Help me build a snow going jeep! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me build a snow going jeep!

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
cropscout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Help me build a snow going jeep!

Hello my name is Steve I have a 1995 wrangler that I have been using in my business for taking soil samples. It is set up to take samples and works great even in frozen ground. My problem is if the snow gets much over 10" with drifting I can't get around very well in the fields. It’s a stock wrangler with a 2.5 and auto. What parts can I add to go through the deep stuff at low speeds? I was thinking a lift and tall skinny tires and maybe locking differentials. I was even thinking about buying a Unimog, Volvo C303 or something like that but I really like my YJ for the job. I did look into tracks but at $24500.00 it’s to pricy for me. I would also be interested in a vendor or shop that I can buy everything from and maybe have it installed as one package deal. Right now I am snowed out of the fields here in WI and need to get some more work done! Thanks Steve

Last edited by cropscout; 12-11-2008 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: spelling
cropscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
rocknjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Throw some sand bags in the back for sure.
rocknjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Taller tires with chains will certainly help. If the snow is "catching" on your differentials and axles, then lifting everything above them will only help to allow taller tires.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
NewhampshireYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If i where you id get this....
http://roughcountry.com/jeep_yj_4.html
and these....
http://eastsidecustomtruck.com/i-125026-bogger.html
NewhampshireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

rough country lift, and some 33 interco tires

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think they're cheaper then tracks but GOCMS has kits for a go anywhere Jeep.
Unread 12-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
cropscout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. Is there a way to add locking diffs to the Jeep that I can lock and unlock as needed? I might get the lift ordered this week yet.
Unread 12-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Sharkbike
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There are all kinds of locking differentials with manual controls; cable type (Ox), pneumatic (ARB), internal mechanical (Aussie, etc.), electric (Ected, etc). If you've got the funds, you're going to have a blast picking and choosing. I'm jeaouls.
Sharkbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
smoke_20
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
I don't think they're cheaper then tracks but GOCMS has kits for a go anywhere Jeep.
Damn, those things are insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urb4nTr0ll View Post
I have 4 x 4 on my YJ, but I'm not sure what it is suppose to do or if it is even necessary.
I'm mainly a street driver.
Any advice is appreciated, thanks.:thumbsup:
smoke_20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
cropscout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't want to spend a pile on it but it is for work and I have work lined up that I could do if I can get the jeep through the snow. I can write it off as a business expense and go out and make some coin this winter. I did see alot of lockers when i did a search. It will need to drive to the farms but its not a daily driver just to a from the work. How do I find out which Diffs I have under my jeep. Its in a snow bank right now.
Unread 12-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropscout View Post
I don't want to spend a pile on it but it is for work and I have work lined up that I could do if I can get the jeep through the snow. I can write it off as a business expense and go out and make some coin this winter. I did see alot of lockers when i did a search. It will need to drive to the farms but its not a daily driver just to a from the work. How do I find out which Diffs I have under my jeep. Its in a snow bank right now.
Chances are very good that it is a D35 in the rear and a D30 up front.
Unread 12-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
cropscout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK maybe I am lazy but does anyone sell a package to do what I am looking for. I mean it looks pretty common for the Jeeps to get 1) a lift kit 2) bigger tires/rims and 3) locking diffs. I wish i could just call a trusted company and tell them what I want to do and have them recommend the parts and sell them to me at a fair price. Anyone out there I can trust to do this for me?
Unread 12-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
Godchsr
2001 WJ 

I know the Wisconsin weather is pretty crazy... lots of snow.

This seems like a relatively simple fix though...4" lift, 33" tires, Front and Rear Locker and a winch for security. Keep a couple hundred feet worth of tow strap in the back too. If most work is in fields I'd bet there may not be a tree for a couple hundred feet if something goes wrong.
Unread 12-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
Godchsr
2001 WJ 

Quote:
OK maybe I am lazy but does anyone sell a package to do what I am looking for. I mean it looks pretty common for the Jeeps to get 1) a lift kit 2) bigger tires/rims and 3) locking diffs. I wish i could just call a trusted company and tell them what I want to do and have them recommend the parts and sell them to me at a fair price. Anyone out there I can trust to do this for me?
Just order all the parts online and pay a local mechanic to install it for you.
Unread 12-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
www.4x4GroupBuy.com
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.