Help! Jeep wont crank. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Jeep wont crank.

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 10-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
YJ-JoeyC
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Help! Jeep wont crank.

Hello, I have a 1993 Yj and I was driving a few weeks ago and it just cut off, when I tried to start it, nothing, not even a click. I changed the starter, and the ignition switch, still nothing. I also found a few wires that weren't connected, hopefully someone can help identify them.

YJ-JoeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
YJ-JoeyC
1993 YJ Wrangler 

these wires go straight back under the jeep and above the bell housing. hopefully someone could identify if they are related to my problem.
jeep.jpg

Unread 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The crank position sensor CPS is located drivers side bell housing 10 o'clock. That is the important sensor. There other wires on passenger side to trans and tcase not so important reverse lights, auto has neutral safety switch.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Those wires look similar to the fuel pump/sending unit wires... But there is no way your jeep was ever running if those are just loose... The crank position sensor wire isn't really attached to any other wires so I would be surprised if it was included in that bundle.... Where do they end at when you follow them under the heep?

Do you have any power at all? (headlights? dash lights, check engine light when you turn they key forward?)

The most likely cause to no response when you turn they key forward is to clean the battery terminals, the battery connectors at the terminals, and the ground to the engine block. Sounds simple, the ground to the starter is the most common culperate.

The terminals on your battery may be bad as well, swap in one from another car for a moment to eliminate the battery.

Alas, grounds do not explain the cut-out while driving. I would follow those wires, report back to where they lead? If they were cut? Simply unplugged?
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
YJ-JoeyC
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have power, Radio, interior and exterior lights, all work, but when I put the key in, only the "Brake" light comes on the dash for the few seconds like always, no check engine or anything else. (its a Manuel Tranny just so you guys know) also I tried jumping the starter, but It wouldn't fire up (no spark). ill report more on those wires when I figure out where they go.

Last edited by YJ-JoeyC; 10-11-2013 at 04:53 PM..
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
YJ-JoeyC
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I traced the wires and they go back to above the fuel tank, it appears they belong to the fuel pump. they are connected back there, but up towards the engine (in the picture) they are open. the two wires are a solid black (ground) and a black wire with orange, Im guessing that's power, so where would these wires be hooked up to? I don't see anything that looks like something disconnected from it in the engine bay.
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ-JoeyC View Post
Ok so I traced the wires and they go back to above the fuel tank, it appears they belong to the fuel pump. they are connected back there, but up towards the engine (in the picture) they are open. the two wires are a solid black (ground) and a black wire with orange, Im guessing that's power, so where would these wires be hooked up to? I don't see anything that looks like something disconnected from it in the engine bay.
I apologize, I saw the three wires but I did not see the two darker wires that are cut next to them.

Not exactly sure, based on the picture alone, where those go. The bigger concern here is that you are not seeing a check engine light when you initially turn the key forward. Either your check engine light bulb is out, the wires to the light are messed up, or you have an issue with your computer...

Hopefully someone will chime in here in a minute so we can figure out what would cause a sudden cuttout while at the same time disable the starter.

This still may be as simple as the main ground to the block needing to be cleaned up. Start by really cleaning up/scraping your battery terminals and inside the battery terminal connectors. Also, remove the ground from the passenger side block and scrape/clean.

Verify the wires comming off of your distributor at the base of the cap (not the plug wires, but the copper wires near the base of the cap) are in-tact. This is your CPS/Cam Sensor/Stator/Distributor Pickup.
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
YJ-JoeyC
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
This still doesn't solve why the engine will not crank. But you certainly need to have your fuel pump wires hooked up for the jeep to run. If these wires were severed, it would explain the cutout during driving.

Those wires end at a plug on the passenger side of the engine compartment, near the battery (well beneith the battery on mine)... If I remember correctly there is a plug connection here.

Are the wires cut? burned? Is there a plug at the engine-end of the wires? Is your jeep using the stock in-tank fuel pump to your knowledge?
This is what the wires look like, not cut or burned, they are twisted on the ends, like they were hooked into something.
jeep2.jpg

Unread 10-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The problem with that is a disconnected Fuel pump wouldn't stop the Jeep from cranking. It's a separate system. I think you should check your fuses first. The Dome fuse under the dash could be it. The Ignition switch also. BUT I don't see why those would cause the Jeep to shut off in the first place. I would also check your engine grounds and Starter ground. Make sure they are clean.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I updated my post, I apologize, I thought the wires in question were among the 3 going to the tank, which they obviously arn't. Couldn't see the pic in detail on my phone screen lol.
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
YJ-JoeyC
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
I updated my post, I apologize, I thought the wires in question were among the 3 going to the tank, which they obviously arn't. Couldn't see the pic in detail on my phone screen lol.
yeah no problem I appreciate any help I can get, and ill get back to you when I finish cleaning the grounds and checking the distrib wires.
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is what the wires look like, not cut or burned, they are twisted on the ends, like they were hooked into something.
Is that an all black wire? And if so do you have a ground wire directly wired into the starter? That's the only solo black wire near the oil filter that I can think of.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
elpaso-xj

Have you checked your relays?
elpaso-xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
YJ-JoeyC
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper View Post
Is that an all black wire? And if so do you have a ground wire directly wired into the starter? That's the only solo black wire near the oil filter that I can think of.
One wire is all black and other is black and orange. But both go to the fuel pump.
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
One wire is all black and other is black and orange. But both go to the fuel pump.
Are you sure? If I remember correctly you should only have like 3 wires going to the fuel tank... Those 3 looked in-tact.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.