Help, I can't figure this out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help, I can't figure this out

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 12-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
puddlejumpinzx

Help, I can't figure this out

When I put the jeep in 4wd, it leaks trans fluid. Only when in 4wd. Its an ax-5. which seal is it that I need to look at getting and which trans fluid. Part numbers are appreciated as well. Thanks

puddlejumpinzx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
johnny27030
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Im confused? Do you have an automatic? Manual? Are you sure its the transmission leaking? Could it be the transfer case? In 4wd your output shaft to the front diff would be spinning, and thats the only thing that makes any sense to me?

And help us help you, fill out your information on your profile. We have no idea what you are working with.
johnny27030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if it's tranny fluid, in 4wd, sounds like front drive shaft transfer case seal would be first place I'd look....get a flashlight and take a peak
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^ The AX-5 is a manual transmission, typically paired up with the 4cyl.

How have you determined that it only leaks in 4WD? Where are you seeing fluid leak or accumulate?
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
puddlejumpinzx

It is a manual. I've driven it in 2wd and it doesnt leak anywhere, I drive on pavement, and its dry. When I put it in four and went up an incline, it leaked probably half a quart (when I drove it up on a rollback). So the fluid only leaks when engaged. I believe it is the transfer case seal as well. The tranfer case uses tranny fluid right?
puddlejumpinzx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlejumpinzx View Post
It is a manual. I've driven it in 2wd and it doesnt leak anywhere, I drive on pavement, and its dry. When I put it in four and went up an incline, it leaked probably half a quart (when I drove it up on a rollback). So the fluid only leaks when engaged. I believe it is the transfer case seal as well. The tranfer case uses tranny fluid right?
I had mine rebuilt/with heavy duty chain, and when I pulled my rear drive shaft to put in a new u-joint, tranny fluid came out....so that is what they put in it....tranny fluid.

I have synhcromesh gear oil in my ax-15.

If you can get a light on the lower portion of the front drive shaft seal...and get your eyeballs on it....should be able to tell if it's been leaking.

Tags
ax-5 , tranny problem , transfer case leak , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.