JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   HELP - ignition switch removal (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/help-ignition-switch-removal-551077/)

blamejane2 04-26-2008 03:30 PM

HELP - ignition switch removal

Can someone tell me how i get to the ignition switch on my yj. I have the chilton's, but it on says that the switch is located on the steering column. It says put the key into the off-lock position, unplug the electrical connector, remove bolts and detach switch.

Has anyone done this before...Do I need to remove the steering wheel, etc.?

The manual is very vague, or I'm just missing something. Where's that freakin' switch. The autoparts store closes in 90 minutes, and tomorrow it's closed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Valerie

ghost183 04-26-2008 03:52 PM

yes, the steering wheel has to be removed, along with the turn signal assembly and cap, careful though, theres a small circulat retaining clip holding the cap assembly in place, it pops off kinda violently, after you take all that stuff off (turn signal assembly pulled to the side) theres a bolt there that you have to remove to slide the key cylinder off, i dont remember but, i think the key has to be on the run position to slide out

blamejane2 04-26-2008 04:00 PM

Thanks ghost, that certainly helps.

I'm guessing the chilton's manual assumes I'm following some path of steering wheel/column work, cuz as I look backwards through the pages it kind of "flows" that way. Anyway, I've gotta pickup a steering wheel puller as I can't get mine off.

blue1989yj 04-26-2008 04:37 PM

IIRC there is a locking plate under there as well. I beleive I rented the tool at Advanced Auto for that. Someone else can chime in confirm/deny that.

pat8942 04-26-2008 05:14 PM

The book is referring to the ignition switch apparently you mean the ignition lock cylinder.
Quote:

Originally Posted by blamejane2 (Post 5140657)
Can someone tell me how i get to the ignition switch on my yj. I have the chilton's, but it on says that the switch is located on the steering column. It says put the key into the off-lock position, unplug the electrical connector, remove bolts and detach switch.

Has anyone done this before...Do I need to remove the steering wheel, etc.?

The manual is very vague, or I'm just missing something. Where's that freakin' switch. The autoparts store closes in 90 minutes, and tomorrow it's closed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Valerie

blamejane2 04-26-2008 06:40 PM

blue1989YJ: I was just reading about that locking plate, so thanks for mentioning it. I found a small auto parts store open tomorrow, and they will loan the steering wheel puller and hopefully the "special tool" for removing the locking plate. I really hope I can get this done in 1 day as I REALLY want to drive my jeep Monday morning!

Pat: I need to replace the ignition switch as I believe it's the cause of my heater/air cond and radio not working. The fuse for the heater keeps blowing, just as I start the jeep. I get nothing from the radio and the corresponding fuse is fine. Before replacing the ignition switch I'm going to test the continuity, just to be sure I've located the problem. I've read through the manual and it looks like I'll be removing the steering wheel, the turn signal/hazard switches, and the ignition lock cylinder, before I can actually test the ignition switch.

kloppk 04-26-2008 07:19 PM

Whoa!

A little confusion here...

If you are replacing the ignition switch and not the ignition key cylinder then you do NOT need to pull the steering wheel, lock plate, etc.
The actual ignition switch mechanism is mounted to the steering collumn under the dash. It's connect to the ignition key cylinder with a steel rod.
When you turn the key is moves the steel rod that runs along the top of the steering collumn down to actual the switch mounted to the steering collumn under the dash.

rustywrangler 04-26-2008 07:22 PM

:agree: Two different things here.

What is the issue that is leading you to belive the switch is bad????

blamejane2 04-26-2008 08:25 PM

Whoa is right. Oh man, thanks rusty and kloppk. Well, I stuck my head under the dash earlier and didn't see anything that looked like the switch, but I'll check again.

rusty: Regarding the possible bad switch is the following thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/heater-fuse-keeps-blowing-550819/

where I describe the problem I'm having with continual blown heater fuse:
Quote:

I just replaced the blown fuse for my heater. With a new fuse in place I tried the heater, and again nothing...sure enough I've blown another fuse. After installing another fuse I started the jeep and then stopped it (without turning on the heater). I checked and the fuse was blown again, just by starting the jeep.

Does anyone have an ideas where/what I should look at?

blamejane2 04-26-2008 08:36 PM

Basically I wanted to test the continuity of my ignition switch to track down the blown fuse problem. I was trying to figure out how to do this with my chilton's, which was a bit vague on "where" this freakin' part was. I'm sure it's my fault for being a total noob.

pat8942 04-26-2008 08:40 PM

The best way to get at the switch is to take the two bolts out that hold the column to the dash and let the steering wheel rest on the seat and it makes access to the switch easy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by blamejane2 (Post 5141756)
Basically I wanted to test the continuity of my ignition switch to track down the blown fuse problem. I was trying to figure out how to do this with my chilton's, which was a bit vague on "where" this freakin' part was. I'm sure it's my fault for being a total noob.

blamejane2 04-26-2008 09:01 PM

Thanks so much Pat. If it turns out my switch is bad, then will I have to remove the key cylinder (via steering wheel, etc) in order to replace the ignition switch?

pat8942 04-26-2008 09:14 PM

No you won't it will just lift off the wire that actuates it from the key.
Once you get it to where you can see the switch it will be obvious how it comes off.
Quote:

Originally Posted by blamejane2 (Post 5141844)
Thanks so much Pat. If it turns out my switch is bad, then will I have to remove the key cylinder (via steering wheel, etc) in order to replace the ignition switch?

blamejane2 04-26-2008 09:26 PM

Thanks Pat. You mention...

Quote:

The best way to get at the switch is to take the two bolts out that hold the column to the dash and let the steering wheel rest on the seat and it makes access to the switch easy.
Are these the bolts you're talking about:
http://www.imontana.net/jeep/steering-column-bolts.jpg

pat8942 04-26-2008 09:30 PM

Yup that's them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by blamejane2 (Post 5141938)
Thanks Pat. You mention...

Are these the bolts you're talking about:
http://www.imontana.net/jeep/steering-column-bolts.jpg

The time now is 08:16 PM.