Help Jeep wont start turns over but wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help Jeep wont start turns over but wont start

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
1990blackyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Help Jeep wont start turns over but wont start

it is getting fuel but no spark all plugs,plug wires,rotor and cap,and coil,are all new...and i traced the wires back from the coil to that weird plastic black thing above the driver side wheel well..and have no clue where to go from there....any ideas??????? this is my dd. and i need it to drive to work tomorrow

1990blackyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

are you fuel injected? help us out describe the weird black plastic thing. post picts of it.what did you trace back wires to and from or actual power was traced during this. you post is to vague. its like saying the check engine lights on ,so i opened the hood and the engine was still there so whys the light on.? help us help you
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
1990blackyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

im sorry i 4got to post my info...its a nutterd 4.2L ;with a webber carb the wierd black thing has a circuit board in it and a little plastic tube going into the cab
Unread 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

hmm
i'm going to look at the 88 in my shop.then try to find the elusive weird black thing. lol. turn your key on and check for power on the coil with a test light or multi meter.lets see what you find.!
Unread 01-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
rustybeater
1991 YJ Wrangler 

have you checked your fuses yet? do what 40 dog said and see how many volts are going into your coil.
rustybeater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i believe you have a electronic ignition control mod tucked in the bottom of the drivers fender . wasn't able to find a black plastic thingy with a circuit board in it or hose running to the engine..but you may be confusing some thing ,there is the window washer fluid stuff there and the coolant tank so there are wires and hoses. check power to coil first with key in run and start positions . Have you pulled a plug wire and checked for spark?
Unread 01-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is the plastic tube going into the cab the speedometer cable? If so you might be referring to the bulkhead connector. Its the only thing I know that is black and plastic on the drivers side. Why did you replace everything? Were you having this problem before you replaced everything?
stroker90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if it wasn't running before and you have replaced all the tune up items,Then only ignition item left to replace is the ignition control mod found bottom rear of drivers fender in side Eng compartment .Look for it then look deeper is should be down there.Square about 3"x3" 4-5 wires coming off it and a connector 2" from it.Change it to since your throwing parts at it.Then you will have a full tuneup of all the ignition.When they go bad sometimes its intermittent and some times they just die for good.
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
1990blackyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

im pretty sure the black thing has something to do with cruse control..the plastic tube has a cable running true it witch leads to the carb area..(not the cab sorry)
and no,everything has been replaced over a period of about a year and a half ago to just recently,no spark anywhere..and my buddy checked the wires for the coil with his multimeter and said it was only putting out about a 1/16 of what it should be,sorry dont know the exact amount off the top of my head,i was the one turning it over.But the yellow wire on the positive side of the coil, go into a big wiring hose witch goes into the cab where i cant see,and the black one on the negative side goes to the same place,BUT the blue one on the negative side goes to that black thing witch i think is for the cruse control, any idea where the black and yellow wire are suppose to go to in the cab?
i know what you are talking about,that little box that is under my washer fluid container?could that be the problem even if the wire going from the coil to the dist isint sparking?,although my jeep has been randomly shutting down while driving.. did it about 3 times in the past 2 days it was still running,i would just let it sit and it would fire up.....until now,
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
1990blackyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybeater View Post
have you checked your fuses yet? do what 40 dog said and see how many volts are going into your coil.
what fuses?
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #11
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

SLOWLY NOW WE WANT YOU TO CHECK FOR 12 VOLTS DC AT THE POSIYIVE TERMINAL OF THE COIL WITH THE KEY ON AND WHEN CRANKING.if you have extra weak spark that your buddy is seeing 1/16 of what it should be sounds like the coil is shot. FUSES LOOK UNDER THE DASH LEFT OF THE ROUND THING YOU STEER WITH "STEERING WHEEL". FORGET ABOUT CHECKING THE POWER AT THE PLUG WIRES WITH A METER WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT VOLTAGE IS GOING INTO THE COIL +POSITIVE TERMINAL . NO VOLTAGE NUMBERS NO HELP SORRY WE HAVE TO START AT 1ST STEP THEN MOOVE ON FROM THERE. THIS IS WHAT A SHOP WOULD DO TO DIAGNOS IT. POWER - FUEL- CRANK - START
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
jplks2play
2008 JK Wrangler 

hey bro i had the same problem. i changed everything. even the icm whitch is on the driver side wheel well under the radiator overflow. come to find out the choke was stuck. take off the carb air filter and see if you can push the flanges down. if you cant choke is stuck. just use a little force and push it down. I have the weber 38 on my 4.2.
jplks2play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
1990blackyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
SLOWLY NOW WE WANT YOU TO CHECK FOR 12 VOLTS DC AT THE POSIYIVE TERMINAL OF THE COIL WITH THE KEY ON AND WHEN CRANKING.if you have extra weak spark that your buddy is seeing 1/16 of what it should be sounds like the coil is shot. FUSES LOOK UNDER THE DASH LEFT OF THE ROUND THING YOU STEER WITH "STEERING WHEEL". FORGET ABOUT CHECKING THE POWER AT THE PLUG WIRES WITH A METER WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT VOLTAGE IS GOING INTO THE COIL +POSITIVE TERMINAL . NO VOLTAGE NUMBERS NO HELP SORRY WE HAVE TO START AT 1ST STEP THEN MOOVE ON FROM THERE. THIS IS WHAT A SHOP WOULD DO TO DIAGNOS IT. POWER - FUEL- CRANK - START
ok just took my wife out there.im reading 13.4 volts dc at the positive terminal on the coil when keyed up...and when 11.5 when cranking... yes i know where the fuses are....the only reason why i asked because the only fuse related i saw was ignition,and that was good
and i tried running the negative terminal to a ground and it still did int work...its a brand new coil
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
1990blackyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplks2play View Post
hey bro i had the same problem. i changed everything. even the icm whitch is on the driver side wheel well under the radiator overflow. come to find out the choke was stuck. take off the carb air filter and see if you can push the flanges down. if you cant choke is stuck. just use a little force and push it down. I have the weber 38 on my 4.2.
i had that problom with the carter that was on there..when it died that was the 1st thing i tried
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
1990blackyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplks2play View Post
i had that problem with the carter that was on there..when it died that was the 1st thing i tried

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.