Help With Install Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help With Install Please

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 04-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Bowlergt
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Help With Install Please

Im trying to put on a new rear bumper on my 95 sahara and I'm running into two issues. First I can not find a way to reach the inside nuts on the insides 2 bolts on the bumperettes, there is a hitch also on there im trying to take off which has two bolts with nuts also on the back that I can not get to. Any ideas? I was thinking of taking the fuel tank guard off but on the back there seems to be two bolts that are at an angle and run right into the hitch Help please

Bowlergt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The gas tank is held in by the skid so you can't remove just the skid without removing the tank also. Your best bet is going to be to remove the gas tank which isn't fun but will make your install much easier.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Bowlergt
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good news got the them off, bad news is there is no way in the world I can reach in there to tighten the new ones on the inside holes just the 4 outside ones
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

how are the bolt configurations setup? do you have no way to get enough space to mount it? That sounds like a design problem more than anything.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
joshbaker92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No he is talking about the bolts on the inside of the frame. They are pita but they are doable.
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Bowlergt
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yea its the ones on the inside of the frame, I'll just wait till i can drop the tank and get those. I am just not having any luck with this jeep yet I just went to put on my new exhaust from dynomax since they are running an awsome deal $135 from summit with a $75 rebate well the pipe over the rear axle drops to much so the tip is too low I'm going to have to cut and reweld it.
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well i know those bolts are a huge PITA but i managed to get them out and back in without dropping the tank. it costed me more time then it should of, some very cramped hands/arms, a little skin, and just a touch of blood but i did it. it would have prob been easier to just drop the tank but im stubborn

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Bowlergt
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I can reach in there but its the fact of getting something else in there to tighten the bolts down lol
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
bigbri55
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I jst did this myself 2 days ago. I built new bumpers, so i used a breakover bar with a socket on it. If you run it between the spring and the skid plate you can see the socket end from between the crossmember and body. I then just had to feel my way around until i hit the bolt. Also put the nut in the socket first. on the passenger side, I was able to hold the nut in between pointer and middle finger tips and was able to reach the bolt, and i have big hands so it wasn't too hard. Then use the break over bar again to tighten.
bigbri55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #10
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout189 View Post
well i know those bolts are a huge PITA but i managed to get them out and back in without dropping the tank. it costed me more time then it should of, some very cramped hands/arms, a little skin, and just a touch of blood but i did it. it would have prob been easier to just drop the tank but im stubborn
Same here it was tough but I was able to get them tightened
ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #11
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I just pulled my bumperttes off the other day. They were sandwiched in between the crossmember and a trailer hitch.

I used a 3/8 ratchet and a deep socket to hold them from the inside. You can get at them, you just have to feel for them.
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
Dewster196
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlergt View Post
Yea its the ones on the inside of the frame, I'll just wait till i can drop the tank and get those. I am just not having any luck with this jeep yet I just went to put on my new exhaust from dynomax since they are running an awsome deal $135 from summit with a $75 rebate well the pipe over the rear axle drops to much so the tip is too low I'm going to have to cut and reweld it.
Are you talking about not being able to rotate the tailpipe into place? if so just jack the rear end up and you can get the tailpipe on.
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #13
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout189 View Post
It's been a few years, but that sounds just like what I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
justpicaname
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just droped my gas tank, to fix the frame. It's not that bad, I just loosened the exhaust to get the room I needed.
justpicaname is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.