Help ID this lift (or lack thereof - lots of pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help ID this lift (or lack thereof - lots of pics)

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 03-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
NateWithoutBeer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Help ID this lift (or lack thereof - lots of pics)

Starting to get into doing some suspension maintenance/upgrades on my Jeep. I'm a novice, so bear with me...

93 YJ, 31x10.5 tires. There seems to be plenty of tire clearance so I would think there's some kind of lift going on here. It sags pretty badly in the rear drivers side due to a cracked leaf (see pic). Getting ready to replace all 4 leaves but not sure which way to go. Most replacements are 5 leaves, but the ones on here are 4. I'm thinking that maybe it's got one of those 1.5" or 2" leaf lifts going on? Also not sure if the shackles and u-bolts are factory or not (like I said, a novice).

Not sure if I need to install standard "replacement" springs (like these)or some lift-type springs (such as these). Not looking to lift it any more, just pick up the butt and stiffen up the ride a bit. I'd really appreciate any help you guys could offer.

Front driver's side

About 13 3/4" to bottom of front driver shackle

About 14" to bottom of front passenger shackle

Front passenger side

Rear driver's side about 15 1/4" to bottom of shackle

Rear driver's side

Rear driver's side again, note the busted bottom leaf

Rear passenger side

Rear passenger side again

Rear passenger side, almost 16" to bottom of shackle

NateWithoutBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Ingle47
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You springs look to be stock but your front have lift shackles on the front shackles sould look like the rear ones you have on there

On subject of what springs to get thats really your choice if you want a lift I would get a matching set of shackles when you get new springs

Im not to much help maybe someone else will know what you have or see something I missed

EDIT: Went outside and looked at an old set of RC 2.5'' lift springs and they are only 4 leafs in the pack so that could be an option And I also see in you pic your front track bar has been rased
[COLOR="Black"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"]'05 Black WK Limited 4.7 /2" Daystar Poly/ rooftop tent/ cobra 29 ltb classic/ 265-75-17 Dynapro MTs/ Procomp 7" driving lights/ Saguaro switch panel/ 1.5" ws/ SuperChip/ [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="Blue"]'99 Blue WJ 4.7 / Stock[/COLOR]

[COLOR="White"]'89 YJ 4.2 /SOA/ 35-12.50-15 Tsl/ Cobra 29 LTB Classic/ XRC8/ Tube Fenders/ Side Armor/ 8.8" rear/ 1.25 WS/ [/COLOR]

Last edited by Ingle47; 03-29-2010 at 04:34 PM..
Ingle47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
_JEEP_
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First problem is that your rear drivers side spring pack is missing a leaf. Other then that looks stock with shackles.
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Blazin Den
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like lift shackles on the front and just like Jeep said the one spring pack is missing a leaf.
95 White YJ 2.5L/AX-5 Stock on 31s. Ground Pounder Fab (BESRK) Front Bumper, Herculined Interior, Windshield/Front Bumper Mounted Lights, Uniden PRO 520XL Cb,Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Bestop Supertop, Modified CJ7 Hardtop and CJ7 Twist Handle Full Doors (winter)
Blazin Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thats not a stock shackle and it looks as if its rigged up some weird way.... Its supposed to be a bolt on the top in that hole a few inches back not welded to the frame(i think).... I suggest new springs with the extra leaf and new boom shackles/or just new shackles(with minor lift) and run some 31s or 32s hope I helped ya brother

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
wrangler76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bump stops and front trackbar relocation look like they're similar to what's provided with an aftermarket kit.... They're similar to the ones that came with a superlift 3.5" lift that I bought in '95 except the trackbar reloaction bracket was also tied to the bumpstop with a support bar. If you're going to run 31's I would consider the Rancho 2.5 kit or OME 1.5" kit always seemed to have a nice fit and finish.
wrangler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
wrangler76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's also a nice big drop pitman arm.... usually seen on 3-4" SUA kit lifts.
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Kamikaze
1988 YJ Wrangler 

it look like the bottom leaf on one of your rear spring pack is brokem completely off at the mount. this couls explain the droop. also it look like you have a 2.5 in lift on there. the original springs are almost flat while yours have a nice curve to it. from the look of things, i say go get yourself a nice 4in lift of your choosing and put it in.

Have fun wheeling.
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
wrangler76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Trackbar drop links are also aftermerket for a larger 3-4" SUA kit lift.... You could just buy spring packs from the manufacturer/height that you choose and redrill the from shackles to the stock 4" length and outfit yourself with some nice new shocks. That would get you a nice riding YJ.....
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That looks a lot like a rough country lift kit probably was a 4", its got lift shackles up front and stock ones in back so thats probably why the front sits higher. If it were mine I'd replace the springs with some BDS 3.5 springs and get some matching shackles all the way around, either find a pair of stockers to go up front or get some new 5/8" lift shackles all the way around.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTripper View Post

thats not a stock shackle and it looks as if its rigged up some weird way.... Its supposed to be a bolt on the top in that hole a few inches back not welded to the frame(i think).... I suggest new springs with the extra leaf and new boom shackles/or just new shackles(with minor lift) and run some 31s or 32s hope I helped ya brother
If you look more carefully, you'll see that's a pic of the front axle as VIEWED FROM THE REAR.... that "funny looking shackle" is not a shackle, but the rear mount.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
NateWithoutBeer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

AWESOME RESPONSES. Thanks a ton, gentlemen. After being pointed in the right direction and reading through install instructions for some of the 3.5" kits I see now that the transfer case has been dropped, too.

I'm going to throw in new Superlift 3.5" springs, new shocks, and new 1" shackles all around, as suggested. Thanks again.

Last edited by NateWithoutBeer; 03-29-2010 at 10:30 PM..
NateWithoutBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #13
wrangler76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Glad we could help you out... I was very happy with my 3.5" superlift springs and was clearing 33's with stock length 4" shackles for years. I did take off about 1" of sheetmetal/fenderflare from the rear wheel well. Good luck with your project!
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

LOL! If those are stock springs, maybe I should upgrade. Mine have a negative curve to them.
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Those look to be 2.5" springs with 2" lift shackles on the front. Why its all mix-n-match, I don't know. I would suggest a full lift kit upgrade.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.