Help! Jeep just shuts off when driving. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Jeep just shuts off when driving.

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 09-17-2004, 02:41 AM   #1
Crymsun

Help! Jeep just shuts off when driving.

Yesterday, I was in the turn lane on a busy street. I go to turn and all of the sudden my jeep dies. Luckily, I coasted to the side of the street I was turning on. Then again today, I was going in a parking lot and went down in this little ditch between it and a backstreet and it died again... (Although, I did almost coast to the parking spot)...

Not sure what is wrong, it has never died on me when driving. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zach

Crymsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2004, 02:57 AM   #2
GoGo
2012 JK Wrangler 

Does it just die, or is it sputtering/stalling and then dying? If it is just dying I would suspect an electrical problem, ie; a short in a wire somewhere possibly in the ignition system.

I had a vehicle that would do that years ago, and it drove me nut's looking for the problem, I finally found a small nick on the insulation of one of the wires going to the coil, that was grounding out on the firewall. I guess if I hit a bump just right, the wire would flex, ground out and the car would die.

I did have a stalling issue with my Jeep recently that may help, it would stall/sputter/loose power when making left turns. It wouldn't do it all the time, and was difficult to reproduce at will. It ended up being the fuel pump.

If you get a chance post more about the symptoms, and what year/engine your Jeep is (this may help others diagnose your problem). In the meantime hope this helps

Poseur Jeep Club Member # 1

I'd feel safer hunting with Cheney than, going for a drive with Ted Kennedy.
GoGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2004, 08:36 AM   #3
tkbriney

I am having the same problem with my 89 yj. It runs great but shuts off while driving or just idling. After it shuts off i usually have to wait about 5 to 10 minutes and it starts right up again. It doesn't matter if i am on level ground on an incline or decline or turning it just shuts of. I thought I might have gotten some bad gas so I filled up and added some fuel treatment but that hasn't worked either. If you find out what the problem is drop me a line.
Unread 09-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
denfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo
Does it just die, or is it sputtering/stalling and then dying? If it is just dying I would suspect an electrical problem, ie; a short in a wire somewhere possibly in the ignition system.

I had a vehicle that would do that years ago, and it drove me nut's looking for the problem, I finally found a small nick on the insulation of one of the wires going to the coil, that was grounding out on the firewall. I guess if I hit a bump just right, the wire would flex, ground out and the car would die.

I did have a stalling issue with my Jeep recently that may help, it would stall/sputter/loose power when making left turns. It wouldn't do it all the time, and was difficult to reproduce at will. It ended up being the fuel pump.

If you get a chance post more about the symptoms, and what year/engine your Jeep is (this may help others diagnose your problem). In the meantime hope this helps
I had the same problems on my 88 and 93 cherokees. It is a crank case sensor cable located behind engine along firewall down towards tranny. It usually dies or gets heated along engine causing a short. When installing, be sure to secure it against firewall so it wont touch hot engine.
denfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2004, 01:14 PM   #5
denfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymsun
Yesterday, I was in the turn lane on a busy street. I go to turn and all of the sudden my jeep dies. Luckily, I coasted to the side of the street I was turning on. Then again today, I was going in a parking lot and went down in this little ditch between it and a backstreet and it died again... (Although, I did almost coast to the parking spot)...

Not sure what is wrong, it has never died on me when driving. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zach
Its more than likely the crank sensor cable. My 88 and 93 had the same problem. It is located behind the engine down towards the tranny. It either went bad or it is touching the hot engine causing it to ground out. Either way, replace it but its not cheap. The sensor costs over a hundred bucks.
denfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.