Help identifying roof rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help identifying roof rack

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3905323085.html

I'm looking for one but I don't want a home brewed hack job. This one looks solid but I have no idea what brand it is to get more specs on it. The guy said he bought it used and got it coated.

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like one I had on my YJ. It ended up rusting from inside (I live at the beach and it carried my surfboard). The basket is an add on, not part of the original. My main concern is the rear attachment. It originally came with a heavy duty behind the taillight bracket. It looks like this one has been adapted to his tire swing out. I would make sure he has the rear brackets.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can't identify it either, aside from eliminating Kargo Master, as that's what I have. Around here used ones are rare and the rack and basket complete would bring $400-500, not sure how your area would compare tho.
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah racks around here are pretty expensive. If you can find them. I found a Dave's Olympic rack for half off brand new in box but I didn't have the extra cash at the time. Kicking myself now for not getting it.

I just asked him and he said it had brackets that bolts it to the back of the tub. You guys think what he's asking is right for a rack that doesn't have a brand?
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not a bad price, it's been so long ago I don't know what I paid for mine, but the basket itself would add to the value. Check it out for rust where the tubes fit together at the back and where the rods connect to the tabs front and back on top. It is a pretty strong rack, bigger tubing than some of the square racks i've seen.
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the brand. This is a newer model than I had as mine did not fold back as this one does. At least this will give you an idea of cost new. You can also see the rear brackets under the "installation" tab.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior-...FUVyQgodEDsARw
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As long as it's in decent shape (which it probably is if he spent the money to have it powder coated recently) I'd pay his full price if I had too, but I'd offer $250 and hope to split the difference. I use my rack a lot more than I thought I would, this time of the year it's a great spot to store the tin boat both for shade and lake ready at short notice.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, it's an Olympic as others stated. I have the same one on my YJ. Definitely worth the 350.00 since it includes the basket. The original rack included (2) L-shaped brackets that mount behind the rear taillights (I don't see them on the rear passenger side-he has that side bolted into the tire carrier). You'll need to fab up a set if he doesn't have them.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. Don't know if I'm going to get it though. Either way ill let him know what kinda rack it is.
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If that rack was local I would buy it today. I don't think you will go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.