM
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

seems like its cut to shape... so if it gets trapped under the lip of your tail gate top edge... should be fine.

i agree with weather stripping from home depot.

id change those screws to draw latches (i did) fir the widshield seal. easy enough project...holds it tight...eliminates wind noise with a proper seal and never breaks loose. but just sold my top as my winters are more n more mild and im sick of finding storage solutions annually.

for paint i just scuffed and satin blacked it in krylon fusion (for plastic). no primer. top coated in clear and i had no issues. touch ups were a breeze.
-OIIIIIIIO-01 likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #7 of 12 Old 09-14-2017, 09:15 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OIIIIIIIO-01 View Post
Rear glass, seems like something is missing from the bottom.
Its a fiberglass trim set Quadratec part number 12501.3290

They also have lift gate glass the cheapest I have found it so far. $135 and free shiping. Part number 12501.3201

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
post #8 of 12 Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 AM
davjohns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There are bolts that hold it to either side of the tub. Many people use just those and ignore the ones at the windshield. I much prefer the bolts that have big plastic heads that can be turned by hand. You can get a set on Amazon or Ebay, but it is just as easy to go to a good harware store and get them. You'll need specialty nuts for the underside that sit in the channel without turning. They are long and often rounded on either end. Look at the channel on either side where the wiring runs and you'll get the idea.

I added footers to my leading edge to mate up with the draws for my Bestop soft top. On my last Wrangler, I didn't do anything about the windshield mounting. I just thought I had the draws on this one, so I might as well use them.

The fun part is wrestling that awkward monster on and off the Jeep. I just put it on my shoulders with my head down and find a balance point. When I go to put it on the Jeep, I have to press it up with my hands to get it high enough. I'm strong than most, though. You might want to look into a hoist.

David
post #9 of 12 Old 09-16-2017, 11:58 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Its a fiberglass trim set Quadratec part number 12501.3290

They also have lift gate glass the cheapest I have found it so far. $135 and free shiping. Part number 12501.3201

That's good info, didn't realize anyone was making that bottom piece. And that is a good price on the glass.
shaggyjim likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-16-2017, 01:47 PM
1990_jeep_yj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
That's good info, didn't realize anyone was making that bottom piece. And that is a good price on the glass.

The glass is very worth the price. I bought it when my hard tip flew out the bed of a pickup and destroyed the back glass. And the only problem I have wit it it is the extra hole or two that wasn't there on the original. Just gonna put something to seal it up with.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
-OIIIIIIIO-01
Mall Rated

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to thank everyone for there help, and part numbers! gonna start working on the hard top next week!

Thank you again!
timatoe and shaggyjim like this.

Walbro255 MetalCloaks
post #12 of 12 Old 09-21-2017, 10:30 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I leave the soft top rail on the wimdshield when I put my hard top on. It makes it sit a little higher but I don't have to worry about stripping out the holes by putting the screwws in and out all the time.
For weather stripping, around the back I have1/4 x 1" closed cell faom weather strip from the home stores. on the windshield I got a piece of foam pipe insulation and sliced about a 1.5 inch strip (half of the pice meant for a 1/2 pipe ) and put it curved side down on the top before setting the windshield. Sometimes you might need to replace the metal strip that holds the front of the top to the windshield. I did because the PO reamed out the holes to the point where they broke through the bottom edge. Another thing I did which was genius. I got S/S nutserts and replaced the self tapping screws that hold down the windshield with S/S bolts. No stripping, no sticking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.