Help, jeep won't turn over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help, jeep won't turn over

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
tcarp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Help, jeep won't turn over

I have an 88 YJ 6 cyl with an mc carb, team rush, nuttered....
When I turn the key to start, nothing happens. The dash gauges are dead, and the motor does not turn over. The battery is tested as good and the starter is 1 year old. Does this sound like the ignition switch on top of the steering column? Any insight on getting my cruiser back on the road would be great!

Thanks in advance...

tcarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the ICM, under the windshield washer reservoir?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
tcarp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

No I have not -- Does this still come into play if it has been nuttered?
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Get your multi meter or test light out and see where the power stops. Start at the battery and work toward the starter using a wiring diagram as your map.
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your ignition switch to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
Sounds like your ignition switch to me...
I had a car that did this it took three months before i got the feel of the ignition i had to turn it just right with just the right amount of force i could crank it everytime the first time noone else could get it to start with the key except for me that ignition was worn out probably same thing wrong with yours try turning your key in the ignition you can try to rapidly turn the key in the ignition i did this with that car when i first got it it would bump the starter say 2 out of 50 key cycles i would have a blisters on my fingers by the time it would crank up if i didnt give up and just push it off
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
tcarp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be going through it with my test light tonight to pinpoint. I'll definitely be fixing the problem to avoid finger blistering....
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarp View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll be going through it with my test light tonight to pinpoint. I'll definitely be fixing the problem to avoid finger blistering....
No problen
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
tcarp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced the ignition switch......No luck..... Did not multi-meter due to my brother-in-law is on the extended borrow plan with mine. I tried jumping the starter with a screw driver and it sparked and spun, but did not engage the engine. Any ideas?
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Replaced the ignition switch......No luck..... Did not multi-meter due to my brother-in-law is on the extended borrow plan with mine. I tried jumping the starter with a screw driver and it sparked and spun, but did not engage the engine. Any ideas?
Ok does your model have all the sensors and pcm and stuff?
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just had this issue, even though I've swapped a 4.0 in my '89. My positive battery cable corroded to the point where the gauges worked, but when I'd try to crank, everything would cut out. Use your multimeter between your battery and the big terminal on the starter relay and see how many volts get through.

I bought marine terminals and #2 welding wire and hopefully will never have this problem again.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
tcarp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarp

Ok does your model have all the sensors and pcm and stuff?

No it does not have the sensors to my knowledge. The ECM is bypassed with the nutter.......
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
tcarp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What would cause the gauges to not be powered as well as no crank?
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Noreaster1967

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem with my 2.5l and it was the positive cable that goes to the large fuse box next to the battery. I had no gauges, lights, anything.
Noreaster1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
What would cause the gauges to not be powered as well as no crank?
Blown fuse, also you could have a short then the wire got moved or vibrated until it shorted out on something and fried the wiring or blew a fuse.. when my jeep died the gauges quit working and the vehicle had no power to the ignition system if i turned the key over the dash lights would come on the the abs and oil the only thing that didnt work was the gauges and cel would not come on try to crank it the engine would rotate but would not fire found a sensor with naked wires tapped it up good and replaced the fuse to the computer it blew and it fired off ran great it even solved the drivetrain issue it had for a year or so i know there is a difference in model year and electronics but this might help you diagnose what particular area to check.if it ties into the gauges and ignition system i would check it and trace it for any signs of damage or wear that could cause it to loss power to these certain problem areas good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.