help me decide which lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help me decide which lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 05-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
tolcu79
1993 YJ Wrangler 

help me decide which lift

The title pretty much says it all. I am trying to decide which lift to purchase. I have all but decided to keep it cheap. I do realize that you get what you pay for. Ideally I would like to run 33" tires. As of right now I am thinking about the 4" rough country or the 4" rustys. I have heard quite a lot abouth these 2 companys and would like your opinions. One more thing I want to keep the center of gravity low. Do I really need a 4" lift to run 33" tires? I have cut out flares, a 1" body lift and some inexpensive boomerang shackles right now.

tolcu79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
cinneman
1930 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolcu79 View Post
The title pretty much says it all. I am trying to decide which lift to purchase. I have all but decided to keep it cheap. I do realize that you get what you pay for. Ideally I would like to run 33" tires. As of right now I am thinking about the 4" rough country or the 4" rustys. I have heard quite a lot abouth these 2 companys and would like your opinions. One more thing I want to keep the center of gravity low. Do I really need a 4" lift to run 33" tires? I have cut out flares, a 1" body lift and some inexpensive boomerang shackles right now.
check out the sticky above on what will my jeep look like with XX size tires. Maybe that will help give you an idea....

this is 31.5" and 1.5" lift..stock flares...

Unread 05-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
tolcu79
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response cinneman. I have checked out the sticky and my question is mainly regarding the performance aspect of the lift. I really don't care whether I have a 4" or 2.5" lift. I just don't want to stuff the tire in the fender well in an off camber situation.
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
justanotherhemi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well i have been the proud new owner of a Rough Country 4in lift for the last 3 months. All though it has saged 1/2in or so once the springs settled in it just stoped. I would recommened it to anybody who is looking for a lift on a budget.

Here are some pics of my DIRTY Jeep

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
justanotherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
justanotherhemi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

BTW as you can see i have more than enough room for the 33s. Good luck
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
justanotherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the ome for 2 two reasons. First,I plan to go no bigger than
33's and for some reason if I get a wild idea to go soa I can still use the
springs. Second, the ride quality.

I can not say enough about how smooth the ride is and how much more flex I
have. It feels like the tires are always in contact with the road.

My set up is 1" BL, 3/4" greasable shackles and the OME springs and shocks.
You will not be sorry.

A few weeks ago I bent one of the front springs a little; not sure how but I
was on some pretty rocky trails that day. I called ARB and they are going to
warranty it, no problem. The spring was not in stock so I have to wait a
couple of weeks but I might upgrade to a heavier version instead, still
thinking about it. I had not planned on adding a winch but I might change my
mind.

I got my kit from Jason here:
http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet/StoreFront

There are really not any big discounts available for OME but he treated me
right and shipped out super fast.

jason is no longer there, this is the new guy. brenta@theusedjeep.com
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Old Man Eme 2.5" lift springs, amazing flex, and I LOVE THEM, got mine thru Western Warehouse....awsome guys, delivered to my work, and bolted it on in a couple days, got the 4 springs all new greasable shackles, shocks, bushings, everything....cept new Ubolts and the spring hanger bolts they gave were a bit short so getting new ones of these.....I run 33x12.5x15, TSL Swampers, with tubbed back and flat front fenders.

You dont want to stuff your fender that may be a problem, mine stuffs really good...

This is with a 3" BL and the 2.5" springs and cut fenders on 33 it is touching hte Dside fender and the pass side is maxed to the point of breaking a brake line and the shock is tapped out....

I used the heavy duty springs, been about 2 months now and no sag...even with TOP And Spare in teh back and all the gear......impressive springs.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
FarmBoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know almost everyone will say they love what they have

I just went through the "which lift do I choose?" thing. I came up with three choices for me OME, RE, and BDS. I decided on BDS, and have not been disappointed. Nothing wrong with OME, but they will cost quite a bit more.
RE is a good choice as well. I decided on BDS because their price was very competetive. Everyone I know if is happy with them. I'm from MI and so are they. I'm about an hour from them, and I'd rather do business locally if I can.

Personally I wouldn't put a RC kit on. Far to many people have had issues that I wouldn't want to take the chance.

-jeff b.
Unread 05-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
tolcu79
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies. I believe you guys may have convinced me to go with OME. By the way does anyone know what their warranty is on springs? I am thinking 33" tires are enough for now. If not, like jbolty said I would go soa next and I can reuse the springs. Should I buy just the springs or the "lift kit." I mean did you actually need the transfer drop kit? I know that I will already have to come up with brakelines and u-bolts anyway. I am thinking of maybe just buying the springs and shocks.

Thanks for the help.

By the way great pics of the jeep flexing giggityjeeper.
Unread 05-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I believe you guys may have convinced me to go with OME. By the way does anyone know what their warranty is on springs? I am thinking 33" tires are enough for now. If not, like jbolty said I would go soa next and I can reuse the springs. Should I buy just the springs or the "lift kit." I mean did you actually need the transfer drop kit? I know that I will already have to come up with brakelines and u-bolts anyway. I am thinking of maybe just buying the springs and shocks.

Thanks for the help.

By the way great pics of the jeep flexing giggityjeeper.
I THINK all the springs they have are consider a 2 - 2 1/2 lift. You would not need a transfer case drop for that.

It was cheaper to get the kit, rather than just the parts individually but I asked them to swap out the t-case kit for u bolts so I got just what I needed.

good luck
Unread 05-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #11
tolcu79
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks that is exactly what I was getting at. I already have a 1" body lift and a 1" mml so I think that my drive line angle would be o.k. What about brake lines? Did you have to use extensions? If so I think that I would go ahead and just replace them with stainless steel ones.

Thanks Tommy
Unread 05-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks that is exactly what I was getting at. I already have a 1" body lift and a 1" mml so I think that my drive line angle would be o.k. What about brake lines? Did you have to use extensions? If so I think that I would go ahead and just replace them with stainless steel ones.

Thanks Tommy
Yes. I got 4" longer cuz they were the same price, dont recall where I got them. Was maybe $80 for all three lines
Unread 05-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks Tommy

Couple things I found, YES The tcase drop kit I needed, the angle was to bad without, you could get by, but I think and this is only my 2 cents, the drop kit is needed, brake lines, YES after doing it, the OME FLEX, and FLEX a lot, if my shocks were not taped out, I would have snapped a line for sure, os yes on those to, more to be safe then sorry. I also got a 3" BL, but that wont matter for angles.

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
Unread 05-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I THINK all the springs they have are consider a 2 - 2 1/2 lift. You would not need a transfer case drop for that.

It was cheaper to get the kit, rather than just the parts individually but I asked them to swap out the t-case kit for u bolts so I got just what I needed.

good luck

Ya the springs a 2.5", I got prolly almost 4" lift, but my original springs were almost inverted.. ....with the shackles, It sits up almost 4" higher
now, I dont get hung up on crap that normalyy would botom me out, and the flex like I said all 4 stay on the ground...give me way better traction as well.

You will love them....

Unread 05-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #15
tolcu79
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I have another question rattling around in my head. I am thinking that I might swap in an 8.8 while I do this lift, (which is still maybe a year or so out). What have some of you guys done left the D35 or swapped with the 8.8?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.