HELP - ignition switch removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP - ignition switch removal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

HELP - ignition switch removal

Can someone tell me how i get to the ignition switch on my yj. I have the chilton's, but it on says that the switch is located on the steering column. It says put the key into the off-lock position, unplug the electrical connector, remove bolts and detach switch.

Has anyone done this before...Do I need to remove the steering wheel, etc.?

The manual is very vague, or I'm just missing something. Where's that freakin' switch. The autoparts store closes in 90 minutes, and tomorrow it's closed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Valerie

blamejane2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yes, the steering wheel has to be removed, along with the turn signal assembly and cap, careful though, theres a small circulat retaining clip holding the cap assembly in place, it pops off kinda violently, after you take all that stuff off (turn signal assembly pulled to the side) theres a bolt there that you have to remove to slide the key cylinder off, i dont remember but, i think the key has to be on the run position to slide out
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks ghost, that certainly helps.

I'm guessing the chilton's manual assumes I'm following some path of steering wheel/column work, cuz as I look backwards through the pages it kind of "flows" that way. Anyway, I've gotta pickup a steering wheel puller as I can't get mine off.
Unread 04-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

IIRC there is a locking plate under there as well. I beleive I rented the tool at Advanced Auto for that. Someone else can chime in confirm/deny that.
Unread 04-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The book is referring to the ignition switch apparently you mean the ignition lock cylinder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blamejane2 View Post
Can someone tell me how i get to the ignition switch on my yj. I have the chilton's, but it on says that the switch is located on the steering column. It says put the key into the off-lock position, unplug the electrical connector, remove bolts and detach switch.

Has anyone done this before...Do I need to remove the steering wheel, etc.?

The manual is very vague, or I'm just missing something. Where's that freakin' switch. The autoparts store closes in 90 minutes, and tomorrow it's closed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Valerie
Unread 04-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

blue1989YJ: I was just reading about that locking plate, so thanks for mentioning it. I found a small auto parts store open tomorrow, and they will loan the steering wheel puller and hopefully the "special tool" for removing the locking plate. I really hope I can get this done in 1 day as I REALLY want to drive my jeep Monday morning!

Pat: I need to replace the ignition switch as I believe it's the cause of my heater/air cond and radio not working. The fuse for the heater keeps blowing, just as I start the jeep. I get nothing from the radio and the corresponding fuse is fine. Before replacing the ignition switch I'm going to test the continuity, just to be sure I've located the problem. I've read through the manual and it looks like I'll be removing the steering wheel, the turn signal/hazard switches, and the ignition lock cylinder, before I can actually test the ignition switch.
Unread 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Whoa!

A little confusion here...

If you are replacing the ignition switch and not the ignition key cylinder then you do NOT need to pull the steering wheel, lock plate, etc.
The actual ignition switch mechanism is mounted to the steering collumn under the dash. It's connect to the ignition key cylinder with a steel rod.
When you turn the key is moves the steel rod that runs along the top of the steering collumn down to actual the switch mounted to the steering collumn under the dash.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Two different things here.

What is the issue that is leading you to belive the switch is bad????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Whoa is right. Oh man, thanks rusty and kloppk. Well, I stuck my head under the dash earlier and didn't see anything that looked like the switch, but I'll check again.

rusty: Regarding the possible bad switch is the following thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/heater-fuse-keeps-blowing-550819/

where I describe the problem I'm having with continual blown heater fuse:
Quote:
I just replaced the blown fuse for my heater. With a new fuse in place I tried the heater, and again nothing...sure enough I've blown another fuse. After installing another fuse I started the jeep and then stopped it (without turning on the heater). I checked and the fuse was blown again, just by starting the jeep.

Does anyone have an ideas where/what I should look at?
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Basically I wanted to test the continuity of my ignition switch to track down the blown fuse problem. I was trying to figure out how to do this with my chilton's, which was a bit vague on "where" this freakin' part was. I'm sure it's my fault for being a total noob.
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The best way to get at the switch is to take the two bolts out that hold the column to the dash and let the steering wheel rest on the seat and it makes access to the switch easy.
Quote:
Basically I wanted to test the continuity of my ignition switch to track down the blown fuse problem. I was trying to figure out how to do this with my chilton's, which was a bit vague on "where" this freakin' part was. I'm sure it's my fault for being a total noob.
Unread 04-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks so much Pat. If it turns out my switch is bad, then will I have to remove the key cylinder (via steering wheel, etc) in order to replace the ignition switch?
Unread 04-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #13
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No you won't it will just lift off the wire that actuates it from the key.
Once you get it to where you can see the switch it will be obvious how it comes off.
Quote:
Thanks so much Pat. If it turns out my switch is bad, then will I have to remove the key cylinder (via steering wheel, etc) in order to replace the ignition switch?
Unread 04-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Pat. You mention...

Quote:
The best way to get at the switch is to take the two bolts out that hold the column to the dash and let the steering wheel rest on the seat and it makes access to the switch easy.
Are these the bolts you're talking about:
Unread 04-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yup that's them.
Quote:
Thanks Pat. You mention...

Are these the bolts you're talking about:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.