Help me decide... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me decide...

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
micfly83

Help me decide...

I'm in the market for some new tires. And being the poor college student I am I was gonna get some kumho mud terrains (heard nothing but good things about them). My friend then suggest maxxis buckshot mudders. I had never heard of them before and he said only the rednecks know about them. I looked at some reviews and they also seem to be really good. So I'm lookin for some advice from yall on which route to take.

Kumho mud terrains vs maxxis buckshot mudders (or any other cheap good brand you can think of)

Also, I'm tryin to decide if its actually worth it to drop all this money for 2" of tire (steppin up to 33s). Ill be gettin 4.88 gears with them so its gonna cost like $1800 for just a couple inches of rubber . What do you think?

1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ, 2.5L High Output, High flow aluminum intake, 4.0L Throttle Body, 62mm TB Spacer, bored out intake manifold, 5spd, 3" suspension lift, 31" BFG A/Ts, Two 10,000lb tow hooks, DT3000s, Outland lightbar, 5 high powered offroad lights, Mapp Nerf Bars, 102" whip antenna, Midland CB, 6 speaker soundbar, Smallest leaf removed, Air restrictor removed, No trackbars, No swaybars, No A/C, Custom 32 song horn-

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/753987
micfly83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dont know much about the Maxxis tires, but I've only seen good with the Kumhos. I wheel/wheeled with quite a few people that have them, and they've always been great. It should cost you a couple hundred less than that for the tires and regear. I'm personally running the 2.5 w/33's and its tolerable. But if you have the coin, the 4.88's are precious.

BTW, might ask to get this moved to lift/shocks/tires, where it will get more views/responses.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
micfly83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
Dont know much about the Maxxis tires, but I've only seen good with the Kumhos. I wheel/wheeled with quite a few people that have them, and they've always been great. It should cost you a couple hundred less than that for the tires and regear. I'm personally running the 2.5 w/33's and its tolerable. But if you have the coin, the 4.88's are precious.

BTW, might ask to get this moved to lift/shocks/tires, where it will get more views/responses.
Well the prices are as follows:

Regear:

I called a place and they said they would do it for $1000-$1100, which was the cheapest I could find out of the 7 places I tired. I then went to the actual shop to ask about a fender that I needed that I had broke, and asked them how much it would cost to regear and then mount and balance the tires (again just to see what they would say). They said they would regear for $1200-$1250 and then mount the tires for free. So they changed the price on me, and tried to act like they were doin a favor by mounting the tires for free. So basically I'm just going to call them up and say "I got a quote from you guys for $1000 to $1100 for a regear and i'd like to bring it in"

Tires:

The cheapest I found kumhos came out to be $520 shipped with summitracing.com

All the shops I've called, the price came out to about $650 (mounted).

Conclusion:

So all in all its gonna come out to be at least $1700 or $1800 with everything said and done.

If you know any cheaper routes fill me in
1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ, 2.5L High Output, High flow aluminum intake, 4.0L Throttle Body, 62mm TB Spacer, bored out intake manifold, 5spd, 3" suspension lift, 31" BFG A/Ts, Two 10,000lb tow hooks, DT3000s, Outland lightbar, 5 high powered offroad lights, Mapp Nerf Bars, 102" whip antenna, Midland CB, 6 speaker soundbar, Smallest leaf removed, Air restrictor removed, No trackbars, No swaybars, No A/C, Custom 32 song horn-

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/753987
micfly83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Spankster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

rednecks and maxxis tires

Im a redneck, and a dam good size one too. I run maxxis mudders on my toyota tacoma and they have been a pretty good tire. I am about to put them on my yj too. They have a much better highway rating. And lets face it, you are gonna use them on the highway too. They are about 450.00 plus tax around here in Mississippi installed and balanced. They are self cleaning tread and they are really loud on the pavement. But overall pretty good tires for us rednecks on a budget.
Unread 12-13-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check around for some slightly used tires. Two weeks ago I bought 4 BFG mudders with 90% tread remaining for $275.00 . Wheels were also included for this price. It pays to check the for sale sections on these bulletin boards.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor
Check around for some slightly used tires. Two weeks ago I bought 4 BFG mudders with 90% tread remaining for $275.00 . Wheels were also included for this price. It pays to check the for sale sections on these bulletin boards.
thats the route i went. Had originally planned on Kumho's, but found a decent deal. Not 275 mounted, but it was still a good deal since i needed wheels too. Was 4 tires mounted and balanced, and a 5th*(which I found a free AR for). After I sell my old wheels, I'll be around 200 for "new" tires, and the wheels were spotless.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.