Help jeep is possessed. electrical failure? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help jeep is possessed. electrical failure?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
btn2020
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Help jeep is possessed. electrical failure?

So the pretty stock 89 nuttered I6 has started to act up. A few days ago i would be driving and the radio would flicker off then right back on. It has retained its memory all but once when it did this. At first i thought it was getting wet because it started on rainy days and when i first accelerated. But couple days later it would do it randomly driving down the road. And today the radio would cut off, the blinkers would flash and the wipers would come on for more than one cycle. No set number of times each time. Turning the wiper switch on then back off did not stop it. I am not sure exactly what could cause this. My first guess is a faulty ground? Am I right to assume this and where to look?

1989 red stock yj 30in tires
btn2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
yjcrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would definetly check the grounds first, if thats not it maybe some loose wiring?
Unread 11-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am going to go with, yeah...you need an exorcist

But if you want to be practical - yeah check your grounds. I had a similar issue (not nearly as intense) but my stereo would go on and off and occasionally the head lights would cut out.

It was a rusted out ground somewhere under my dash. routed it to a nice ground terminal I set up for such purposes and its now a happy wire
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
btn2020
1989 YJ Wrangler 

checkd the grounds the ones i know of at least any other ideas?

1989 red stock yj 30in tires
btn2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

is the connectionto your radio and everything good and tight?
add dielectric grease
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
Machine15825
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Usually a faulty ground wouldn't make your wipers come on but rather not work intermittently... but I've seen bad grounds do some crazy ****... I would drop the dash and thoroughly check all wires for bare insulation, melted, etc.... but first check/ recheck all grounds. loosen all grounding terminations clean them and re-tighten. Go from there.
Machine15825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
Bgut
2009 JK Wrangler 

I would also bend a wire and see if the insulation is cracking. If so you may have to replace some wires.
Bgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #8
Machine15825
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can buy a complete wiring kit for anything from EZ wire for 120 bucks... I rewired my camaro and it was cake.... Time consuming but stupid simple.... Point to ponder if times get too tough... It'd be a great time to upgrade to an HEI dizzy and dump the computer completely since its already nuttered...
Machine15825 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.