HELP! How to tell if 4.2 Ignition control module is bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! How to tell if 4.2 Ignition control module is bad?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 01-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

HELP! How to tell if 4.2 Ignition control module is bad?

My jeep ignition has been missing for a few days. Today I went and did the team rush mod, rebuilt the carb, and it still runs bad. Does anyone with the 4.2 have experience with the ignition control module going bad? How do I test it. What are the symptoms of a bad one. My jeep is nuttered and has ran great ever since the nutter until now. Help.

90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know how to test it. Shoot me a PM, you can have mine for the cost of shipping.

Typically when they go bad everything just dies like you shut off the key. Then you got to wait a bit and it may or may not fire back up.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
ayerightaye
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ive heard tapping a wrench on it while running would give you an idea. Personally, when I thought mine was bad I bought another and swapped. Turns out it wasn't the problem but they are fairly cheap so now I have an extra. They can crap out without warning so having a spare can't hurt.

"But I thought you fixed it last week!!"
ayerightaye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a sneaking feeling my is going bad on me.
There have been about 3 days in the past year that my Jeep would just die with no warning, all electrical would still be going, it was like I just killed the ignition.
Been too lazy to check into it though.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That was the initial symptom going down the road and all power was lost like I shut off the key. It has been running like it has weak spark for a week or so now. All of the sudden it was fixed and ran fine, now it runs but begins to miss at higher rpms and runs like it has weak spark at idle. I am going to get the ignition control module tested this morning. Thanks guys.
Selby
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
Unread 01-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced the ignition control module this morning, not it! It starts after some work, won't rev over 3k and stumbles and stutters on the way there. Whats next? Distributor?
Unread 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
yjsupporter
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the wiring from when u did the nutter...Loose connections?
yjsupporter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

checked that. Seems almost like a power issue. My starter is weak turning over. It is on the charger.
Unread 01-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think the actual distributor would be bad, I guess it could happen, but I don't think it's real likely and all of your associated parts, cap, rotor, coil, etc. were just replaced with the Team Rush deal. Hmmm, not much left electrically.

I don't remember if there's a condenser under the stock cap, if so, replace it, it's a couple of bucks at most. I used to have a '70 Duster that had similar issues and that ended up being the culprit.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.