JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   help me decide! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/help-me-decide-7428/)

Skeeter 03-04-2002 02:40 PM

help me decide!

I have a daily driver. I going to get a lift soon 1.5 super lift or the OME . But, I also want to regear with 410's and add a detroit trulock also for 31's. I have a thousand bucks to play with. what should I do first? O ya, I have 307 gears now If that makes a difference. Any sugestions would be great :D

clarky711 03-04-2002 05:26 PM

I probably wouldn't spend the money to re-gear for just 31's. I would wait till you go to 33's to make it worth your while. Also I would do the lift first, an then wait to put in the true-trac and re-gear, when you go one step up(you will!!). Hope that helps. I have heard good things about OME lift too. How easy was it to install the Daystar 1" body lift? Did you have any problems after the install?

osburn 03-04-2002 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by skeeter:
and add a detroit trulock
What is that? If you're talking about a limited slip, I really wouldn't recommend buying one. If ya get it from the factory, fine. But actually paying for something that is only marginally better than open is not much bang for the buck in my opinion.

I changed gears when I ran 31s too. I did it because I was having ARBs installed and it pays to do gears at the same time. I put in 4.10s and absolutely loved it. They worked good for the 33s I put under eventually too. But if I was installing gears and already had 33s, I would have went with 4.56s.

95yj-4 cyl 03-04-2002 07:53 PM

The best advice is to have an idea of what you want your Jeep to be when it grows up :D . Seriously, decide on what you'll eventually want. If you want to go to 33's, then start in that direction (too many guys start with 31's (and an appropriate lift), then decide they want 33's (and then a new lift to fit the 33's), then 35's (again, with a new lift) * getting the idea here?*
If you decide you'll want more tires and lift, I would recommend going with a gear change for your projected tire size (and forget the limited slip, go with a locker--a lockright works great for most peoples purposes--plus not too expensive). Next, I would go with the lift that you'll eventually need (an Old Man Emu is a GREAT kit, but only lifts 2 1/2" (enough for 31's).
To sum this up, pay for what you'll want once, and you'll save yourself a bundle.
P.S. With 3:07 gears, you'll absolutely LOVE new gears (will feel like a new Jeep).

osburn 03-04-2002 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 95yj-4 cyl:
The best advice is to have an idea of what you want your Jeep to be when it grows up :D . Seriously, decide on what you'll eventually want. If you want to go to 33's, then start in that direction (too many guys start with 31's (and an appropriate lift), then decide they want 33's (and then a new lift to fit the 33's), then 35's (again, with a new lift) * getting the idea here?*
If you decide you'll want more tires and lift, I would recommend going with a gear change for your projected tire size (and forget the limited slip, go with a locker--a lockright works great for most peoples purposes--plus not too expensive). Next, I would go with the lift that you'll eventually need (an Old Man Emu is a GREAT kit, but only lifts 2 1/2" (enough for 31's).
To sum this up, pay for what you'll want once, and you'll save yourself a bundle.
P.S. With 3:07 gears, you'll absolutely LOVE new gears (will feel like a new Jeep).

I agree to a certain extent. That is, if you just built it big in the first place you'd save money. Costs a lot to get there though. With incremental building, you gain skill as the Jeep grows. If I had built my Jeep like it is now right off the bat, I would have saved thousands of dollars. But I wasn't skilled enough to use it.

Skeeter 03-05-2002 04:00 PM

Thanks guy's, I think I will do the lift first, then regear with a locker of some sort. I don't see myself going any bigger then 31's so the 410's should be fine. It is a daily driver and I do plain to do some off roading really soon. Thats why i was thinking more of the true-tac. Instead of a full locker. > clarky711, the Daystar was fairly easy. No problems after the install at all. In fact! it rides better then the stock mounts
:D thanks again

The time now is 01:29 PM.