Help Installing Windshield Bracket Lights!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help Installing Windshield Bracket Lights!!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 08-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
bamaboy2006

Help Installing Windshield Bracket Lights!!

Hello,

I am trying to install a set of lights mounted to the new windshield light brackets I just installed and I can not figure out where to run the wiring for the lights. If any one has done this please tell me where you ran your wires. I do not want to have to drill any holes but it looks like that is the only way. Please help before I do something stupid.

bamaboy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Go from the light nnder the wiper cowl. Thats how i did my TJ You do have to remove the cowl to do this. You may also have to notch the cowl so you dont crush the wire. The notch is not seen once it's put back together. Under the cowl on the TJ there is a gromet where the wiper motor wires run into the Jeep. Thats where i brought my wires in also. Hope this helps.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine are under the windshield cowl as well... they run into the jeep but go under the speaker panel and behind the dash where the switch is mounted....

KCCO no matter what life throws your way!
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep95xj View Post
Go from the light nnder the wiper cowl. Thats how i did my TJ You do have to remove the cowl to do this. You may also have to notch the cowl so you dont crush the wire. The notch is not seen once it's put back together. Under the cowl on the TJ there is a gromet where the wiper motor wires run into the Jeep. Thats where i brought my wires in also. Hope this helps.
the YJs dont have a removable panel like the TJ does. You have to fold the windshield down and run the wires under the cowl seal and you can run them over and through the hole that the whiper motor uses to run its wiring through the dash - no drilling required.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just like TRW said. Fold the windshield down and run the wires under the cowl seal. I was planning on geting some windshield hinge lights but I have a snorkel that mounts there now and am not sure if it wil fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
bamaboy2006

I was afraid you were going to say that I would need to lower my windshield. The previous owner striped out the three screws that conect the windshield support to the windshield. What woud be the best way to remove these striped out screws?
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same issue, the torx were stripped out on my windshield. I just said F*k it and drilled the windshield pillar, and then put grommets into the holes. Havent had any water leakage so far.
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."

Last edited by Dwatts5250; 08-20-2009 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: addint more info
Dwatts5250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

They also sell a screw extractor kit at the hardware store...home depot $8.99, ACE $12.98, and Kmart had it too
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
richkcmo

thanks for the info.
richkcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Luckily you really only need to gte the bottom one on each side out to drop the windshield. But, geting them all out and replacing them woulden't be a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
bamaboy2006

Where did you get the grommets that you used?
Unread 08-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
bamaboy2006

Where is a good place to get a relay for my lights?
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #13
94YJTech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2006 View Post
Where is a good place to get a relay for my lights?
I just bought the KC driving lights they come complete with a wiring harness and relay, I put the relay on my frame....what type of lights did you buy?
94YJTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #14
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2006 View Post
Where did you get the grommets that you used?
Grommets were in the Light wiring, and tv cable section of Home Depot. Buchanan makes them. they never show them on the damn HD website either. They have them where they have the wire connector end cap twistie things. (god i sound like my wife...twistie things??)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.